ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV/Odom/Marion Getting Attention

I'm kind of curious how the coaching carousel is going to shake down. If you look at some of the OC jobs that are open already it makes me nervous about being able to retain Marion:

A&M, Michigan State, and Northwestern are going to be all new staffs.

Penn State, Arkansas, Indiana, and most likely Iowa all have open OC positions and can easily afford any Marion buyout.

And there's still a long ways to go as the HC at Indiana, Iowa State, Mississippi State, Arkansas, and Houston are all on hot, hot seats right now and Florida, Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, South Carolina, Cal, West Virginia, and VaTech are all at least on very warm seats.

Some of those will assuredly fill from P4 jobs, but as those jobs trickle down Marion is going to look more and more attractive and will be due for a big pay raise. I think Odom will listen, but I think he will probably only take a job if it is a top 30 job in the country, and preferably in his preferred geographic region.

I'm kind of curious how the coaching carousel is going to shake down. If you look at some of the OC jobs that are open already it makes me nervous about being able to retain Marion:

Penn State, Arkansas, Indiana, and most likely Iowa all have open OC positions and can easily afford any Marion buyout.

And there's still a long ways to go as the HC at Indiana, Iowa State, Mississippi State, Arkansas, and Houston are all on hot, hot seats right now and Florida, Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, South Carolina, Cal, West Virginia, and VaTech are all at least on very warm seats.

Some of those will assuredly fill from P4 jobs, but as those jobs trickle down Marion is going to look more and more attractive and will be due for a big pay raise. I think Odom will listen, but I think he will probably only take a job if it is a top 30 job in the country, and preferably in his preferred geographic region.
Miss St coach fired this morning

Last edited:
Not sure some of those big conferences are keen on running a triple option/gogo. I could see Marion landing at reno as head coach because they suck and because they can't afford an experienced head coach.

Can you imagine Marion trying to implement the Go Go in Iowa?

They’d need a complete overhaul of the roster.
Can you imagine trying to run the Go/Go in the Big 10? I don't see that being successful... I'm not certain that Marion jumps to a P5 oc position as I've previously said, due to control issues with HCs, but he could be a candidate for the Pitt job if it opened

going to be difficult to keep both. I’ve already seen both get mentioned as potential candidates at different jobs. I think I’ve seen Odom already mentioned 3 times including this one.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Interesting to see what happens.
We are super happy about this season as we should be.
But...
We have won 1 game against a team with a winning record. The harsh truth is that probably no team in the MW is top 25 worthy. So even if we win out including the championship. That would be 3 games against teams with winning records. And no national news worthy wins.
If Barry Odom hadn't had a decent run at Missou, I dont think he is a legit candidate for a good p4-5 job. Since he is a bit more proven, he gets some more juice this offseason. At least not yet.

As much as I worry about it, I really don't see anyone leaving after one year. Maybe two years.
After Chris Beard, all bets are off in my opinion. Marrion absolutely would (and should) if he gets a P5(4) job with a significant raise. I could see Odom staying until his son is done with HS at least. Not sure what his personal goals/priorities are.

Not saying Marion is 100% staying. But there are some reasons he may stay at least another year.

OK that may not be it. Marion found a place where he can express his creativity and be appreciate for it? The guy may love to perfect his idea and maybe what Reagan said is true he is waiting for some recruits to complete his plan?

If you were Marion, would you take a pay cut maybe inxs of $1mill to stay for a recruit? Something or somebody who have to be profoundly important in his personal life.
He already took a pay cut when he came here. Like Bull said he has reasons to stay here another year. Personal and professional. He wants to be a HC. One more year here and he may get that chance.

An OC at a power school would definitely be a step up. But if that school already has a offensive minded HC, he won't have the freedom that he does here. It sounded like he was frustrated by that with his stops at other bigger schools.
It is possible that he is happy being here where he can really develop his offense more at a higher level without interruption until he gets a HC offer at a decent school. If that is in his goal
I don't think that offer comes in year one.
That being said we better give him a raise.

He already took a pay cut when he came here. Like Bull said he has reasons to stay here another year. Personal and professional. He wants to be a HC. One more year here and he may get that chance.
That was it? Nothing juicer than that shit?

An OC at a power school would definitely be a step up. But if that school already has a offensive minded HC, he won't have the freedom that he does here. It sounded like he was frustrated by that with his stops at other bigger schools.
It is possible that he is happy being here where he can really develop his offense more at a higher level without interruption until he gets a HC offer at a decent school. If that is in his goal
I don't think that offer comes in year one.
That being said we better give him a raise.
If Coach O move on this year, Marion probably as qualified as anyone to UNLV HC if Coach O recommend it. Which make a lot of sense. Michael Scherer know how the Defense Coach O want to run it. Marion just need to bring an OC that is as dynamic as he is or maybe as creative would be interesting.

Last edited:
Perhaps.
What about coach Shibest? A great motivator, one of the best STC in the country. Been around the game for a long time.
Marion is definitely a gamble as the head guy, not totally against the idea but still would feel a bit premature.

Perhaps.
What about coach Shibest? A great motivator, one of the best STC in the country. Been around the game for a long time.
Marion is definitely a gamble as the head guy, not totally against the idea but still would feel a bit premature.
Coach Shibest stays? If he follow Coach O, I am sure Coach O will recommend someone.

The connection between Men's track and field and football is uncanny. UNLV need to create that program. Even in high schools, Track and Field is directly ties to football.

I would just name Marion Head Coach in Waiting and also Associate Head Coach next year, if Odom is still hear next year. That brings stability and a very strong recruiting class.

I would just name Marion Head Coach in Waiting and also Associate Head Coach next year, if Odom is still hear next year. That brings stability and a very strong recruiting class.
No. We dont ever go back to hiring an assistant as a first time head coach. EVER....We use the wonderful base established by Odom and proof that you can use UNLV's facilities and profile to win and attract another quality experienced Head Coach. How have we not learned that yet...

Marion may make a fine head coach one day. Heck, he might get a chance from someone as early as next year... but no, an assistant makes no guarantees that they can run a program, or has the last 2 decades of terrible hires not proven that point?

There are a lot of players/recuits waiting to hear what you say....

I really like what Marion is bringing to the table, but after having a guy that's run a major program at the helm, I don't ever want to go back to guys with 2 years of Div 1 OC experience (and one as playcaller) to run the show. Now if he's here 5-6 years that's another story, but as things stand right now I want a coach who has coordinator and head coaching experience at the P4 level.

I really like what Marion is bringing to the table, but after having a guy that's run a major program at the helm, I don't ever want to go back to guys with 2 years of Div 1 OC experience (and one as playcaller) to run the show. Now if he's here 5-6 years that's another story, but as things stand right now I want a coach who has coordinator and head coaching experience at the P4 level.
I dont want eiether Couev, but the foundation is much better though.

No. We dont ever go back to hiring an assistant as a first time head coach. EVER....We use the wonderful base established by Odom and proof that you can use UNLV's facilities and profile to win and attract another quality experienced Head Coach. How have we not learned that yet...

Marion may make a fine head coach one day. Heck, he might get a chance from someone as early as next year... but no, an assistant makes no guarantees that they can run a program, or has the last 2 decades of terrible hires not proven that point?

While I agree there is definitely being a foundation put in place. I don't think you ever completely tie your hands like that in a coaching search.

Odom wanted the job, he and Harper knew each other. It kind of fell into our lap.

I'd prefer a guy with HC experience 100%.

But if some coordinator is absolutely killing it at a big time P5 school (Arroyo wasn't, he was treading water at Oregon and not viewed favorably) and the pool of guys with experience is thin what do you do.

Last time out Mora was a name in the mix. Had one good season at Uconn and it's been not so good since.

Let's say you got a choice between a Mora type dude in three years and Marion or our current DC which way are you going.

A lot about making a hire is based on what is available to hire.

Again, definitely would prefer a guy with HC experience when the day comes, but I wouldn't set it in stone or back myself into a corner.

While I agree there is definitely being a foundation put in place. I don't think you ever completely tie your hands like that in a coaching search.

Odom wanted the job, he and Harper knew each other. It kind of fell into our lap.

I'd prefer a guy with HC experience 100%.

But if some coordinator is absolutely killing it at a big time P5 school (Arroyo wasn't, he was treading water at Oregon and not viewed favorably) and the pool of guys with experience is thin what do you do.

Last time out Mora was a name in the mix. Had one good season at Uconn and it's been not so good since.

Let's say you got a choice between a Mora type dude in three years and Marion or our current DC which way are you going.

A lot about making a hire is based on what is available to hire.

Again, definitely would prefer a guy with HC experience when the day comes, but I wouldn't set it in stone or back myself into a corner.
Hc experience over the guy that is running the offence and Scherer running the defence? tough choice, If Coach O set this up like I know he did....Marion had control over the offence and Scherer was his D protege'. The success will continues because the key components of the team is maintained.

• You guys are gonna jinx the wonderful season we’re having. Stop talking about everyone leaving please.
  • do we have aluminum/locals to support retention? $$
    • was this the reason for the current hire? /AD
      • how much was increased to support this hire?
        • HC and current staff
          • $(. ).
now that this has been walked through…
  • With the current success…
  • do you think supporters of current hire will do nothing?
    • do you think they could match or compete with other offers?
      • probably good to mention possible names at this point
    • do you think others might step forward to support retention?
  • plans were already in place for an indoor practice field prior to this staff?
    • if those donors think things are headed in the right direction… would they continue that support?
Big question in my mind is- does the valley really want a winning D1 team, because it’s easy to do financially and support in every aspect from the alumni and local strength. crazy talk, but I’ve always thought that’s why UNLV is low or not on lists for P5. Once in that circle- they(P5)realize they would automatically be overcome(tv rev., recruits, NIL.. every aspect I can think of). Feed our university that kind of money to grow itself. 🤯

I think there is a big difference between expecting a 1st time head coach former coordinator to turn this place around and asking the current coordinator who saw the turn around to keep it going.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT