ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread UNLV vs UCLA - Week 2

I predict that Barney Cotton won't be our offensive coordinator next season....I have zero inside knowledge but i've seen Sanchez body language around Cotton, and I see a head coach that doesn't like the way the offense is being run. I may be completely wrong....it just seems that way.
I think it has more to do with the jimmy's and joe's than the x's and o's. Can't wait til we get more depth on O especially at QB.

LOL....I love the fandom cops if any post appears to be negative...my comment wasn't me passing judgement on Sanchez nor Cotton (It's Barney, btw, not Barry)....just something I noticed in the NIU game, then comments made afterward, and now the same thing I noticed in the UCLA game..... Youve got be on the same page as your coordinators....I don't see that, but maybe I'm wrong.

Barry Cottons going no where.

Some of you so called fans amaze me!!!!

Sanchez is trying to change the culture and so far he is doing a pretty good dam job!!!

Its not Cotton's fault as much as it is Palandech not being familiar with/ having a different skill set from Decker. The plays they had Palandech run against Niu were built for him, and weren't all that numerous. I hope Decker isn't out for long, Palandech being in means having to reteach and retool the offense completely. I don't think Palandech is our guy. Looking at Sanchez's history, he likes dual threat quarter backs. Palandech has a terrible arm. We are starting back at square zero. I ll hope for him turning into a Caleb Herring for his senior year.

Defense was phenomenal first half. Held 13th ranked team in country to 10 points. Offense without Decker very one dimensional. Hopefully Decker is ok for next week or a full week with the 1s helps Palandech.

Its not Cotton's fault as much as it is Palandech not being familiar with/ having a different skill set from Decker. The plays they had Palandech run against Niu were built for him, and weren't all that numerous. I hope Decker isn't out for long, Palandech being in means having to reteach and retool the offense completely. I don't think Palandech is our guy. Looking at Sanchez's history, he likes dual threat quarter backs. Palandech has a terrible arm. We are starting back at square zero. I ll hope for him turning into a Caleb Herring for his senior year.
I said it in another thread where people were calling for Palandech to be the starter. The offense would have to be molded completely around him to be succesful. And even then his shortcomings as a passer would be problematic.

As for Caleb, he had a great senior season but lets be honest his redshirt freshmen year was awful his sophomore year was terrible his junior year he played WR. I am was happy as anyboby with what he did his senior year, but I don't think there is anybody on this board that can honestly say when they gave Sherry the hook they were excited to see Caleb.

Reactions: RebelinWA
The ONLY bad thing that happened today was losing Decker. Don't get me wrong, that is a VERY bad thing and it could totally derail the season. But if you walked away anything but impressed with UNLV football after that game, I don't know what you were watching.

It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game but can someone explain how UCLA muffed that first punt, we recover the ball yet its somehow UCLA ball. Even the UCLA fans sitting around me said that was a gift call.

The ONLY bad thing that happened today was losing Decker. Don't get me wrong, that is a VERY bad thing and it could totally derail the season. But if you walked away anything but impressed with UNLV football after that game, I don't know what you were watching.

I'm going to give Sanchez plenty of time to get things rolling here. There were many things that I liked from last night's game. However, one thing I was not was "impressed"....at least not in the overall product. I guess after watching UNLV football since the 70's, I've learned to not get overly "impressed" with coaches/teams too early....and I'm certainly over being impressed after a butt whooping... I am hopeful, however.

Thanks for pointing at the obvious rebelx. Barney not Barry. Next time I'll proof read it very carefully just for you rebelex.

There has been a dark cloud around this program forever and some of us want to see the clouds disappear. When statements are made that 'BARNEY COTTON won't be our offensive coordinator next year " I'm going to respond to a stupid response.

Thanks for pointing at the obvious rebelx. Barney not Barry. Next time I'll proof read it very carefully just for you rebelex.

There has been a dark cloud around this program forever and some of us want to see the clouds disappear. When statements are made that 'BARNEY COTTON won't be our offensive coordinator next year " I'm going to respond to a stupid response.

You do whatever you want to fella... I wasn't trying to be an ass, and I wasn't implying the guy would be fired, I just think that Sanchez wants the reins on offense and hasn't been overly excited with the play calls. I stated an opinion.

Btw, you were the 2nd person to call him Barry in the thread, I just thought you didn't know his name.

Also, take a look when I signed up as a member of this board...add 4 or 5 years to that, to when the board really started. I haven't been posting here for close to 19 years because I don't care.....I dont need some jackass showing up and questioning my fandom over an innocuous comment.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Seems to me, some weeks/months ago on this board, many said they'd be satisfied w/ 2 or 3 wins. I think we all knew UNLV would not win these first 3 games, so, after next week, we'll be 0-3. Except for the disaster that has put Decker out, I think we still need to be hopeful for this season, even w/ 2-3 wins.

This is an all-new team, basically, & maybe Sanchez is learning, himself, the difference in talent and coaching between HS and an FBS program. Many here have encouraged patience, and that's what I suggest, after only 2 games.

Hey Rebelx I have been posting here since 2006. Look in the mirror if you want to see a Jack Ass.

I never said " you didn't care", but I will say you might be Jaded.

I do not think Cotton's job as offensive coordinator is in any kind of jeopardy. Especially after 2 weeks. Week one the offense was very good putting 30 points on the board and 500 yards of offense. Two drops in the endzone and one that would have kept the potentially game tying drive were bigger reasons why we lost than any questionable play calling.

Week 2 the offense struggled. Even with Decker in the game we were probably not going to put up more than 17-20 points. UCLA is a top 10 defense in the nation. Sanchez stated he wanted to get Palandech a series or two per game. He wanted at least one QB on the roster with playing experience next season. Palandech and Decker's skill sets are very different. I think with a week or two to tailor the offense around Palandech's strengths should help.

I think it is way way way to early to be calling for coordinators to be replaced.

Cotton also has a two year contract as well as Baer. They are locked in at least for the first two year.
Gotta say, the defense has given up a lot of yards but they have shown good toughness.

Cotton also has a two year contract as well as Baer. They are locked in at least for the first two year.
Gotta say, the defense has given up a lot of yards but they have shown good toughness.
The Rebel D did a helluva good job on containing Josh Rosen & the Bruins in the 1st half. Altho at the game, I can't remember how far into the 2d half that the Rebel D began to weaken. But, I'm proud of the Rebel D in what it did to contain the Bruins. Much promise there.

I do not believe the Bruins would have covered the spread if Decker were not injured.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT