ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV showing up in early bowl projections

This is cool, but way way way too early.

Will be fun to look at IF we reach 6 wins on the year.
Eh, typically football is over in a week or two and basketball is typically over two months later.

This is a nice change of pace. Even if they falter, which would really suck … you need to engage the fans, capture them for a bit … they’ve done that so far, imo.

Eh, typically football is over in a week or two and basketball is typically over two months later.

This is a nice change of pace. Even if they falter, which would really suck … you need to engage the fans, capture them for a bit … they’ve done that so far, imo.
Yes, so far so good.

I'll admit, I have battered-rebel-football-fan-syndrome.

Win this weekend and the bowl hype is looking real. A Loss and I’d put out chances back at under 50/50.

I'll feel really good if we can take care of the next 3: @USU, UNM, @SJSU. At a minimum, have to win 2 out of these 3. We would then be 5-1 or 4-2 heading into the difficult 4 game stretch of the year.

I hope they go to the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl. That’d be a fun game to go to.

Bailey seems like a weak leader. Friel is much better leader.
I'm not saying it's not the case because quite plainly I have no idea.

But where could that thought have even come from? The 30 or so total snaps these two have seen this season? (I recognize that Friel looked good in 2021 when he was called upon.)

We haven't seen Bailey enough or Friel enough in '22 to make that kind of claim, imo. Maybe you've seen more than I have 🤷‍♂️

I'm not saying it's not the case because quite plainly I have no idea.

But where could that thought have even come from? The 30 or so total snaps these two have seen this season? (I recognize that Friel looked good in 2021 when he was called upon.)

We haven't seen Bailey enough or Friel enough in '22 to make that kind of claim, imo. Maybe you've seen more than I have 🤷‍♂️

Again big grain of salt,

But Arrigo has talked about leadership being Bailey's best quality. He spis the first one in to practice everyday, he is great in huddle, and the guys really respond to him and like him.

Brum is by far our best option to win right now, but Bailey is a luxury (potentially) to have at back up.

Also the fact that Bailey went in, not Friel, when Doug had to take a few plays off, should tell you where he is on the pecking order.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
The word "seems" doesn't SEEMS to resonates with some of you, eh? No, I have not see more of Bailey than you have. We all saw what Friel can do. Friel plays less than Bailey, yes I agrees. But beside Brum, which of the two back up have thrown a touchdown?

Reactions: LocoRebel
The word "seems" doesn't SEEMS to resonates with some of you, eh? No, I have not see more of Bailey than you have. We all saw what Friel can do. Friel plays less than Bailey, yes I agrees. But beside Brum, which of the two back up have thrown a touchdown?
Well Bailey threw for 4 touchdowns and had nearly 70 attempts at Tennessee his freshman year.

None for us yet.

As for seems, where are you getting poor leadership from?

Leadership is a very tough quality to assess from afar. Especially with a few snaps in a blowout game, with guys he hadn't been practicing with.

Sure Friel looked better than Bailey that game. Signficantly better. But way difficulty to see what type of leader he is from those reps.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Again big grain of salt,

But Arrigo has talked about leadership being Bailey's best quality. He spis the first one in to practice everyday, he is great in huddle, and the guys really respond to him and like him.

Brum is by far our best option to win right now, but Bailey is a luxury (potentially) to have at back up.

Also the fact that Bailey went in, not Friel, when Doug had to take a few plays off, should tell you where he is on the pecking order.
I have heard Arrigo give Bailey high praise. Really yet to translate on the field, but he hasn't been given a particularly good opportunity. Can't look as bad as he did vs Idaho State and hope to be the guy.

I'd rather we not know at all. Let Brumfield be healthy and play out the season. What's the stat that always gets thrown around about UNLV not having had the same QB for all starts in... 20 years?

Seems... just isn't enough there for me to make any assessment at all, but you're right. Seems is an important word here.

But being a leader and being able to succeed in an offense don't have to happen together. People might argue that Derek Carr is a good leader of men... but guy ain't putting the ball in the endzone enough in 2022.

If you're looking for the guy who I want to he being Brumfield this season on the depth chart, it's Friel. Cause I think he has the best chance to win currently. No idea if he's a good leader.

Just curious how accurate have these predictions been in the past? Hopefully the are very similar to the ESPN guy that does the NCAA brackets!

Well Bailey threw for 4 touchdowns and had nearly 70 attempts at Tennessee his freshman year.

None for us yet.

As for seems, where are you getting poor leadership from?

Leadership is a very tough quality to assess from afar. Especially with a few snaps in a blowout game, with guys he hadn't been practicing with.

Sure Friel looked better than Bailey that game. Signficantly better. But way difficulty to see what type of leader he is from those reps.
To you maybe, I saw it differently...Just an opinion.

No pproblems there. I repsect your opinion.

To me, it just hard to evaluate leadership from a few series in a blowout game. That is all.

I trust this staff enough to evaluate the right guy. Sure they screwed the pooch last year with picking Rogers over Brum. But word is that Brum was hurt during camp, and Rogers looked like a stud.

They made the right decision so far this year.

No pproblems there. I repsect your opinion.

To me, it just hard to evaluate leadership from a few series in a blowout game. That is all.

I trust this staff enough to evaluate the right guy. Sure they screwed the pooch last year with picking Rogers over Brum. But word is that Brum was hurt during camp, and Rogers looked like a stud.

They made the right decision so far this year.
I dont trust them. Brum was in the transfer portal this summer for a reason. One of the nation's best QB playing for UNLV and Arroyo let him go the portal?

I dont trust them. Brum was in the transfer portal this summer for a reason. One of the nation's best QB playing for UNLV and Arroyo let him go the portal?
Well he's back.

Probably some miscommunication there. May have felt he wouldn't get a fair shake with Bailey coming in. He obvisouly did.

Well he's back.

Probably some miscommunication there. May have felt he wouldn't get a fair shake with Bailey coming in. He obvisouly did.
And who fault is that with the "miscommunication"? I dont trust Arroyo after last year craps. And with Brum this year. He is doing a good job but his evaluation is far from satisfactory....

And who fault is that with the "miscommunication"? I dont trust Arroyo after last year craps. And with Brum this year. He is doing a good job but his evaluation is far from satisfactory....
God forbid if Friel transfer. Not a good scenario for UNLV future.....no continuation. Do you thin Bailey is UNLV future starting QB?

God forbid if Friel transfer. Not a good scenario for UNLV future.....no continuation. Do you thin Bailey is UNLV future starting QB?

A few things.

"let him enter the portal"?

Kids are going to do what they are going to do.

First of all, you cannot blame Arroyo trying to land a high quality QB. Injuries have killed us there, especially Brum. He went out and got the highest rated HS recruit in UNLV history, one without injuries problems (i.e Justin Rogers), one that had game action as a true freshman in the SEC with good numbers considering.

Turh is we don't know. Did Arroyo promise Doug he would be the guy and then land Bailey behind his back? Maybe, but I doubt it. It seems that Arroyo is mostly transparent with playing time with his players. Just look at how he handled Martell.

Or Doug made a quick decision since he felt he was being pushed out, and Arroyo talked him back ( he was only in the portal for a couple weeks).

As for the future of the QB position? That's the one place I am NOT worried about. To answer your question, yes I believe that Bailey could be the QB of the future. I am not totally turned off about a couple of shaky series playing with back ups in the first game action in a new offense.

Our top 3 QBs are all underclassmen. I am surprised Friel didn't leave after last year TBH. But yes he could leave, so could Brum. Bailey can't since he used his transfer already. We still have Maiva who nobody is talking about who was a pretty good recruit in his own right. Also this staff has been pretty good at landing quality QBs, so I feel confident they could find another quality guy if the worst were to happen.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
“One of the nation’s best QB’s???” Come on man, let’s come back to reality. They beat north Texas and lost to a bad Cal team.

I can't say how good Brumfield is, but he has won national accolades for his play this year. He was one of the Davey Obrien Great 8 award winners as well as a Manning Award star of the week. He was also the Mountain West offensive player of the week as well as other awards for player of the week.

Reactions: WarthogRebel
Win this weekend and the bowl hype is looking real. A Loss and I’d put out chances back at under 50/50.

Yeah..Lose this one, gets a little murky.

UNM, Reno, Hawaii, Rebs will likely be favored.

You then have to win one of the following games.

Notre Dame
SDSU
Fresno
Air Force
San Jose State

Rebs beat USU, I think they go bowling.

Lose this one and I think it's what my original prediction was, 5-7 with 4-5 very close losses similiar to last year..

Definite growth, but frustrating..

Yeah..Lose this one, gets a little murky.

UNM, Reno, Hawaii, Rebs will likely be favored.

You then have to win one of the following games.

Notre Dame
SDSU
Fresno
Air Force
San Jose State

Rebs beat USU, I think they go bowling.

Lose this one and I think it's what my original prediction was, 5-7 with 4-5 very close losses similiar to last year..

Definite growth, but frustrating..
One game at a time has to be the approach. Have heard the team and coaches preach this so far, but would like to see that mentality continue.

I’m looking forward to Saturday to see if they come out with this mindset and to see if they can continue to build on the momentum they currently have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT