ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Anyone?

Worse than every school that left, but what is the alternative? Tor PAC and MWC are hurting each other neither have good options to complete their conferences other than schools currently in one or the other. When the MWC was formed it took schools from the WAC and Big West to created a formable conference. These two conferences had the ability to do something similar obviously not better then the former PAC but could have been an upgraded MWC now there are two leagues looking for garbage to complete the conference.

Last week UTEP bs CSU was watched by 56k viewers

A few weeks ago UTSA vs Texas State had 24k viewers

Getting into Texas means nothing if you are grabbing schools that no one in TX cares about which is every school in TX not currently in a P4 conference. But as I said above what is the alternative? Better choice than any MAC school.

Getting into Texas means nothing if you are grabbing schools that no one in TX cares about which is every school in TX not currently in a P4 conference. But as I said above what is the alternative? Better choice than any MAC school.

Terrible numbers for sure BUT it was more than the Fresno vs New Mexico game that day also on TRU Tv.

In all fairness I think the TRU Tv numbers are going to be bad for a while. At least until people associate Tru with college football.

Thanks for the link. It does show how the network and time make a huge difference. Hell the Apple Cup with uw on Sept 14 doesn't even show up because it was on Peacock. UTSA/Texas St? My cable package does not get ESPNU.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Neither of these schools help the bottom line for the next contract.
But getting into Texas, the central time zone does help a little. Even if it is just for recruiting.
But the TV viewership especially for Texas State is just putrid. I do think some of that is screwed because certain stream only games i do not think count. Like MW network for instance don't count. I like some of these stream only espn+ type games also do not count skewing the numbers.
But 24 k and 56 k are not good

Reactions: ijspencer
I would have thought that we would be concentrating 100% of our energy on landing Texas State. Then this UTEP news comes up. I wonder if the MWC couldn't secure a deal with Texas State. I guess we will find out this week sometime.

I think arguing about the merits of UTEP is kinda silly, considering we need teams to survive. There aren't a lot of options out there.

Anybody we take is one less the PAC can get.

No UTEP doesn't drive tons of viewership numbers but it's a city of 700k people.

I'll take a few eyeballs in Tex over none at all.

I mean let's be honest up until last season we haven't been much better.

Terrible numbers for sure BUT it was more than the Fresno vs New Mexico game that day also on TRU Tv.

In all fairness I think the TRU Tv numbers are going to be bad for a while. At least until people associate Tru with college football.
Agree with that but it’s also the product on TruTv

You tell me that Oregon vs Ohio St next Saturday Is on Tru and I’ll find it. Utep vs anyone on thier schedule and I’m not watching even if it’s on ABC at 1230 or 5pm.

Reactions: RebelinWA
I would have thought that we would be concentrating 100% of our energy on landing Texas State. Then this UTEP news comes up. I wonder if the MWC couldn't secure a deal with Texas State. I guess we will find out this week sometime.
I think they're doing both.
And UTEP had 40k attend their home opener according to X... so they have support to be a good program

I think they're doing both.
And UTEP had 40k attend their home opener according to X... so they have support to be a good program
That’s impressive especially given it was against Southern Utah. They must have had glory holes in the men’s room or something for that game.

According to this their 5 year average attendance is 17k. So probably right in line with the leftover MWC schools?

11. UTEP MINERS​

2023 Stadium capacity percentage: 38.91 percent
2023 attendance avg: 18,160
2022 attendance avg: 19,134
Year-over-Year change: -5.09 percent
5-year attendance avg: 17,348
5-year percentage change: +4.68 percent

• Haha
Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Should we expect that any schools receiving an offer will be required to sign some kind of acceptance of increase in budget or attention toprograms?

Obviously MWC isn't in advantageous enough position to require signing docs like we were hearing about early in the Pac12/MWC merge conversations ("$60million in 2 years or else" language).

Anything like that be expected?

We need at least 2 schools to survive so I think we’re focusing on both right now.

I don’t think it’s bad to let Texas State know we’re serious about adding more teams east of our current footprint.

It helps that UTEP is the only football show in town. UTEP has some upside. El Paso 2.5 times the population of Boise. If UTEP can get things going; their local population would be second of the schools that exited. Only SDSU is larger. I see a lot of similarities between UTEP and UNLV football under Hauck.

Should we expect that any schools receiving an offer will be required to sign some kind of acceptance of increase in budget or attention toprograms?

Obviously MWC isn't in advantageous enough position to require signing docs like we were hearing about early in the Pac12/MWC merge conversations ("$60million in 2 years or else" language).

Anything like that be expected?
I'm sure there will be conversations about quality and possibly tie that to payouts not related to media revenue such as tournament credits. Or they come in at a reduce media rights percentage but can hit the Metrics to get full revenue

Streaming on minor networks is never good for anyone programs with few exceptions. On truTV UTEP v CSU had 56K viewers (one of the PAC teams), and Fresno State v New Mexico 55K (one of the pact teams). The week before taht NMSU v Fresno State 64K truTV. The best TruTV viewership I could find was Idaho v Wyoming 85K. ESPNU Memphis v Troy 20K viewers. Arkansas v Ark Pine-Bluff ESPNU 129K. One exception was BSU v Georgia Southern 158K on ESPNU.

Get on CW and you get 223K - 542K
Get on FS1 and you get 128K - 963K (Montana State v New Mexico - 506K with two small markets)
Get on ESPN2 and you get 160K - 1.15 million
Get on BTN and you get 112K - 1.72 Million
Get on ESPN and you get 629K - 4.99 million
Get on NBC and you get 1.29 million - 5.67 million
Get on CBS and you get 1.13 million - 6.32 million
Get on ABC and you get 1.29 million - 8.62 million
Get on Fox and you get 1.03 million - 9.19 million

ESPNU is as bad as TruTV in most cases. This was why UNLV viewership was so bad in the past.
If you get on ESPNU or TruTV, you are lucky to get even near 100K viewers no matter what the team, while on some of the major networks, even with some of the same teams, you can see viewership skyrockets.

UTEP can regain some of their magic if they can get some serious support. Their attendance numbers could pick up by playing some members in this conference. I think they had almost 30k in the game vs UNLV last year.

This week they are playing….Sam Houston. Can’t blame the locals for not getting jazzed over that one.

Fun fact, I like Marty Robbins UTEP Song but it is not as good as getting memphis to join the conference!!

yo we ditch Hawaii and head east.

Memphis is the key to all this!!

Streaming on minor networks is never good for anyone programs with few exceptions. On truTV UTEP v CSU had 56K viewers (one of the PAC teams), and Fresno State v New Mexico 55K (one of the pact teams). The week before taht NMSU v Fresno State 64K truTV. The best TruTV viewership I could find was Idaho v Wyoming 85K. ESPNU Memphis v Troy 20K viewers. Arkansas v Ark Pine-Bluff ESPNU 129K. One exception was BSU v Georgia Southern 158K on ESPNU.

Get on CW and you get 223K - 542K
Get on FS1 and you get 128K - 963K (Montana State v New Mexico - 506K with two small markets)
Get on ESPN2 and you get 160K - 1.15 million
Get on BTN and you get 112K - 1.72 Million
Get on ESPN and you get 629K - 4.99 million
Get on NBC and you get 1.29 million - 5.67 million
Get on CBS and you get 1.13 million - 6.32 million
Get on ABC and you get 1.29 million - 8.62 million
Get on Fox and you get 1.03 million - 9.19 million

ESPNU is as bad as TruTV in most cases. This was why UNLV viewership was so bad in the past.
If you get on ESPNU or TruTV, you are lucky to get even near 100K viewers no matter what the team, while on some of the major networks, even with some of the same teams, you can see viewership skyrockets.
I tried to find UNLV/FSU viewership but no luck anyone know what that number was?

While looking I found this. Interesting that UNLV/Kansas viewership was over 1.3M compared to 841K the previous week Kansas/Illinois and 1.15M for Kansas/WV the week after our game. https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

When you look at the realistic alternatives then UTEP is O.K. The Traitor Four forced us into this and there isn't any huge win available.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT