ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV vs fresno, we played

1rebelfan1

Conference POY
Dec 1, 2012
not to lose instead of to win. I put that loss squarely on the coaching staff. I really think that the team should have won the last two games but our play calling has been like going into a stall in basketball years past. Our Rebels are not good enough to stop playing and hold on to a slim lead. We need to continue to score and run up the score if that is a consequence. Before the season began, I would have been happy with winning the cannon back but I drank the Kool-Aid and thought that we could go bowling this year but, because of our timid play, we are definitely behind the proverbial 8 ball.

Reactions: RunninRebels90
not to lose instead of to win. I put that loss squarely on the coaching staff. I really think that the team should have won the last two games but our play calling has been like going into a stall in basketball years past. Our Rebels are not good enough to stop playing and hold on to a slim lead. We need to continue to score and run up the score if that is a consequence. Before the season began, I would have been happy with winning the cannon back but I drank the Kool-Aid and thought that we could go bowling this year but, because of our timid play, we are definitely behind the proverbial 8 ball.
A bowl game was going to be tough regardless this year.

Even if we finish the season 4-8 or 3-9 or 5-7 there have been huge improvements made. Defense averaged giving up 40 points a game last year. This year we have yet to give up 40. We lost by an average of nearly 3 TDs a game last year. There are a lot of positive things happening this year. A bowl game would have been great, this year, but even with the MWC down still difficult. Changing the culture of a program that has been down for as long as ours has is difficult.

Hauck made a bowl in year four with a senior laden team. My guess is Sanchez will have us in a bowl next year or year three at the latest, and it won't be a one and done situation like Hauck.

A bowl game was going to be tough regardless this year.

Even if we finish the season 4-8 or 3-9 or 5-7 there have been huge improvements made. Defense averaged giving up 40 points a game last year. This year we have yet to give up 40. We lost by an average of nearly 3 TDs a game last year. There are a lot of positive things happening this year. A bowl game would have been great, this year, but even with the MWC down still difficult. Changing the culture of a program that has been down for as long as ours has is difficult.

Hauck made a bowl in year four with a senior laden team. My guess is Sanchez will have us in a bowl next year or year three at the latest, and it won't be a one and done situation like Hauck.
Good points, but it's just impossible for me to have that perspective after tonight's loss. Frankly, this looked like a Bobby Hauck game, and that's why it stings so bad.

Defense looked clueless. Offense was unimaginative. Special teams were terrible. Defense gave up big plays all over the place. Lots of third down conversions for FSU. Tackling was bad.

This game was a blast from the past, in all the worst ways.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Good points, but it's just impossible for me to have that perspective after tonight's loss. Frankly, this looked like a Bobby Hauck game, and that's why it stings so bad.

Defense looked clueless. Offense was unimaginative. Special teams were terrible. Defense gave up big plays all over the place. Lots of third down conversions for FSU. Tackling was bad.

This game was a blast from the past, in all the worst ways.
It think the same thing people said about the NIU game fit here. NIU fans said UNLV had so much success on offense, because they had no tape. We had very little tape on this kid from Fresno. I agree defense looked a little lost to start this game. They got better through the middle of the game, but got tired late.

Trust me it was frustrating to watch. But do you blame Palandech for taking sacks, or was the Oline not giving him enough time? Are receivers not getting open consistently enough? Hard to say from the outside looking in.

I just think its to much to expect a team that won a total of 2-3 road games for Hauck's entire tenure to all of a sudden start stringing together wins on the road. I am never happy about a loss, but putting it in perspective, we are far more competitive this year than last year. At least we are in games in the fourth quarter. That isn't something we could say last year.

Why the reversion, though? Why did the "team that won 2-3 road games for Hauck's entire tenure" show up tonight instead of Coach Sanchez' #TheNewEra Rebels? It's just frustrating and I can't blame anyone who is turned off by this performance. NOT TO MENTION (and I hadn't thought of this til now...) that this game was on NATIONAL TELEVISION. ESPN2. Not CBSSports or ESPN streaming or the MWN. ESPN2... and you go out there and lay an egg? It was Hauck. That's all I can say about it. And I thought that Hauck's Rebels were dead and buried. We had 5 games to support the optimism and enthusiasm surrounding the program. That went out the window.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still be there cheering every step of the way, and I hope others will too. And I'll even say that Having one "Hauck" game out of 6 isn't all that bad when you consider that the team is largely made up of Hauck players with Hauck tendencies. But like I said, this was just a terrible time for Hauck to have his homecoming. When the opponent was sooooooo beatable, the exposure was greater than ever, AND WE HAD A BAD TEAM DOWN 14 POINTS IN THE 3RD QUARTER... Sanchez' Rebels needed to finish the game. They didn't.

Time to try and sleep this one off.

Why the reversion, though? Why did the "team that won 2-3 road games for Hauck's entire tenure" show up tonight instead of Coach Sanchez' #TheNewEra Rebels? It's just frustrating and I can't blame anyone who is turned off by this performance. NOT TO MENTION (and I hadn't thought of this til now...) that this game was on NATIONAL TELEVISION. ESPN2. Not CBSSports or ESPN streaming or the MWN. ESPN2... and you go out there and lay an egg? It was Hauck. That's all I can say about it. And I thought that Hauck's Rebels were dead and buried. We had 5 games to support the optimism and enthusiasm surrounding the program. That went out the window.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still be there cheering every step of the way, and I hope others will too. And I'll even say that Having one "Hauck" game out of 6 isn't all that bad when you consider that the team is largely made up of Hauck players with Hauck tendencies. But like I said, this was just a terrible time for Hauck to have his homecoming. When the opponent was sooooooo beatable, the exposure was greater than ever, AND WE HAD A BAD TEAM DOWN 14 POINTS IN THE 3RD QUARTER... Sanchez' Rebels needed to finish the game. They didn't.

Time to try and sleep this one off.
Trying to talk you off the ledge here.

The team is primarily all Hauck's players. Outside of 4-6 freshmen who are getting significant snaps the team is all Hauck's guys. Tonight was a bad performance overall. Offense put up 28 defense couldn't hold a 14 point lead. Defense forced three and outs a couple of times and gave offense relatively short field. and they couldn't capitalize.

The reason that the team that won 2-3 road games during Hauck's tenure showed up is that its essentially the same guys like you said. Look at it this way, this staff has had this team in a position to win 3 other games besides the two we already won. We were a TD and 2 point conversion from going to overtime with NIU and had every chance to win the SJSU and Fresno State games. We could easily be 5-2 or 4-3 if a ball bounces our way or a guy makes a tackle or a catch etc. But that is part of the process of building up a program that has been down as long as ours has. To be honest I think we are ahead of schedule.

Statistically we are so much better on defense than we were last year its not even funny. Offensively we are running the ball better but our passing yardage is way down. Some of that is by design with style of offense we run some of it is poor QB play, offensive line struggling in pass protection and some falls on receivers with drops.

I really don't want to put down any players that are currently on the team. There are some really talented guys on this team just not enough of them yet, or enough that fit what Sanchez and staff want to do.

One thing I hate about people jumping on the band wagon, is when those people jump off.

We are a playing with a backup limited quarterback and expecting the same results. Kurt did a pretty decent job for 3 quarters. Much better in some respects than I expected. Rebels were primarily run based but of his passes most were pretty decent.

Maybe the coaches went too safe in the last two drives but it's easy to say that when you're coaching for your couch.

Give some credit to FSU and their coaching staff. They had something to prove. CTD job is on the line and they are playing at home. I didn't predict a score this game because I just was too damn worried about it. I knew the Bulldogs have their back against the wall and that is the last team you want to face.

I would have been much more confident with Decker in the game or available. Whatever. Disapponted we lost, but FSU is a much better team than their record. Im still proud of the Rebels and looking foreward to Sanchez building this program.

It was a good game and I'm enjoying this season. Would love to be 4-3 but were 2-5. The cannon is home and still room to pick up 5 more wins. Go Rebels.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT