ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread UNLV at Houston

Pre-game chat and info, in game discussion.

Add as you please.

So pumped. Haven’t stopped thinking about it all week.

Big game for us. I took my blood pressure meds. The wife said to double it. Go Rebels!!!!
Agreed. Can't wait! History of unlv football tells me not to get my hopes up, but I can't help it. This is a huge year for the program and we have a solid team. Really hoping the QB play is strong

Agreed. Can't wait! History of unlv football tells me not to get my hopes up, but I can't help it. This is a huge year for the program and we have a solid team. Really hoping the QB play is strong
This does feel very similar to 2001 to me. I recall UNLV won something like the last 4 games of the season and became bowl eligible in 2000. And we thrashed Arkansas in the LV bowl. Alot of returners coming back, most notably Jason Thomas and his silly Heisman talk followed. But fans were into it, the 2001 opener was at Arkansas. Oh, it was going to be a tough game for sure. I think UNLV was outside the top 25, getting some votes, but a small dog at Arkansas. UNLV was in the drivers seat until McDonald dropped the punt late in the 4th. And the season unravelled from there. I set up a get together at a PTs near my old home - 10 dollar buy in got you two drinks, specials on Rebel specific drinks, and a buffet type of set up for everyone with the 10 dollar wrist band. Finger food type of stuff. They cordoned off the section with the couches and biggest screen for Rebel fans. I guaranteed the manager 100 fans for that price and we got a little bit over that. It was a good deal and we had a lot of fun, until the end.

But that season unraveled because JTs shoulder was shot and he was pretty rough all season long. It wasn't like the first game of the season caused a season long failure ... so while this game is huge and feels the same, I think this team has more going for it, win or lose, but I sure as hell would love a win.

I’ve never been to Houston for more than a half day when it didn’t rain. I’m pretty sure every day it’s 250 degrees and 300% humidity. Makes a summer day in Las Vegas feel like San Diego.
Houston has more annual rainfall than Seattle.
Sure Seattle had more rainy days, but it rains much more aggressively down here

This does feel very similar to 2001 to me. I recall UNLV won something like the last 4 games of the season and became bowl eligible in 2000. And we thrashed Arkansas in the LV bowl. Alot of returners coming back, most notably Jason Thomas and his silly Heisman talk followed. But fans were into it, the 2001 opener was at Arkansas. Oh, it was going to be a tough game for sure. I think UNLV was outside the top 25, getting some votes, but a small dog at Arkansas. UNLV was in the drivers seat until McDonald dropped the punt late in the 4th. And the season unravelled from there. I set up a get together at a PTs near my old home - 10 dollar buy in got you two drinks, specials on Rebel specific drinks, and a buffet type of set up for everyone with the 10 dollar wrist band. Finger food type of stuff. They cordoned off the section with the couches and biggest screen for Rebel fans. I guaranteed the manager 100 fans for that price and we got a little bit over that. It was a good deal and we had a lot of fun, until the end.

But that season unraveled because JTs shoulder was shot and he was pretty rough all season long. It wasn't like the first game of the season caused a season long failure ... so while this game is huge and feels the same, I think this team has more going for it, win or lose, but I sure as hell would love a win.
This a big game due to our front loaded schedule. Need to win today badly in order to get some momentum going into tough stretch that will be games 3 through 8. This game will set the tone for the year.

My weather app said upper 20's to 40's in terms of rain chance this AM, now it is down to 14%. The rain has been on and off all morning

Houston has more annual rainfall than Seattle.
Sure Seattle had more rainy days, but it rains much more aggressively down here
Yep, there are a lot of cities with more annual rainfall, basically all of the south, northeast and Midwest gets more to your point just over fewer days.

We still get plenty of rain... if it only came over a few days, everyone would want to live here...

Pavia looking pretty good 1st half vs. VTech. Could've had him
Well Vandy is called the Harvard of the South and some have called UNLV the Harvard of the West so academically it must have been a tough choice. Probably just came down to playing in a league that is marginally better than the MWC😎

I think it had a lot more to do with the personal problems of Coach Robinson. His wife ended up with a cancer diagnosis going into the 2001 season, and it became very obvious his heart wasn't into coaching anymore. UNLV also made him the AD in 2001 prior to the start of the season which combined with coaching and his wife's cancer issues just overwhelmed him, and we never did see him get back to the 2000 peak of his coaching at UNLV.

I think it had a lot more to do with the personal problems of Coach Robinson. His wife ended up with a cancer diagnosis going into the 2001 season, and it became very obvious his heart wasn't into coaching anymore. UNLV also made him the AD in 2001 prior to the start of the season which combined with coaching and his wife's cancer issues just overwhelmed him, and we never did see him get back to the 2000 peak of his coaching at UNLV.
The schedule was stacked that year after the heartbreak in Little Rock they lost at home to ranked Northwestern, on the road to UofA and at home to ranked byu by 4. The wheels just kind of fell off after an 0-4 start against good teams

This game is a pick-em. UNLV offence is going to roll. Watch for Casey Cain and J Catalon to rocks out tonight.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
In terms of site traffic, definitely 2001. Arkansas has a huge fan base and they took the L in 2000, so it was 9 months of smack.
This is the fan base that try to steal DJ Thomas from us in basketball. They try to steal football players too. I cannot remember them right now to be honest...and I guess they are not woke. Are they more intellectually more superior to us?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT