ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV picks up another player

I like that Sanchez is going the JUCO route right from the start.

I know he will take heat for focusing on JUCO players at least initially, but for a program like ours with so many needs and holes to fill in order to be competitive with a tough schedule next year, and with a new coaching staff and inexperienced head coach, I think it makes sense to take a short term approach and go for the quick fix with JUCO players.

Both Sanford and Hauck tried to build almost strictly with H.S. players and we saw what the outcome was. We had success with the JUCOs in the past with football and I think it makes a lot of sense to go that route again to get started.

I think this year we will see 6-8 in the class (if they can land who they want) to fill some immediate needs. Both Lines, QB to add depth competition.

After that I expect a few in the secondary and maybe a RB.

It will also be interesting to see in the spring if there are any position changes as well. Excited to watch this class come together.

Originally posted by newyorkrebel:

Both Sanford and Hauck tried to build almost strictly with H.S. players and we saw what the outcome was. We had success with the JUCOs in the past with football and I think it makes a lot of sense to go that route again to get started.
Yet, many of you were crowing how Hauck's emphasis on recruiting HS, esp. local players, will be such a great thing, instead of bringing in JUCO players. Where in h*** are you guys? You just bend whichever way the wind blows. Your assessment now is no more credible than then.

You really should leave, we get you love Hauck, and it's now Internet message board guys fault. I mean seriously grow up Hauck and his staff didn't win, they chose their path and didn't get it done. You can cry excuses or point fingers or you can have some class like Hauck and man up. Btw the answer is never all HS or all JC. UNLV did need a base of high school players and Hauck rebuilt the core, they also desperately needed some JC help especially on the lines, he missed on some of each. You can go support whomever you choose we are excited for a new chapter and new exciting changes and support to help build UNLV's program from the gutter.

Originally posted by rebelx:
You really should leave, we get you love Hauck, and it's now Internet message board guys fault. I mean seriously grow up Hauck and his staff didn't win, they chose their path and didn't get it done....
"x," what's wrong with a little speculation, provide a little perspective? I'm impressed w/ what Sanchez is doing, and I am changing my assessment of Hauck. I'm excited and apprehensive at the same time w/ Sanchez's hiring. All I'm trying to do is add some perspective on Sanchez vs. previous coaches, whether Hauck, Sanford, or others. You don't agree or can't see what I'm doing, fine. But, don't tell me to leave the board. I've become a Rebel fan & want to see UNLV reach the sports heights you all do.

Besides, do you deny that several, if not many, of you on this board were praising Hauck 2 or 3 years ago for his local & HS recruiting emphasis? Do you deny that now several, if not many, of you are praising Sanchez for going the JUCO route? Maybe not the same people in each camp, but I'm commenting re: the direction the board, as a whole, takes. Maybe it means nothing.

BTW, I ran across this post in another, non-football, forum about the Fertittas: "Are they still billionaires? I heard they filed for bankruptcy in 2010 and JP Morgan absorbed their liability." I don't know the truth or not of this, but maybe some of you can provide more info? So, will that $30 million, +/-, stated earlier, show up?

I was one of those that did praise Hauck and his recruiting of local kids, which he did a much better job of than anyone in the past, but his problem turned into the number of bad calls made during the games, and the lack of any improvement with the exception of the one year.

I tried to be supportive, but it was obvious by the end of the Northern Colorado game that the team did not believe in their coaches anymore. From there on it was just a death watch for the coaching staff.

The Fertittas are in good financial condition. It is very possible that one of their companies may have filed for bankruptcy during the recession, but that is really common with the rich. Look how many companies owned by Trump have filed (he is still filthy rich).

Don't really know who or what specifically you are referring to, but at least since 2004, I've been saying on here that recruiting Las Vegas is critical to the success of any head football coach at UNLV.

Even Hauck had success with the locals he brought into the program. Problem for Hauck - partly his fault, but in larger part, the program's fault - he wasn't able to get the critical locals to stay home that he needed to succeed here. If Hauck signs Anu Solomon and Donnell Pumphrey - both players we had a shot at - his career at UNLV might have turned out differently.

So recruiting locals from HS is critical to long term success.

But short term I've always thought JUCO route made sense for UNLV. We have a lot of immediate holes in the lineup that can't be filled with high school kids and we don't have the roster depth we need to fix these holes. So plug the holes with as many JUCOs as you can.

Originally posted by Sonny44:
Originally posted by rebelx:
You really should leave, we get you love Hauck, and it's now Internet message board guys fault. I mean seriously grow up Hauck and his staff didn't win, they chose their path and didn't get it done....
BTW, I ran across this post in another, non-football, forum about the Fertittas: "Are they still billionaires? I heard they filed for bankruptcy in 2010 and JP Morgan absorbed their liability." I don't know the truth or not of this, but maybe some of you can provide more info? So, will that $30 million, +/-, stated earlier, show up?
First, "they" they didn't file bankruptcy. Second, bankruptcy doesn't mean broke. Third, bankruptcy restructuring allows companies/individuals to be profitable once again. Fourth, they still own the UFC. Fifth, and as the kind bcv stated above, the money has already started. It's not going to be the handing over of a huge check. You will, amazingly, start to see a training table emerge...a new practice facility, a $2.75 M assistant's salary budget magically appear.

The small fact that UNLV is spending on assistants is a sure sign the money is coming in.

This season came down to a mix of things, primarily horrible momentum changing coaching calls, lack of a primary running back, 18 interceptions by Decker and a defense that went from solid to porous giving up 513 yards per game.
If Decker was a better game manager, this should have been a least a 5 win season despite the defensive problems.
Northern Illinois, Hawaii, New Mexico and Utah State were 'could of, should of, would of' games.
Coming out of such a productive season in the JC ranks, Decker seemed to be a player that was jut too hungry for the big play often throwing himself out of success.He actually passed for more yard than Herring this season.
The defense had the same number of TFL and more sacks but less plays in the passing game than the season before.
The bottom line in football is that if you turnover the football, you will usually lose

Originally posted by willlevi:
This season came down to a mix of things, primarily horrible momentum changing coaching calls, lack of a primary running back, 18 interceptions by Decker and a defense that went from solid to porous giving up 513 yards per game.
If Decker was a better game manager, this should have been a least a 5 win season despite the defensive problems.
Northern Illinois, Hawaii, New Mexico and Utah State were 'could of, should of, would of' games.
Coming out of such a productive season in the JC ranks, Decker seemed to be a player that was jut too hungry for the big play often throwing himself out of success.He actually passed for more yard than Herring this season.
The defense had the same number of TFL and more sacks but less plays in the passing game than the season before.
The bottom line in football is that if you turnover the football, you will usually lose
I won't say the administration was happy we only won 2 games, but let's just say that it did make the "long" process towads the new staff easier and more justified.

This post was edited on 12/26 12:31 AM by reagan21

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT