ADVERTISEMENT

Votes in coaches poll

3+ decades of mostly losing is a hard fear to break! After last season starting off at 4-1 followed by a total collapse makes many of us trigger shy!

What's funny is that last year at 4-1 the UNLV defense was actually playing pretty well. Just felt like they ran out of ideas. (Simplistic view) But honestly they just felt stagnant the rest of the year.

This defense is giving up more yards and points but have also been far more disruptive

Like everybody else I worry about the struggles against the deep ball. But it hasn't really hurt them because they've created so many turnover, sacks and tackles for loss in addition to being really good on third down.

Definitely needs to get better in that area, but everywhere else they've been pretty disruptive and stout.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
3+ decades of mostly losing is a hard fear to break! After last season starting off at 4-1 followed by a total collapse makes many of us trigger shy!
I guess it’s culture/tradition. You’re used to what you are used to, your expectations match that. Deviance from that “norm” causes some conflicts. With basketball, glory to not winning, with football, from not winning to some promise. It’ll make you react strangely sometimes.

Personally receiving votes feels a bit premature. Our Schedule has just been too weak.

To the Rebs credit they are beating bad teams in the way legit top 25 teams would.

But it feels like you would have to beat someone in the top 50 to qualify, right?

But its crazy to think that our football is receiving votes, who woulda thunk!?!?
Yeah we are definitely overrated but it is nice to have that respect to get some votes and be ranked 39th. Considering where we were at only a year ago it sure is quick improvement makes me interested to see what he does with a full off season.

Yeah we are definitely overrated but it is nice to have that respect to get some votes and be ranked 39th. Considering where we were at only a year ago it sure is quick improvement makes me interested to see what he does with a full off season.
I think the simple facts that UNLV score 40 pts on these teams without trying to run up the scores against their opponents speak volume. The team is getting better each game, too. And that is visible and transparent.
That being said, CSU offence strongest strengths is our greatest weakness on D. If Coach O can play D with our offence, keeping their offence off the field, he could seriously opens eyes for UNLV moving closer to top 30.

CBS sports has us at 66 and ESPN has us at 84.

Easily the worst 1 loss team in both polls. Reclaiming the "worst of the best" award again!

For reference ESPN has Air Force at 47
We’re in the middle. By ranking we’re average, which is what we are at this point. Thats a huge step up from being in the Bottom 10 every week for years on end. Finish the season with 8 wins and we’re above average. Finish with 9+ and we’re an above average winning team (albeit for only one season).

At this point 8 is a very good possibility with CSU and Wyoming at home, SJSU (home as well) and UNM. I think we split with CSU and Wyoming and then beat UNM by 18+ and win a close game to finish the season against SJSU. I give us a 12% chance to beat AF, and a 25% chance to beat both CSU and Wyoming. I have no idea which Fresno team will show, but I doubt we win that game.

Last edited:
We’re in the middle. By ranking we’re average, which is what we are at this point. Thats a huge step up from being in the Bottom 10 every week for years on end. Finish the season with 8 wins and we’re above average. Finish with 9+ and we’re an above average winning team (albeit for only one season).

At this point 8 is a very good possibility with CSU and Wyoming at home, SJSU (home as well) and UNM. I think we split with CSU and Wyoming and then beat UNM by 18+ and win a close game to finish the season against SJSU. I give us a 12% chance to beat AF, and a 25% chance to beat both CSU and Wyoming. I have no idea which Fresno team will show, but I doubt we win that game.
I agree. I/m not trying to pee in everyone's cheerios here. I am super happy with our season so far. And I am confident as I can be that we make it to 8 games given the hesitant nature of a fan of a terrible program.

Due to our strengths and weaknesses I think we have a 40% chance at AFA, 75% to beat CSU, 50% against Wyoming, and 40% against Fresno.

Currently I think 7 wins is our realistic floor, with 8 being the most likely floor. 9 wins our most likely ceiling.

I just wanted to point out that being a middle of the pack FBS team is different than a legit top 25 team which is a top 18% of FBS.

AFA just lost their starting QB Saturday as well, might be out at least several games.. Yes, he doesnt throw a lot, but the dude was a barn burner track star playing QB within their system. The backup hasnt run much or played much in his time at Air Force.

The best thing about how we are playing is that the players will stay motivated through the last game. How many times did guys get "injured" prior to the last game, or just flat out stop giving full effort and time? I can tell you that it was every season that I was around players!

The best thing about how we are playing is that the players will stay motivated through the last game. How many times did guys get "injured" prior to the last game, or just flat out stop giving full effort and time? I can tell you that it was every season that I was around players!
I still think we are an average, pretty much smack dab in the middle team …. Which is a huge improvement.

I’ve enjoyed a lot about this season so far. The Michigan game didn’t throw me, what happened was what was supposed to happen.

One of the best parts so far for me? The celebration of stomping UNR was so short lived. By the team, by the fans.

I still think we are an average, pretty much smack dab in the middle team …. Which is a huge improvement.

I’ve enjoyed a lot about this season so far. The Michigan game didn’t throw me, what happened was what was supposed to happen.

One of the best parts so far for me? The celebration of stomping UNR was so short lived. By the team, by the fans.
Most likely you are correct, which is a huge jump from where UNLV was prior to the new coaching staff, but we really will not know until we get through the second half of the season. If UNLV can win 1-3 games verse Air Force, Fresno State and Wyoming, that will go a long ways to finding out how good UNLV really is on a national level.

It is really nice that we can actually look at what bowl game we could end up playing in, and even looking at the outside possibility of going to the conference championship. It is nice to still have hope half way through the season!

It's nice when beating Reno doesn't mean mission accomplished.

Coach Odom is a huge fan of "We will celebrate this win tonight but it's on to the next opponent ASAP ". He has brought a SEC mentality to our team THANK You Coach because we need to focus in on the Big Picture. He is openly talking of winning a MWC Championship in Football this year and I am here for it. If we can come in 2nd or 1st we are in the Championship game.

We got a vote in the AP Poll. woohoo. And, more votes in the Coaches Poll.

AND we received 2 more votes than last week

I think we are getting the respect we deserve.

Squeaking out a walk off win at home against a bottom 40 team probably shouldn't move the needle much. I think we are a top 50-60 team most likely. Getting a few votes due to

We have 3 game coming up against good teams that will probably tell us the truth on how good we are. Starting with this weekend. ( all top 35 teams according to CBS)

Interesting to see how we battle.

They're a bottom 40 team now? Last couple weeks everyone was talking them up as if their record wasnt 3-3 barely going into the game...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT