ADVERTISEMENT

News UNLV Football News

LasVegasReb

All American
Feb 16, 2005
Bellevue, WA
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to UNLV Football news where we could link articles. It would be nice if there was one thread that you can peruse to find linked article versus them being all over the board. Maybe BC can create a prefix with 'News' as well.

Last edited:
ESPN Article - 100 Things We're Looking Forward to in 2015

29. High school coach Tony Sanchez making the move to UNLV

The good news for Sanchez and the Rebels? The 41-year-old coach arrives on campus after building one of the nation’s most successful programs at any level. The bad news? He was coaching at Bishop Gorman High School. Say this for Sanchez -- he won’t be awestruck by the circuslike surroundings in Las Vegas. UNLV presents challenges unique to college athletics, and none of the school’s past six coaches, dating to 1985, has etched a winning record. -- M.S.

Last edited:
I noticed that when they showed the graduates from each sport football had some guys listed who still have eligibility which is good to see.

The other guys listed under football were some players back from the Sanford Era which is great and I believe will help with the APR moving in the right direction. Sanitoa, Fred Wilson and Patrick Carroll (2 years of eligibility left) will be suiting up this fall.

FOOTBALL Alvin Amilcar, B.A. - Interdisciplinary Studies Tyler Bergsten, B.S. - Financ Patrick Carroll, B.A. - History Will Chandler, B.A. - Criminal Justice Max Ehlert, B.S. - Hospitality Management Geoffery Howard, B.A. - Communication Studies Greg Hulett, B.S. - Real Estate Jack Killian, B.A. - Public Administration Chase Lansford, B.A. - Communication Studies Shaquille Murray-Lawrence, B.A. - Interdisciplinary Studies Jake Phillips, B.A. - Communication Studies Sonny Sanitoa, B.A. - Criminal Justice Doug Saeks, B.A. - Communication Studies Jordan Sparkman, B.A. - Human Services Siuea Vaesau, B.S. - Kinesiological Sciences Matt Vinal, B.A. - Communication Studies Fred Wilson, B.A. - Film

Mark Anderson just tweeted the 4 year APR average is 937 so team is moving in the right direction in that regard.

Mark Anderson just tweeted the 4 year APR average is 937 so team is moving in the right direction in that regard.

Hallelujah. I was rather worried.

Also means that UNLV posted a score of 958 (only score possible to move from 930 to 937 4-year average). This is VERY good news.

Last edited:
From what I understand the whole APR debacle was actually more clerical and reporting, rather than actually grade issues. The APR was on the low side, but UNLV actually should not have been in as much trouble as was reported. I think the fact the bowl ban was removed a month or two after being handed down points to it not being nearly as big an issue.

New SI article talking about branding. Mentions UNLV Football.

But what about programs with no real tradition? How do they build a brand from scratch? That’s the challenge for Tony Sanchez at UNLV. Sanchez was hired from Las Vegas high school powerhouse Bishop Gorman in December to breathe life into a Rebels program that has gone 31-91 since 2005. “We need to rebrand ourselves,” Sanchez says. “We need to get the community to invest.” Even before his team can play games and form an on-field identity, Sanchez is trying to use that community to help attract prospects. Because while UNLV football has no brand of which to speak, Las Vegas has a powerful, readily identifiable brand. And while previous coaches—former hoops coach Jerry Tarkanian notably excluded—may have tried to minimize the Rebels’ association with the city, Sanchez embraces it. Obviously, the Rebels won’t take recruits gambling on the Strip, but they will attempt to tap into the vibe of the city as they build the program. That won’t appeal to every recruit (or every recruit’s parents), but it will appeal mightily to some. Plus, by piggybacking on a brand those recruits and their parents already know, Sanchez should have an easier time making a connection. “It’s going to be Vegas,” Sanchez says of his program. “It’s going to be energy. It’s going to be exciting. It’s going to be entertaining.”

Branding in college football: Identity goes beyond just uniforms and logos
BY ANDY STAPLES

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT