ADVERTISEMENT

What's your opinion on...

Rod_the_Rebel

UNLV Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2016
small guard play or general small ball in the mountain west? It seems like our big guards and forwards from last year didn't do so well in MWC play. Since we're obviously playing small this year due to us being plagued with injury/inexperience do we have a chance to at least match our conference record from last year based on small guard mw ball? None of our teams seem particularly big compared with the higher caliber teams at the moment. Our starter at the 5 is 6'7.

Reactions: RebelScrub
The team i watched against CSU didn't look capable of winning 8 conference games. 2 or 3 maybe. Hope they look better as the year goes on. Not sure there's a lineup adjustment answer to what ails.

I suppose the lineup id most like to see is Poyser, Mooring, Baxter, Jones, Morgan. With Morgan hurt that may not really happen for a while. En lieu of that, more minutes for Green and maybe CD grows up fast.

Force more turnovers and commit less. Take decent shots. Don't get smoked by bad teams like CSU. That's all I hope to see for now.

It works when you have talent and u get into a offensive pissing match with another team. U need somebody to crash the board and capable ball handlers.

Wont work in the Mountain West

I suppose the lineup id most like to see is Poyser, Mooring, Baxter, Jones, Morgan.

JoJo Mooring has shown flashes as a three-point shooter, and he has hit some great shots from considerable distance during the OOC season. But watching him at CSU this week, trying to be a ball-handler, he was seriously over-dribbling, resulting in inevitable turnovers.

I like him, but he's strictly a two-guard. Unfortunately so is Poyser. I certainly don't blame these guys. They're trying to play a position for which they have no experience. Until we manage to recruit a quality PG, The Rebels will continue to struggle.

Are they really that hard to find? Or are our recruiters so enamored with the long, athletic types that they're overlooking the floor-generals?

On an aside...The game vs Wyoming is a special 1 pm start. It will be streamed on The Mountain West Network & UNLVRebels.com.

An aside to the aside: Is it just me, or does Tony Cordasco sound like every play is the most surprising thing he's ever witnessed? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate he and Jevon Banks providing play-by-play and color commentary, it's just that his style cracks me up. Anyway, I hope there's a decent turnout for the game (although, I doubt it), but if you can't be there, the live stream is available.

4017.jpg

Go Rebels!

The live stream is an attempt to keep fans by a sacrifice at the gate. I am curious where they will come up with the multi-millions to cover the TKM budget deficit this year?

I take back any criticism I may have made about Mooring. JoJo was terrific vs Wyoming. Seven assists to one turnover to go with 17 points. I still feel like he over-dribbles a bit, but he was definitely the MVP of this game.

It looks like Coach Menzies has settled on Mooring at the point and Poyser at the two-guard position. They complimented each other well. And a great day at the free-throw line. Let's hope it carries over to upcoming games.

unlvlogosl-1.jpg

Go Rebels!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT