ADVERTISEMENT

What does CDR do when Musselman leaves UNR?

GoRebs2000

NBA Draft Pick
Mar 18, 2007
Musselman is obviously leaving Reno this offseason for something better. What does CDR do?

At last, our evil plot exposed! 12-steps to basketball harmony:

1.) Hire an ex-scrub as HC

2.) Give him 4+ years to drive the program straight to the bottom

3.) Publicly, and clumsily fire him mid-season, creating an unfriendly environment for future coaches

4.) Botch the HC-search so badly that it takes until April to get someone on board.

5.) The signing period having come and gone, Coach Marvin Menzies is forced to staple together a collection of rejects to field a team that has only 3 returnees

6.) Allow this JV-team to achieve the kind of results one would expect

7.) Meanwhile, Coach Rice has moved up north to an assistant’s job with UNR.

8.) Wait for Musselman to improve Reno’s team enough to garner an offer from a P5 school, which he immediately takes

9.) Get Rice in as their next HC, given his experience.

10.) Watch, as UNR sinks steadily in the standings

11.) Put state-of Nevada basketball back in its proper order

12.) Hire Beyonce, J-Lo & Brittany Spears to do the halftime show of the UNR game. Michael Buffer stays home. Because beating Reno is the highlight of our...week?

We’re busted!

biker-smiley-emoticon-2.gif

Go Rebels!

Reactions: NTownRebel
He will take over at the helm and immediately start recruiting point guards and assembling a coaching staff that has no head coaching experience.

No inside info but Think he was forced to hire guys with head coaching experience (because he had no experience) and was expected to listen & learn from them. Three head coaches and a 4'th guy that thinks he should be is a recipe for disaster.

Musselman is obviously leaving Reno this offseason for something better. What does CDR do?

He certainly takes the job, if offered. CDR 2.0 will be a better head coach than the original version of CDR. He will learn from his Maryland Parkway mistakes. Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

I hope he gets the job if Muss departs; hope he does well.

At last, our evil plot exposed! 12-steps to basketball harmony:

1.) Hire an ex-scrub as HC

2.) Give him 4+ years to drive the program straight to the bottom

3.) Publicly, and clumsily fire him mid-season, creating an unfriendly environment for future coaches

4.) Botch the HC-search so badly that it takes until April to get someone on board.

5.) The signing period having come and gone, Coach Marvin Menzies is forced to staple together a collection of rejects to field a team that has only 3 returnees

6.) Allow this JV-team to achieve the kind of results one would expect

7.) Meanwhile, Coach Rice has moved up north to an assistant’s job with UNR.

8.) Wait for Musselman to improve Reno’s team enough to garner an offer from a P5 school, which he immediately takes

9.) Get Rice in as their next HC, given his experience.

10.) Watch, as UNR sinks steadily in the standings

11.) Put state-of Nevada basketball back in its proper order

12.) Hire Beyonce, J-Lo & Brittany Spears to do the halftime show of the UNR game. Michael Buffer stays home. Because beating Reno is the highlight of our...week?

We’re busted!

biker-smiley-emoticon-2.gif

Go Rebels!

I'm really insulted by #1

Reactions: khokhol8
He certainly takes the job, if offered. CDR 2.0 will be a better head coach than the original version of CDR. He will learn from his Maryland Parkway mistakes. Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Nope. His failures had nothing to do with judgement. CDR 2.0 isn't better tan CDR 1.0

Its CDR.

Nope. His failures had nothing to do with judgement. CDR 2.0 isn't better tan CDR 1.0

Its CDR.

Well, you may be right...The original version of CDR won over 65% of his games, made two NCAA appearances, posted perfect APR scores and never a whiff of NCAA problems. The 2.0 version might not post those digits...I wish him well.

I don’t agree. Rice showed no signs of learning from his mistakes. Every season that he was here showed a descent from the previous one.

It was mentioned that he won 65% of his games and made two NCAA appearances. But on closer inspection we see that his positive statistics all came in his first two seasons, when he was feeding-off of Lon Kruger’s left-overs. As the teams became more of his own creation, we sank in the MW standings and played no games in March.

Look, I think Rice is a decent guy. When it come to the important things in his life, I wish him nothing but the best. But as long as he remains associated with that particular university, I cannot be in his corner.

They are the enemy. Not in the sense that they are rivals on an equal footing. They clearly are not. Were that the case, they would have recognized that we were a team in flux and recording a blow-out victory under those circumstances would be a hallow achievement. Instead, they took the opportunity to celebrate the win as if they had just knocked off the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Definitely minor-league stuff.

But they are our rivals for the keys to the state coffers. We have always been on the short-end of the budget. Because the state government offices are located to the north, they have been the recipients of inordinate amounts of financial considerations. So, in that way, and only in that way, we are competitors.

Therefore, have a nice life, Dave. But for as long as you choose to work for that school, I will root for you to fail.

mean-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

I don’t agree. Rice showed no signs of learning from his mistakes. Every season that he was here showed a descent from the previous one.

It was mentioned that he won 65% of his games and made two NCAA appearances. But on closer inspection we see that his positive statistics all came in his first two seasons, when he was feeding-off of Lon Kruger’s left-overs. As the teams became more of his own creation, we sank in the MW standings and played no games in March.

Look, I think Rice is a decent guy. When it come to the important things in his life, I wish him nothing but the best. But as long as he remains associated with that particular university, I cannot be in his corner.

They are the enemy. Not in the sense that they are rivals on an equal footing. They clearly are not. Were that the case, they would have recognized that we were a team in flux and recording a blow-out victory under those circumstances would be a hallow achievement. Instead, they took the opportunity to celebrate the win as if they had just knocked off the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Definitely minor-league stuff.

But they are our rivals for the keys to the state coffers. We have always been on the short-end of the budget. Because the state government offices are located to the north, they have been the recipients of inordinate amounts of financial considerations. So, in that way, and only in that way, we are competitors.

Therefore, have a nice life, Dave. But for as long as you choose to work for that school, I will root for you to fail.

mean-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

I like him. Class guy all the way. Class on the court, class off the court.

He just isn't head coach material.

Everybody is certainly entitled to their own opinion of CDR as a coach, but not their own set of facts. The facts are that he has won over 65% of his games as a HC and has the third-best record as a Rebel HC; behind Tark & Lon Kruger. Kind of sounds like a HC.

Not sure what "head coach material" means, but you are what your record says you are.

It doesn't work that way. He started with a quality team he inherited from coach Kruger, and the team went downhill every year from year 1 through his last season as a head coach. Any coach can start with a top 25 level program and win games, the question is what happens after all the players and training from the previous coach are gone.

2011–12 UNLV 26–9 9–5 3rd NCAA Round of 64
2012–13 UNLV 25–10 10–6 3rd NCAA Round of 64
2013–14 UNLV 20–13 10–8 T–3rd
2014–15 UNLV 18–15 8–10 7th
2015–16 UNLV 9–7 0–3

It doesn't work that way. He started with a quality team he inherited from coach Kruger, and the team went downhill every year from year 1 through his last season as a head coach. Any coach can start with a top 25 level program and win games, the question is what happens after all the players and training from the previous coach are gone.

2015–16 UNLV 9–7 0–3

2015–16 UNLV 9–7 0–3

I guess he didn't win 65% of his games; my bad...

I guess he inherited Katin Reinhart from Lon. My bad.

I guess he inherited BDJ from Lon. My bad.

I guess he inherited Khem Birch from Lon. My bad.

I guess he beat Indiana with Lon's guys. My bad.

I guess he beat Oregon with Lon's guys. My bad.

I guess he beat Arizona with Lon's guys. My bad.

He DID beat North Carolina with Lon's guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Don-F
Really? You seem to be one of the few people in LV that believes Rice can coach. Listing a bunch of high profile 4/5* players says even more about the fact that Rice can't coach. You should also look up those players and find out how many of them left the team because of various reasons mostly to do with the fact they didn't believe the program was going in the right direction for them or because the coaching staff couldn't handle the temperament of the players.

Katin Reinhart was a head case that was gone after one season. - How was he coached up while at UNLV?

Bryce Dejean Jones was an even bigger head case. Kicked out of USC for punching another player. Kicked out of UNLV for getting into fights with other player, and then went on to be benched by Iowa State for not following coaching directions. The coachings staff couldn't even handle him.

Khem Birch left the program after two years because he didn't see any benefit of staying another year. He went undrafted in the NBA draft.

Anthony Bennett was considered a solid player coming out of high school and was drafted #1 in the NBA. His skill level had shown no improvement during his year at UNLV, and he is considered the biggest #1 draft bust in NBA history.

For every good win you can find under coach Rice, I can find at least 5 bad loses.

You are trying to defend a coach that had his record degrade 5 straight years by listing a bunch of high profile players is your way of defending his ability to coach?

Everybody is certainly entitled to their own opinion of CDR as a coach, but not their own set of facts. The facts are that he has won over 65% of his games as a HC and has the third-best record as a Rebel HC; behind Tark & Lon Kruger. Kind of sounds like a HC.

Not sure what "head coach material" means, but you are what your record says you are.
You are clearly attached to your set of “facts”. Statistics can be used as a gauge of a player’s or coach’s productivity. But they are not the be-all and end-all of the discussion. Stats can sometimes be misleading. In DR’s case I believe they tell a story that is incomplete.

You’re attempting to insist that he was a solid head coach. Were we outsiders, reading only the numbers, as you are committed to presenting them, your argument might seem reasonable. But we are Rebel fans. We lived through his 4+ year tenure, and you want us to ignore what our eyes and hearts told us. He had no control over his players. They did not play as a team. And the situation clearly worsened in each passing year. He showed no aptitude for in-game management. For each instance where his team knocked off an Arizona, Indiana or Oregon, I can respond with losses to Colorado State, Wyoming, Boise St, Utah St, Air Force or Fresno St.

I would argue that the wins over high-profile teams are another argument against DR's ability as a head coach. Clearly the talent was there. When properly motivated they could compete with the best teams in the land. But he was unable to inspire his players on a consistent basis. That is not the earmark of a good coach.

You think we should deny what was obvious to any one of us because you can continually dredge up the same misleading statistics? You will never convince the denizens of Rebel-Net that Rice was a quality head coach. We quite simply, and emphatically, know better.
talk-to-the-hand-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Really? You seem to be one of the few people in LV that believes Rice can coach. Listing a bunch of high profile 4/5* players says even more about the fact that Rice can't coach. You should also look up those players and find out how many of them left the team because of various reasons mostly to do with the fact they didn't believe the program was going in the right direction for them or because the coaching staff couldn't handle the temperament of the players.

Katin Reinhart was a head case that was gone after one season. - How was he coached up while at UNLV?

Bryce Dejean Jones was an even bigger head case. Kicked out of USC for punching another player. Kicked out of UNLV for getting into fights with other player, and then went on to be benched by Iowa State for not following coaching directions. The coachings staff couldn't even handle him.

Khem Birch left the program after two years because he didn't see any benefit of staying another year. He went undrafted in the NBA draft.

Anthony Bennett was considered a solid player coming out of high school and was drafted #1 in the NBA. His skill level had shown no improvement during his year at UNLV, and he is considered the biggest #1 draft bust in NBA history.

For every good win you can find under coach Rice, I can find at least 5 bad loses.

You are trying to defend a coach that had his record degrade 5 straight years by listing a bunch of high profile players is your way of defending his ability to coach?

Anthony Bennett's bust was not Rice's fault...maybe he was at blame for recruiting Katin Reinhardt and BDJ...but it's iffy.

I think he will be successful up north, too bad we were his "on the job training" gig. Otherwise, great person

I think he will be successful up north, too bad we were his "on the job training" gig. Otherwise, great person
No one is disputing Rice’s qualities as a human being. He is clearly a good person. It’s his aptitude, or lack thereof, as a head coach at the D-1 level. He was consistently out-maneuvered by his opposing coaches. He showed no talent toward inspiring young men to perform as a cohesive unit. Those are the things that head coaches are graded on.

I supported his hiring when Kruger went for the money. I believed that he had distinguished himself as an assistant at BYU. And I was taken by the idea of having someone with strong ties to our program during it’s most successful years. In his first years, there were signs that he didn’t have complete control of his athletes. It was easy to write these lapses off as missteps by a first-time head coach. I argued that, Rice having been a Rhodes Scholar candidate, he would learn from his mistakes and adjust accordingly.

I was frustrated as the following seasons showed absolutely no signs of improvement. I simply couldn’t understand why he never showed the ability to change his style, to reflect the failures from his previous years. We went from a perennial participant in March Madness, to a “bubble-team” in year number three, to a team with no chance to play in his final full season. And his aborted last season showed exactly the same issues that plagued his previous years.

You can continually quote Bill Parcells ‘til the cows come home. It doesn’t apply to Rice. His learning curve went straight down. Examining all of this evidence and coming up with the conclusion that he will do better if given a chance in Reno, is illogical. If he could have done better, why on earth wouldn’t he have done so while at the job that he already had?

Dave Rice is a good assistant. He’s a very good recruiter. He’s a decent guy. He’s a bad head coach, and there is nothing in his history to suggest that he’s going to improve on that last one…
eating-chinese-food.gif

Go Rebels!

No one is disputing Rice’s qualities as a human being. He is clearly a good person. It’s his aptitude, or lack thereof, as a head coach at the D-1 level. He was consistently out-maneuvered by his opposing coaches. He showed no talent toward inspiring young men to perform as a cohesive unit. Those are the things that head coaches are graded on.

I supported his hiring when Kruger went for the money. I believed that he had distinguished himself as an assistant at BYU. And I was taken by the idea of having someone with strong ties to our program during it’s most successful years. In his first years, there were signs that he didn’t have complete control of his athletes. It was easy to write these lapses off as missteps by a first-time head coach. I argued that, Rice having been a Rhodes Scholar candidate, he would learn from his mistakes and adjust accordingly.

I was frustrated as the following seasons showed absolutely no signs of improvement. I simply couldn’t understand why he never showed the ability to change his style, to reflect the failures from his previous years. We went from a perennial participant in March Madness, to a “bubble-team” in year number three, to a team with no chance to play in his final full season. And his aborted last season showed exactly the same issues that plagued his previous years.

You can continually quote Bill Parcells ‘til the cows come home. It doesn’t apply to Rice. His learning curve went straight down. Examining all of this evidence and coming up with the conclusion that he will do better if given a chance in Reno, is illogical. If he could have done better, why on earth wouldn’t he have done so while at the job that he already had?

Dave Rice is a good assistant. He’s a very good recruiter. He’s a decent guy. He’s a bad head coach, and there is nothing in his history to suggest that he’s going to improve on that last one…
eating-chinese-food.gif

Go Rebels!

The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews…Sandy Koufax

65% of the time, CDR did a good job.

Reactions: packblue
What I was pointing out regarding Bennett and all of the other high profile players is that while coach Rice may have been able to recruit top level players, he was not able to control them, coach them up, or get them to play as a team. The few high profile wins they had were more based on athletic skill then any coaching by Rice.

What I was pointing out regarding Bennett and all of the other high profile players is that while coach Rice may have been able to recruit top level players, he was not able to control them, coach them up, or get them to play as a team. The few high profile wins they had were more based on athletic skill then any coaching by Rice.

MM is a good coach. Note that at NMSU, he won 64% of his games.

The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews…Sandy Koufax

I think what everyone is trying to say here is that we need TKM at the helm of the athletic department. Or did I totally read this situation wrong? 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 Lets gooooo basketball!

MM is a good coach. Note that at NMSU, he won 64% of his games.

WAC is a shit conference tho

I don't think Rice gets the job of musselmen left (sp)

.536 win percentage in the MW... guess that's good enough for some?
Not nearly. That's why he's not here anymore.

Let's hope we can have an abrupt turnaround and improve on our current .211 winning percentage in conference, especially since last season the conference was at its all time lowest and doesn't figure to be much better next season.

Back to the thread topic, at least as far as the title of the thread goes, if I am Mussellman, I take Rice everywhere I go.

You are what your record says you are...Bill Parcels.
It would appear that you’ve gotten your money’s-worth out of “Bartlett's Familiar Quotations”. Here, I’ve got one too:

“There are three types of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics”…Attributed in North America to Mark Twain, but originally credited to British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli.

Wikipedia goes on to note ” "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster ”weak arguments."

Continually dredging up quotes that really don’t apply to Rice does nothing toward convincing anyone who’s experienced the last 5 years of Rebel Basketball, that he lacks the ability to head a successful D1 program. He clearly does not.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But despite your reliance on out-of-context quotes, it is, just that. Your opinion. If Parcells or Koufax have any relevant thoughts about Dave Rice's coaching, I'll be happy to listen. Otherwise, they really have nothing to contribute to this discussion.

If UNR eventually decides to go with him as their next head man, they will, in my opinion, ultimately regret it.

Feel free to quote me on that...
pinocchio.jpg

Go Rebels!

Last edited:
Oh Snap!
crazy-shooting.gif

Go Rebels![/

In the words of Coach Herm Edwards, you play to WIN the game. 65% of the time, CDR's teams won the game. Do I have that number wrong? Correct me, if my digits are inaccurate.

Coach Tarkanian won 82% of the games he coached at UNLV, while Coach Kruger won 69% of the games he coached as a Rebel. It is my opinion that they were better than CDR and the numbers seem to support such.

Opinions become personal, while statistics take emotion out of the room. This really isn't complicated.

Its a matter of time before he leaves. Musselman (sp?) will continue to own the conference and in two years he's gone.

Said with a great amount of bitterness - he was a damned good hire. UNR finds the diamonds in the rough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT