ADVERTISEMENT

Votes in coaches poll

From coaches perspective MWC is AF, Wyo, UNLV at this point. Fresno and SDSU are struggling offensively. UNLV is better at this point than the rest of the MWC except for Wyo and AF. If UNLV continues to improve on reaction time on long balls and qb runs we may move up. BSU is the puzzle piece. Very dangerous team with inconsistent coaching or inattentive players at times.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
From coaches perspective MWC is AF, Wyo, UNLV at this point. Fresno and SDSU are struggling offensively. UNLV is better at this point than the rest of the MWC except for Wyo and AF. If UNLV continues to improve on reaction time on long balls and qb runs we may move up. BSU is the puzzle piece. Very dangerous team with inconsistent coaching or inattentive players at times.
Bad QB play = mediocre team... we should know, that's how we've been for years.. they just have better talent on all sides of ball than we did so it's easier to cover up...

Crazy to think we could be bowl eligible after this week if we take care of business. Not to get too far ahead (since we’ve seen this move before), but I can actually see this team winning 10 games. Probably won’t happen, but 8 or 9 is definitely within reach.

Crazy to think we could be bowl eligible after this week if we take care of business. Not to get too far ahead (since we’ve seen this move before), but I can actually see this team winning 10 games. Probably won’t happen, but 8 or 9 is definitely within reach.

If Rebs win games they are likely to be favored in (could change based on future results) you have CSU, UNM and SJSU.

Win just those you got 8 right there.

Getting to 9 will be really tough though. Fresno, Wyoming and Air Force. Two of those are on the road. I can see maybe Wyoming since it's at home?

Personally receiving votes feels a bit premature. Our Schedule has just been too weak.

To the Rebs credit they are beating bad teams in the way legit top 25 teams would.

But it feels like you would have to beat someone in the top 50 to qualify, right?

But its crazy to think that our football is receiving votes, who woulda thunk!?!?

Personally receiving votes feels a bit premature. Our Schedule has just been too weak.

To the Rebs credit they are beating bad teams in the way legit top 25 teams would.

But it feels like you would have to beat someone in the top 50 to qualify, right?

But its crazy to think that our football is receiving votes, who woulda thunk!?!?
Fresno was ranked without a win against a top 50 team, including 2 wins vs the 2 worst teams in CFB... While it sounds crazy, team that start 5-1, 6-0 in G5 get credit for doing what they're supposed to do regardless of schedule strength. SOS really comes into play for top 10/CFB playoff decisions in rankings, and thats not in our cards, lol

Fresno was ranked without a win against a top 50 team, including 2 wins vs the 2 worst teams in CFB... While it sounds crazy, team that start 5-1, 6-0 in G5 get credit for doing what they're supposed to do regardless of schedule strength. SOS really comes into play for top 10/CFB playoff decisions in rankings, and thats not in our cards, lol
Yeah, but winning on the road against 2 power 5 schools, before the world knew how bad they were, is the difference there.

Also Fresno was good last year and that definitely plays a role in this.

also our schedule has been especially bad, even for g5.

They were also ranked because they finished last season on a tear after getting healthy. Culminating in a win over WASU in bowl game. They were probably viewed as 'others receiving votes' when the season started.

Had a good start to the season.Beat two P5 schools (bad but P5 nonetheless). Some of the teams above them lost. By attrition they moved up despite no signature or quality wins.

Last edited:
Just take a look at what Michigan has done to teams in conference since playing UNLV. UNLV was outplayed, but looked a lot better than Nebraska, Minnesota, or Indiana.
I'm wondering the same. I'm not sure if they took it easy on us or what.

A few different ways we could take it. Their head coach wasn’t there. Did they take it easy on us due to not deemed a threat. Was that the best the 2 interim coaches could do. Or did we actually do ok against a major power.

Reactions: RRebel
A few different ways we could take it. Their head coach wasn’t there. Did they take it easy on us due to not deemed a threat. Was that the best the 2 interim coaches could do. Or did we actually do ok against a major power.
It' didn't feel like they took it that easy. I was expecting for them to be heavy on the run and wear us down, but they were close to 50/50 run to pass, even calling designed runs for their QB(s). It felt like the interims were trying to prove themselves some.
We played much more vanilla then they did, surprisingly enough.

Why is this a conversation, do you guys want a rematch with Michigan? LOL

I think that both UNLV and Michigan gotten better. UM got players that were out against us as well as their head coach.

Why is this a conversation, do you guys want a rematch with Michigan? LOL

I think that both UNLV and Michigan gotten better. UM got players that were out against us as well as their head coach.
I also see apologists right now for UNLV having a 5-1 record. I see it on this board and on twitter/online. "Oh but weve played a soft schedule, oh, look at the bad teams weve played... etc." as if thats makes us any less than 5-1. We've beaten every team we should have. That's all you can hope for. That doesn't put any asterisks next to the record or season when its all said and done. So yeah, we played Michigan, we lost but not as badly as expected, so lets rehash why they took it easy on us as if that makes the other 5 wins not what they are...

When was the last time UNLV was rated higher than unr, Boise State, SDSU, and BYWho? Nice to see the yells that BSU and SDSU should be in a major conference have all but disappeared!

I also see apologists right now for UNLV having a 5-1 record. I see it on this board and on twitter/online. "Oh but weve played a soft schedule, oh, look at the bad teams weve played... etc." as if thats makes us any less than 5-1. We've beaten every team we should have. That's all you can hope for. That doesn't put any asterisks next to the record or season when its all said and done. So yeah, we played Michigan, we lost but not as badly as expected, so lets rehash why they took it easy on us as if that makes the other 5 wins not what they are...
My thing is this - we were what, a very easily predictable 11-1 last OOC in hoops? But it didn't tell us anything. Many extrapolated that to so much more than it actually was because they were starry eyed with the 11-1. Menzies 20 winned a season playing complete nobodies along the way in conjunction with a very weak league. It was our weakest OOC schedule since that sort of stuff has been tracked. That 20 doesn't mean we were any good at all. Sure, UNLV and any super UNLV friendly mouthpieces played it up as something significant, but it wasn't. We all (should) know that.

If AFA 40 points us, if Wyoming, Fresno beat us, if SJSU or CSU squeaks one out ... then the 5-1 doesn't add up to being a predictor of future success.

A weak 5-1 and weak DOES NOT mean we will falter just as a strong 5-1 doesn't mean you are going to win league ... but not all 5-1's are created equal, even if they are the same on the surface.

On one side you can't read much into their 5-1 record, look at last year, but on the other side UNLV has been dominate in all but the win over Vanderbilt! Since we have not had a chance to play the better teams in the MWC, not that there are very many good teams, all we can do is compare to who they have already played.

UNLV beat unr by 18 at their stadium after what looking like them putting the breaks on for most of the second half. The same unr played Fresno State to within 18 on their home field, played Kansas even until the very end.

UNLV beat Hawaii by 24 with the team on cruise control for the entire second half, while SDSU had to come back in the fourth quarter to win by a TD.

UNLV beat UTEP by 17 at their home field while a much better than expected Arizona beat them by 21 at their own stadium. The same Arizona that lost by 7 to 7th ranked Washington, by 2 to 9th ranked USC, and destroyed 19th ranked Washingto State by 38.

UNLV was down 17 to 0 to Vanderbilt and found a way to come back to win the game. While Vandy isn't winning games, they stayed within 17 to 1 Georgia and 23rd ranked Mizzou.

What I am saying is that UNLV has easily won all but the Vandy game while most of the MWC has struggled to even have a winning record. Only Air Force, Wyoming and Fresno State even have winning records. I know it reads like I am reaching, but I truly believe UNLV is in great shape to win 8 or more games.

On one side you can't read much into their 5-1 record, look at last year, but on the other side UNLV has been dominate in all but the win over Vanderbilt! Since we have not had a chance to play the better teams in the MWC, not that there are very many good teams, all we can do is compare to who they have already played.

UNLV beat unr by 18 at their stadium after what looking like them putting the breaks on for most of the second half. The same unr played Fresno State to within 18 on their home field, played Kansas even until the very end.

UNLV beat Hawaii by 24 with the team on cruise control for the entire second half, while SDSU had to come back in the fourth quarter to win by a TD.

UNLV beat UTEP by 17 at their home field while a much better than expected Arizona beat them by 21 at their own stadium. The same Arizona that lost by 7 to 7th ranked Washington, by 2 to 9th ranked USC, and destroyed 19th ranked Washingto State by 38.

UNLV was down 17 to 0 to Vanderbilt and found a way to come back to win the game. While Vandy isn't winning games, they stayed within 17 to 1 Georgia and 23rd ranked Mizzou.

What I am saying is that UNLV has easily won all but the Vandy game while most of the MWC has struggled to even have a winning record. Only Air Force, Wyoming and Fresno State even have winning records. I know it reads like I am reaching, but I truly believe UNLV is in great shape to win 8 or more games.
I am hesitant to go more than one game at a time. Things can go sideway fast if not careful. Young team and new staff. ONE GAME AT A TIME....

We are in terrific shape to win 8 games. We’ve positioned ourselves as perfectly as we can.

For me, bowl eligibility means success in year one and we will get that.

By my eyes, I really like what I see on the field. The multidimensional offense, special teams, coaching, etc. By eyes, so much better than what we’ve seen in the last dozen years, maybe further than that.

What I want to see - win OR lose - is the same type of play; the same focus, the same non-panic … similar efficiencies … against teams that are better than us.

Nice to see the yells that BSU and SDSU should be in a major conference have all but disappeared!
SDSU was 12-2 two seasons ago and won 7 games last year if Im not mistaken have gone to a bowl game 12 straight seasons, They played in the National Championship game in BB and were on track for a 2 seed in 2020.

Their FB team is down this season, their coach is on the hot seat and to the eye test they arent very good, but of their 4 losses 3 are UCLA, Oregon St and AFA. They have 5 games left and 4 are against bad teams the other is Fresno so they could potentially play in another bowl game this year.

Hopefully for any school considered a candidate for a better conference its based on a body of work bigger than one season. SDSU was all but a lock to the PAC a couple of months ago until the wheels fell off that conference.

SDSU was 12-2 two seasons ago and won 7 games last year if Im not mistaken have gone to a bowl game 12 straight seasons, They played in the National Championship game in BB and were on track for a 2 seed in 2020.

Their FB team is down this season, their coach is on the hot seat and to the eye test they arent very good, but of their 4 losses 3 are UCLA, Oregon St and AFA. They have 5 games left and 4 are against bad teams the other is Fresno so they could potentially play in another bowl game this year.

Hopefully for any school considered a candidate for a better conference its based on a body of work bigger than one season. SDSU was all but a lock to the PAC a couple of months ago until the wheels fell off that conference.
Figurative speaking, there are more than the wheels fell of the PAC...the muffler, the transmission, the engine, the doors, the side panels...what left are just the door knobs...with a bag of money hanging on it.

Bowl eligibilities is not a standard----Barry Odom.
We should be ranked. We should be championships---that is one small step---Coach Odom
You gotta love when coaches have a vision to be great, more than being just good enough.

If you aim mid level and come close, eh. If you aim high and fall short, you’re still higher than the latter.

I don’t want anybody in any program at UNLV that comes with the thoughts of a ceiling. Even if there is one.

I talk to friends and coworkers every week about the team. Everyone is impressed with the 5-1 record and even I let them know it hasn't been against tough competition. I don't see myself as an apologist. Over the years, I think I've been trained to temper my own expectations.

Having said that, we have been so solid in so many areas, even against bad competition, that it's hard not to get excited. I think the stats represent all of things we're doing that have contributed towards our achievements thus far.

We're scoring, and preventing the other teams from scoring, better than our yards per game reflect:

Total Offense: 52nd, Scoring Offense: 14th
Total Defense: 105th, Scoring Defense: 75th

The fact that we're ranking 30-40 spots better in each of those categories shows that we're getting things done in different ways.

Our special teams has been terrific this year, consistently giving our offense a shorter field to work with. That definitely attributes towards us putting more points on the board that yards will reflect.

We're 5th in 3rd down pct conversion rate. Instead of punting or kicking, we're sustaining drives and converting them into TD's.

In addition to that, we're 5th in redzone scoring pct. Only once have we been in the redzone and left without a score (bad INT by Maiava vs UTEP)

We're doing great winning the turnover battle. Ranked #3 in turnover margin at +9 on the year.

It would be great if we can continue these trends for the rest of the year, but it will get tougher. I'm most concerned with how our defense will look against the remaining competition in the league. It will get harder, not easier, that's for sure.

I talk to friends and coworkers every week about the team. Everyone is impressed with the 5-1 record and even I let them know it hasn't been against tough competition. I don't see myself as an apologist. Over the years, I think I've been trained to temper my own expectations.

Having said that, we have been so solid in so many areas, even against bad competition, that it's hard not to get excited. I think the stats represent all of things we're doing that have contributed towards our achievements thus far.

We're scoring, and preventing the other teams from scoring, better than our yards per game reflect:

Total Offense: 52nd, Scoring Offense: 14th
Total Defense: 105th, Scoring Defense: 75th

The fact that we're ranking 30-40 spots better in each of those categories shows that we're getting things done in different ways.

Our special teams has been terrific this year, consistently giving our offense a shorter field to work with. That definitely attributes towards us putting more points on the board that yards will reflect.

We're 5th in 3rd down pct conversion rate. Instead of punting or kicking, we're sustaining drives and converting them into TD's.

In addition to that, we're 5th in redzone scoring pct. Only once have we been in the redzone and left without a score (bad INT by Maiava vs UTEP)

We're doing great winning the turnover battle. Ranked #3 in turnover margin at +9 on the year.

It would be great if we can continue these trends for the rest of the year, but it will get tougher. I'm most concerned with how our defense will look against the remaining competition in the league. It will get harder, not easier, that's for sure.
He got the slow growth memo and wiped his arse with it, thankfully.

You gotta love when coaches have a vision to be great, but just be good enough.
Sound like our AD Eric Harper is allowing him to chase his dream. This dude is going for it. Odom is chasing the National Championship? Let roll with him fellas...

You gotta love when coaches have a vision to be great, more than being just good enough.

If you aim mid level and come close, eh. If you aim high and fall short, you’re still higher than the latter.

I don’t want anybody in any program at UNLV that comes with the thoughts of a ceiling. Even if there is one.
As long as the ceiling is a national championship, then I am OK!

Sound like our AD Eric Harper is allowing him to chase his dream. This dude is going for it. Odom is chasing the National Championship? Let roll with him fellas...
Both know the only way for UNLV to be relevant in athletics is to take a massive leap. Look at all the attention they're getting. They've made winning a standard so quickly its insane to think Arroyo took 15 games to win once... having a HC that knows how to be a HC and isn't Learning on the job is huge. Didn't feel need to completely tear program apart even though he brought in his fair share of transfers. Didn't hide behind excuses. Just flat out does the job

One thing for sure, they mentioned before the game started, they had I think the OC and QB's coach or something (assistants for sure), one coached and called the first half, and another the second. They also moved the roster around a bit. They wanted to get their staff some play-calling time.

Didn't notice this till after I posted, and yeah, I'm sure this likely had some influence on covering.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT