ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread UNLV at Northwestern

You see quote on game story where CTS praises AR for only going over 100 yards passing in garbage time? What is he smokin?

Yeah, I like CTS for what he's done off the field for the program and want him to succeed but, if he doesn't get at least 7 Wins and goes Bowling we have to move on!

Last edited:
Ding Ding Ding! It can't get much worse than losing the way we did with A.R. the last couple of games. K.O. might have looked good against the 2nd and 3rd's in garbage time but, I say let him play until he proves otherwise. We already know what A.R. is and is not as does the team which I figure has to be asking themselves as do fans why does CTS continue to do the same thing with A.R. and expect different results !!!

Start K.O. vs Wyoming at this point you have everything to Win and the same to lose with him or A.R. !

Do it. May as well..

Oblad may even surprise some people with so little film.

Once there is a 'book' on him..He may have just as rough a time as Armani...

Yeah, I like CTS for what hes done off the field for the program and want him to succeed but, if he doesn't get at least 7 Wins and goes Bowling we have to move on!

Honest question.

How much has he really done?

If he coached at Clark or Arbor View instead of Gorman. there is no Fertitta connection. No Fertitta connection, no facility.

A lot of right place right time.

Fertitta's got ball rolling, left rest of fund raising on UNLV. When AD was moving to fire Sanchez Fertitta's stepped in and bailed out UNLV of remaining costs.

Not saying he's done nothing but his off field prowess is a little overblown in my opinion.

I'll say it again.

I went to every Spring practice but one.

The offense won't open up if he is in the game. The passing playbook opens up the run game shrinks.

Armani may not be the answer but I'm not sure Oblad is either..

Bull I think you are missing something very important here and that is that right now we have either a run with this guy or a run with that guy offense. The playbook is already shrunk as badly as it can be and as soon as a team figures that out and loads the box on us it is all over. We are completely one dimensional and teams that have played us know that from the outset. It took Northwestern 1 quarter, 3 minutes and 4 seconds to figure that out and after that we never scored again. We won't be so lucky the rest of the year. The secret is out. UNLV is 1 dimensional. UNLV can't pass, take away the run and they can't score!

Oh yeah Rogers was wonderful passing for over 100 yards (barely) but most came against their 3'rd stringers, but nothing down the field. The only way we stretch the field is sideways so no big pass plays and nothing completed down the field or up the middle to loosen things up for the running game. Easy passes for Rogers to complete to make it look like he is a decent passer but the opposition knows this. Our 2 biggest plays of the second half were defensive holding calls, yeah that's how we move it.

So we can either stick with the run with this guy or run with that guy offense or we can actually play a QB that can complete a pass down the field or over the middle which may or may not shrink or open up the playbook but it will make the other team respect our ability to do something other than run with this guy or run with that guy!

PS If the other team doesn't think our QB (Oblad) can run they won't look for him to run and so he will have opportunities where things will open up for him.

In other news Armani played so good last weekend at Northwestern that the QB competition has been called off for another year!

The reality, the team is averaging 102 yards passing a game with Rogers at quarterback.
He has completed 4/15 3rd down passes at 26.7% for 26 yard with 1 pick in three games. Unless the team shift to a full option offense, its going to be a very long year.

The good thing vs Wyoming is that their quarterback has very similar numbers to Rogers so there is a shot at winning.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Bull I think you are missing something very important here and that is that right now we have either a run with this guy or a run with that guy offense. The playbook is already shrunk as badly as it can be and as soon as a team figures that out and loads the box on us it is all over. We are completely one dimensional and teams that have played us know that from the outset. It took Northwestern 1 quarter, 3 minutes and 4 seconds to figure that out and after that we never scored again. We won't be so lucky the rest of the year. The secret is out. UNLV is 1 dimensional. UNLV can't pass, take away the run and they can't score!

Oh yeah Rogers was wonderful passing for over 100 yards (barely) but most came against their 3'rd stringers, but nothing down the field. The only way we stretch the field is sideways so no big pass plays and nothing completed down the field or up the middle to loosen things up for the running game. Easy passes for Rogers to complete to make it look like he is a decent passer but the opposition knows this. Our 2 biggest plays of the second half were defensive holding calls, yeah that's how we move it.

So we can either stick with the run with this guy or run with that guy offense or we can actually play a QB that can complete a pass down the field or over the middle which may or may not shrink or open up the playbook but it will make the other team respect our ability to do something other than run with this guy or run with that guy!

PS If the other team doesn't think our QB (Oblad) can run they won't look for him to run and so he will have opportunities where things will open up for him.

In other news Armani played so good last weekend at Northwestern that the QB competition has been called off for another year!

If Oblad starts. Teams stack the box. Challenge Oblad to beat them with his arm.

You're Tony Sanchez. You're career is at stake.

I'm not sure I go to Oblad. He never separated himself in pratice enough.

Stanton. Hell yes.

Oblad...

No..Not in my opinion.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Baby steps.... this program has been in it's infancy for 30 years, we'll get there eventually, we just need a couple more decades to get weaned from our losing ways....

NINTCHDBPICT000082335512.jpg
I got wood!

Teams are doing that to Armani right now. He is proving he can't beat them with his arm nor legs.
With the current group at receiver, I'm sure they can make plays downfield in the passing game if the balls are accurately thrown & catchable.
You would assume that a more balanced attack would be a plus for the run game rather than depending on sporadic chunk yards with Williams. He only gained 10 yards in the second half yesterday.
The top receivers have 8 rec for 109 yards & 6 rec for 93 yards. Armani has 1 touchdown pass in 3 games so far.

If Oblad starts. Teams stack the box. Challenge Oblad to beat them with his arm.

Stanton. Hell yes.

Oblad...

No..Not in my opinion.

Last edited:

Stanton. Hell yes.

Oblad...

No..Not in my opinion.
I gotta give somebody a couple series of downs. Can’t go down without having tried something. Even if it’s wrong it’s not like it’s gonna cost us a W.

Teams are doing that to Armani right now. He is proving he can't beat them with his arm nor legs.
With the current group at receiver, I'm sure they can make plays downfield in the passing game if the balls are accurately thrown & catchable.
You would assume that a more balanced attack would be a plus for the run game rather than depending on sporadic chuck yards with Williams only gain 10 yards in the second half yesterday.
The top receivers have 8 rec for 109 yards & 6 rec for 93 yards. Armani has 1 touchdown pass in 3 games so far.
Come to think of it they are and he can’t handle the pressure. You are absolutely correct sir!

We are 248’th in passing yards per game. I am not sure how many teams there are but there can’t be too many more than 248. Maybe Army and a couple others. Even Air Force may be out passing us.

We are 248’th in passing yards per game. I am not sure how many teams there are but there can’t be too many more than 248. Maybe Army and a couple others. Even Air Force may be out passing us.

Army almost beat Michigan. They rarely throw the ball.

Running/passing percentages mean nothing.

Create an identity.

The biggest problem is the dude stalking the sidelines with the headset.

We are year 5.

What is our identity. What are we building the program around?

Its year 5 and I have no idea.

Armani has his issues...

No doubt.

But dude with the headphones has had 5 years to figure it out.

He hasn't.

Like I said, I'm all in, start Oblad. Do it. Armani ain't cutting it.

But he aint the answer.

If he was, dude who's job/career is on the line probably would have made the switch already promises or not.

Everybody always loves the backup Qb..Until he starts..

Create an identity.

We are year 5.

Armani has his issues...

No doubt.

He hasn't.

But he aint the answer.

If he was, dude who's job/career is on the line probably would have made the switch already promises or not.

You are absolutely correct. It is the dude with the headset. If Armani is the best shot he’s got it’s on him for not recruiting better players for his system or for not designing a better system for the players he has.

Create an identity.

We are year 5.

Armani has his issues...

No doubt.

He hasn't.

But he aint the answer.

Sounds like you’re chalking up a loss no matter who starts.

For my own entertainment, I want KO to start against WYO.

There have been plenty of football & basketball coaches that have staked careers on players as well as (buddy) coordinators.
The one thing that is obvious is the CTS has a quarterback that can't distribute the football and the game plan doesn't appear to account for the deficiency.
UNLV also has three former quarterbacks that are current stars at the FCS level that are among top performers in the FCS.
UNLV has Oblad & Gilliam among guys waiting in the wings that appear to have much better skills as a passer than the guy that is the current starter. If they are worse passers than the current starter, you have to question how poorly the program has recruited the last 5 years.

Create an identity.

We are year 5.

Armani has his issues...

No doubt.

He hasn't.

But he aint the answer.

You are absolutely correct. It is the dude with the headset. If Armani is the best shot he’s got it’s on him for not recruiting better players for his system or for not designing a better system for the players he has.

Yep.

Not you..

But a lot of people saying Sanchez deserved this year sighted Armani being hurt as to why UNLV missed a bowl game last year.

Now...

Same folks are calling for Armani's head.

Yep.

Not you..

But a lot of people saying Sanchez deserved this year sighted Armani being hurt as to why UNLV missed a bowl game last year.

Now...

Same folks are calling for Armani's head.
Not recognizing his issues long before his injury and realizing the possibility or even probability that it wouldn’t improve much, if any, is just putting your head in the sand. It’s not even a coin toss as to whether he will have a good game or not. It’s almost a roll of the dice.

Cool..

I'm all for it.

I don't think it matters.

They beat Wyoming. Maybe they got something.

They lose with Oblad starting...Then what? Back to Armani?

Its not a place I want to be with job on the line.

There have been plenty of football & basketball coaches that have staked careers on players as well as (buddy) coordinators.
The one thing that is obvious is the CTS has a quarterback that can't distribute the football and the game plan doesn't appear to account for the deficiency.
UNLV also has three former quarterbacks that are current stars at the FCS level that are among top performers in the FCS.
UNLV has Oblad & Gilliam among guys waiting in the wings that appear to have much better skills as a passer than the guy that is the current starter. If they are worse passers than the current starter, you have to question how poorly the program has recruited the last 5 years.

Will I've said I'm all for starting Oblad.

But I'm telling you based on Spring the results won't be any better.

He had some nice moments. He also had a fair share of struggles vs 2nd/3rd team defenses.

If folks want to hear comfortable lies look elsewhere. I'm not going to tell people a guy is the savior or even a better option when I don't truly believe that.

I don't think it matters who starts. They both have limitations.

I hope Oblad proves me wrong. I want to be wrong. I'm sick of the losing..

I saw nothing in Spring that says he's the guy. Sneed was more consistent.

Reactions: willlevi
Cool..

I'm all for it.

I don't think it matters.

They beat Wyoming. Maybe they got something.

They lose with Oblad starting...Then what? Back to Armani?

Its not a place I want to be with job on the line.
Does it matter where Sanchez wants to be with his job on the line? Reality is this is where we are at.

Regarding outcome in 2 weeks with KO starting it depends how we lose. If the offense is competent with KO, and the defense lays an egg, then of course roll with KO moving forward.

You can also sub KO with Max if you want. Anybody with a decent arm to keep the defense honest.

Not recognizing his issues long before his injury and realizing the possibility or even probability that it wouldn’t improve much, if any, is just putting your head in the sand. It’s not even a coin toss as to whether he will have a good game or not. It’s almost a roll of the dice.

Pretty much.

Reno version of Armani..

We don't have another QB on the roster that can do that.

Northwestern Armani. They can all do that..

248? I thought there were only 125 or so D1. We dipping down to pop warner territory?
Not sure where Rivals came up with that number but it is on the web site where football statistics are listed. It must include all colleges plus a couple pop warners.

I just don't trust any of them.

I think the Rebs will lose.

I have zero faith in Sanchez.

Look in the other thread about coaches he's faced a 2nd time.

Its depressing.

At worst starting Oblad keeps the fans interested just a little more than if we see Armani run out with the first team O. With Armani we hope for good Armani but we know that bad Armani is way more likely.

With KO there’s hope. Potential. Excitement. Plus, he’s home grown. His momma will be in the stands and will beat up any defensive player that tackles her son too hard. (I don’t know the family and am making a joke.. I think)

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
At worst starting Oblad keeps the fans interested just a little more than if we see Armani run out with the first team O. With Armani we hope for good Armani but we know that bad Armani is way more likely.

With KO there’s hope. Potential. Excitement. Plus, he’s home grown. His momma will be in the stands and will beat up any defensive player that tackles her son too hard. (I don’t know the family and am making a joke.. I think)

Lets do it.

I just don't trust any of them.

I think the Rebs will lose.

I have zero faith in Sanchez.

Look in the other thread about coaches he's faced a 2nd time.

Its depressing.
You’re right about it being depressing that we have little hope for a good season. I was feeling that way before the first game even kicked off because if Armani is our best choice then we are screwed.

Will I've said I'm all for starting Oblad.

But I'm telling you based on Spring the results won't be any better.

He had some nice moments. He also had a fair share of struggles vs 2nd/3rd team defenses.

If folks want to hear comfortable lies look elsewhere. I'm not going to tell people a guy is the savior or even a better option when I don't truly believe that.

I don't think it matters who starts. They both have limitations.

I hope Oblad proves me wrong. I want to be wrong. I'm sick of the losing..

I saw nothing in Spring that says he's the guy. Sneed was more consistent.

I think the key issue is that Oblad might be better than Max. At least he would be pretty comparable.

Is it set in stone that Oblad would even be #2 if Max was healthy?

So expecting the same sort of product that we did last year once Armani went down makes sense to me.

The only thing that would change things for me if they drastically change their offense approach. Which is more possible now that Cotton is gone. I think he wants to play one way, Garrison may not have that view.

But changing now brings up another set of problems. But hey, you have at least try something that can work for 4 quarters.

I think the key issue is that Oblad might be better than Max. At least he would be pretty comparable.

Is it set in stone that Oblad would even be #2 if Max was healthy?

So expecting the same sort of product that we did last year once Armani went down makes sense to me.

The only thing that would change things for me if they drastically change their offense approach. Which is more possible now that Cotton is gone. I think he wants to play one way, Garrison may not have that view.

But changing now brings up another set of problems. But hey, you have at least try something that can work for 4 quarters.

I think your options are..

Become even more run heavy with Armani. Attempt to control clock and play field position...

Or

Go to Oblad...

I think your options are..

Become even more run heavy with Armani. Attempt to control clock and play field position...

Or

Go to Oblad...

Either way I think you have though change how we play.

Now I couldn't see Saturday's game. I have one BTN channel and it had another game. It didn't even replay it in the middle of the night. So I don't know how things looked different, if at all. I saw that Armani had a good % for him, but also turnovers.

If they stick with Armani, I think we need to run more read option, more jet sweep action. I wouldn't mind a style of Offense that Cam Newton played at Auburn. It didn't require a lot of reads for Cam, was very run heavy and a jet sweep (at least the motion of it) was almost every play.

Either way I think you have though change how we play.

Now I couldn't see Saturday's game. I have one BTN channel and it had another game. It didn't even replay it in the middle of the night. So I don't know how things looked different, if at all. I saw that Armani had a good % for him, but also turnovers.

If they stick with Armani, I think we need to run more read option, more jet sweep action. I wouldn't mind a style of Offense that Cam Newton played at Auburn. It didn't require a lot of reads for Cam, was very run heavy and a jet sweep (at least the motion of it) was almost every play.

Ding ding ding....

Not sure where Rivals came up with that number but it is on the web site where football statistics are listed. It must include all colleges plus a couple pop warners.
Here's the actual ranking of our passing offense... it's 121st out of 130 FBS teams.... very pathetic... the sad part of it, there's actually been quite a few dropped passes too. Armani hasn't been mediocre with his passing, but even when he is, stuffs getting dropped too... maybe the receivers are shocked when the pass hits their hand and just aren't ready?
cc401cf922472b3eccf88e02555c3d45-full.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT