ADVERTISEMENT

We are the backup plan?

LOL.. they would need to offer a really really good deal at this point for UNLV to not stay put and wait for those 6 to come crawling back... They tried to take out the king and it didnt work.
What it does tell you is they had no plans t pay the exit fees for the AAC teams and the anticipated revenue for TV is either equal or close enough that it didnt make sense to move. So why not play hard ball and keep getting the cash. They now need the MWC 8 more than we need them

LOL.. they would need to offer a really really good deal at this point for UNLV to not stay put and wait for those 6 to come crawling back... They tried to take out the king and it didnt work.
What it does tell you is they had no plans t pay the exit fees for the AAC teams and the anticipated revenue for TV is either equal or close enough that it didnt make sense to move. So why not play hard ball and keep getting the cash. They now need the MWC 8 more than we need them
I tend to agree. Still see possible value in going, but it's much less than originally expected. The fat stacks that pac 2 pay the mwc per scheduling agreement combined with the exit fee, hard to say no to keeping that if MWC is also willing to give UNLV unequal distribution.

Just an update on this. Over the last 20-30 mins, lots of rebuking that this is a "done deal"
I would be surprised if Gonzaga said no that has to be a huge increase for them. But maybe the PAC doesn't really want to offer that much which makes more sense.

So what would the PAC have to gain by offering a full share? Reputation? Making it easier to attract football schools? A better network contract? Maybe it's not true but if it is I wonder the reasoning behind it.
I posted this elsewhere. It could mean ESPN is in the Pac2+ TV deal talks and they might be pushing hard to get their darling into a better conference.

Last edited:
good point.

Hey look on the brightside guys! With BOISE/CSU/SDSU/USU out of the conference UNLV only has to beat out New Mexico to get an auto bid for basketball..We're on top again boys!

Also don't tell me you aren't looking forward to the electric atmosphere at the Mack when newest basketball only member of the MWC CAL STATE SAN LOSER ABYSMAL comes to town.

Reactions: TheMatrix31
I posted this on the confidential board:
I think we will wake up in the morning with UNLV in the PAC, but striking a deal with them to cover the exit fees. UNLV seems like they have the high ground for once in their existence. Maybe UNLV really did play this thing out right, maybe they just drove the dagger into the coffin. I don’t like the idea of sticking it out in the MW because of “money” now… it’s short sighted esp with the tv contract coming to an end in 2 years. There just isn’t enough out there to replace what was lost now that 5 schools have gone. The only issue is now that AAC said no, who else is going to join the remaining teams in the PAC? Let’s face it basketball will be dogs*** in the new MW, while PAC is actually looking decent with Gonzaga. Attendance will be even more abysmal playing against UTEP, Montana, etc. If Utah State stayed put I think a merger was the only option left for the PAC.

Hey look on the brightside guys! With BOISE/CSU/SDSU/USU out of the conference UNLV only has to beat out New Mexico to get an auto bid for basketball..We're on top again boys!

Also don't tell me you aren't looking forward to the electric atmosphere at the Mack when newest basketball only member of the MWC CAL STATE SAN LOSER ABYSMAL comes to town.
lol- I’m a football first guy but if I was a basketball first guy I’d be furious too. This new basketball conference will be hot garbage too.
Maybe we can add some more sub 300 net teams like Sac State to fit right in with AFA and SJSU.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
lol- I’m a football first guy but if I was a basketball first guy I’d be furious too. This new basketball conference will be hot garbage too.
Maybe we can add some more sub 300 net teams like Sac State to fit right in with AFA and SJSU.

Same here. I'm a casual basketball fan at best. Watch the Rebs and March Madness. That's it.

And you are correct.

The trickle down impact is going to be felt beyond football.

Reactions: RebelinWA
I can only find the Gonzaga AD stating that them leaving the WCC "is not accurate."

A couple of big outlets (CBS sorts I think?) tweeted something to the effect that PAC and Gonzaga were in talks and Gonzaga was expected to announce a move to PAC. About 30 minutes later they all retracted it.

Reactions: RebelinWA
I posted this on the confidential board:
I think we will wake up in the morning with UNLV in the PAC, but striking a deal with them to cover the exit fees. UNLV seems like they have the high ground for once in their existence. Maybe UNLV really did play this thing out right, maybe they just drove the dagger into the coffin. I don’t like the idea of sticking it out in the MW because of “money” now… it’s short sighted esp with the tv contract coming to an end in 2 years. There just isn’t enough out there to replace what was lost now that 5 schools have gone. The only issue is now that AAC said no, who else is going to join the remaining teams in the PAC? Let’s face it basketball will be dogs*** in the new MW, while PAC is actually looking decent with Gonzaga. Attendance will be even more abysmal playing against UTEP, Montana, etc. If Utah State stayed put I think a merger was the only option left for the PAC.
I could see Grand Canyon becoming a player in a few years. The school has a lot of money and being a private school is not held to the same regulations is public schools and explains how their basketball program has improved so quickly.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Probably because they thought football was “done”. Or at least they assumed it would be. Just guessing though

Possible.

Mentioned this before as a possibility of what went down.

PAC had been in contact with Memphis for some time. Had a handshake agreement that they would join and bring Tulane, USF and UTSA along. PAC bought it. Memphis meanwhile used this as leverage to get a better deal out of the AAC. I'm not sure they ever were all that serious about jumping ship.

If UNLV, for some dumb reason, turns down the PAC, it'll be another MW school they take. Even if their only option left was UNR. SJSU/UNM/Wyoming would be my guess. Reason I bring this up is because, the PAC still holds all the cards. When USU broke rank, all MOU went out the window. Not just UNLV's. They need us to save face, but we're not getting anywhere near what the 4 original traitors are getting. We'll be LUCKY if they pay our exit fees at this point.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

It’s UNLV basketball we will find a way once again not to win the conference.

If UNLV, for some dumb reason, turns down the PAC, it'll be another MW school they take. Even if their only option left was UNR. SJSU/UNM/Wyoming would be my guess. Reason I bring this up is because, the PAC still holds all the cards. When USU broke rank, all MOU went out the window. Not just UNLV's. They need us to save face, but we're not getting anywhere near what the 4 original traitors are getting. We'll be LUCKY if they pay our exit fees at this point.
If they don’t pay our fees then I would say AAC and they can have Reno.

“That’s the play honestly” says one athletic director with knowledge of the situation…

This article presumes(?) that the departing members get a vote on conference dissolution?

And apparently Hawaii gets a vote.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT