ADVERTISEMENT

**UNLV(7-1) @ Texas Tech(7-1) Series Thread - UNLV Splits Series 1-1**

ScoresMan

National Player of the Year
Aug 31, 2008
UNLV heads into it's first road series against Texas Tech who has played all their games at home so far this season. Texas Tech is also coming into this 2 games series with a record of 7-1 with defeats of Northwestern, Western Michigan, BYU and Northern Illinois.

Texas Tech is lead offensively by Shortstop Kelby Tomlinson who's batting .433 13 hits in 30AB's with 10RBI's, scoring 10 Runs, yet only 1HR.

As for the pitching staff the Red Raiders are lead by Daniel Coulombe who in 2 appearances has totaled 9 innings of work giving up 3 runs on 6 hits with 14K's.

Game #1 Tuesday @ 3pm PST
Game #2 Wednesday @ 11am PST
This post was edited on 3/1 7:08 PM by ScoresMan
This post was edited on 3/2 2:32 PM by ScoresMan

Re: **UNLV(7-1) @ Texas Tech(7-1) Series Thread**

Keep up this posts.

No problem, just as another note Texas Tech had 6 guys drafted last season.

Kelby Tomlinson is projected to go in rounds 4-10 which I believe is overslot territory.
This post was edited on 2/28 10:30 PM by ScoresMan

ALSO additional note, as I alluded to in the season thread Texas Tech is getting 31 votes (Ranked #32 overall). This would be big if we can take a game from them or sweep would be HUGE.

My analysis is that I don't really expect much though out of this series. Every series we go into the season it seems like a bigger test and a better gauge to what this teams talent level is. We know we have some good players and leadership that came over from CSN with Chambers.

This next week will be telling for the Rebels with Texas Tech then facing Reno followed by #19 Arizona coming to town.
This post was edited on 2/28 10:22 PM by ScoresMan

Freshman Brandon Rainford takes the mound tomorrow for the Rebels.

1.2IP 3H 2ER 3BB's 1K this year.

hopefully he does better as a starter.

7-3 TT bottom of the sixth

I totally forgot today was Tuesday! wow. sorry guys.

8-4 Texas Tech bottom 8th.

This post was edited on 3/1 6:46 PM by ScoresMan

1.1IP 4H 3ER 4BB's for Rainford.

This post was edited on 3/1 9:36 PM by ScoresMan

UNLV falls 9-4 to Texas Tech in Game #1 of the Series.

Brandon Rainford went 1.1IP 4H 3ER 4BB's 1K and Max Javante goes 3IP 3H 4ER 1BB 1K.

They both combined to give up 7 of the 9 Texas Tech runs. You can't win games playing catch up after your pitchers dig deep holes early.

Offensively for the Rebels Ryan Scott goes 2 for 3 continuing his hot streak lately. Brandon Bayardi went 1 for 4 with his only hit being a HR gathering 2 RBI's.

Game #2 is at 11am PST tomorrow. (I won't forget).

4 bb's is a problem But he's a freshman...tough going from high school to college..it's tough on the road too...

Don't know why Chambers chose him though, with all that going against him. Just weird to me but that's why he's the coach and i'm sitting here writing about it.

His season totals are cringe worthy.

3IP 7H 5ER 7BB's
This post was edited on 3/1 7:15 PM by ScoresMan

Scores you rep this board on baseball....I really like what you're doing but I don't think it's a good idea to call out a freshman like that this early in his career...Coach yes freshman no...confidence is the key in baseball as most sports..
UNLV Baseball is not where they want to be at most postions as far as skill level...It's going to take some time...It's going to happen....I had a great talk with Manny Guerra today and he knows baseball as well as anybody on this level..The future is very bright!
Keep up the great work Scores and we all apreciate you and what you do for the board....THANKS !!!!

Wasn't "calling" him out. Stats don't lie and they aren't good. He's a freshman sure but he didn't do all that great and i'm questioning the coach on putting him out there at this point as a freshman in the first road game of the season. That's like handing over the keys to a AAA call up at Yankee stadium(totally higher situation but you get the point). I'm sure he'll be a great player in due time. That's all. Hope that clears up what I meant, and what was perceived.

Not everyone can be the Phillies
3dgrin.gif

Thanks for the kind words, really appreciate it from everyone so far.
This post was edited on 3/1 9:34 PM by ScoresMan
This post was edited on 3/1 9:35 PM by ScoresMan

Re: **UNLV(7-1) @ Texas Tech(7-1) Series Thread - UNLV Loses Game #1 9-4**

I won't be able to give updates for awhile today. Just check out the link in the first post of the Season thread to catch the action.

4-0 UNLV bottom 4th.

Brandon Bayardi 1-2 2RBI's

4-0 UNLV going to the 5th.

Scott Dysinger is dealing.....

4IP 0H 0ER 2BB 4K's

4-0 UNLV headed to the bottom of the 5th.

4-0 UNLV going into Top 6th

Dysinger clear through 5.

5IP 0H 0ER 3BB 4K's

4-0 UNLV Bottom 6

leadoff double for TT ends the no no.

the lead runner scores on a 2 out single.

4-1 UNLV 2 outs Bottom 6

Zuniga coming in to take over for Dysinger.

Dysinger finishes the day 5.2IP 2H 2ER 3BB 4K's
This post was edited on 3/2 1:55 PM by ScoresMan

Zuniga comes in and gives up a 2 run HR

4-3 UNLV.....

UNLV gets out of the inning without giving up a tying run thankfully.

4-3 UNLV Top 7th.

Feiner leads off the 7th with a leadoff single, followed by a sac bunt puts Feiner in scoring position.

UNLV strands two in the inning including the leadoff hitter.

4-3 Bottom 7th.

Zuniga still in.

4-3 UNLV going to the Top of the 8th.

UNLV 4-3 headed to the bottom of the 8th.

UNLV were k'd in order in the top of the 8th.

Zack Hartman coming in for Zuniga.

Hartman is a freshman local product from Arbor View.

UNLV leads 4-3 going into the top half of the 9th. Trying to tack on some insurance runs.

4-3 UNLV bottom 9th.

Hartman back in to try and close this one out.

Hartman K's the leadoff guy, and gets the next guy to fly out to left.

2 out.

with 2 strikes, Hartman hits the batter putting the tying run on first.

UNLV WINS 4-3!!

Split the 2 game series.

Players Of The Game:

Pitching: Zack Hartman 2IP 1H 0ER 0BB 1K - Save

Offensive: Trevor Kirk 1 for 3 with 1 RBI 1Run 1BB

That was a big win on the road. Unlike the past years, it came down to the close out pitching to secure the win.

Good job.

Originally posted by Rebel1986:
That was a big win on the road. Unlike the past years, it came down to the close out pitching to secure the win.

Good job.

Really huge, and unexpected. From a freshman no less! (See not hatin OSR!!!!)

Scores you're funny...don't make me go Kruger...LOL... Here's a nice piece on Dysinger...Great kid and love the fact that we are using him...kid is a winner....

Dys Rolls Solid Numbers in Pitching Debut

Scott Dysinger is one of the nicest kids you'd ever want to meet.

He's not a big kid, probably around 160 pounds, if that.

But he's a scrapper, always has been.

So, when he was given the assignment of starting a D-I baseball game -- on the mound -- you kinda feared for him, but still wished him the best.

As usual, Scott came through. He always comes through.

Wednesday in Lubbock, TX, Dys was given the ball and told to go pitch. And pitch he did.

The former Bishop Gorman HS standout threw five innings of no-hit baseball against Texas Tech, before running out of gas in the sixth when he gave up three runs (two earned) on a couple of hits. UNLV won the game, 4-3 and Dysinger got the win.

He's been a winner since his high school coach, Chris Sheff, spotted him playing JV ball as a freshman. "I love that kid," said Sheff at the time. "He has great instincts for being so young."

Midway through that 2004 season Sheff brought Dysinger up to the varsity. Dys didn't disappoint. In 14 games he batted .353, playing mostly at second base.

And for the next three years he was a standout, helping to lead the Gaels to their first two state championships in a streak that now totals five.

His signature game as a high school player, in my opinion, came in the state championship against Silverado in 2006. Silverado was loaded that season and was ranked in the top 20 in the nation. Gorman wasn't expected to win. But after knocking off Galena (5-3) and Silverado (9-8), the Gaels played Silverado again for the title.

Dysinger, who had thrown just 33.1 innings that season, was given the nod as the starter. He came through big time, shutting out Silverado for six innings. With Gorman holding a 1-0 lead, Sheff went with his ace, Donny Roach, to close out the game. Silverado scored to tie it, but freshman Joey Rickard came off the bench to get a game-winning hit and Gorman had won its first state title ever.

The following season, Dys didn't pitch as much (the Gaels were loaded on the mound), but still was a huge contributor, batting .425 and helping to guide Gorman to another state title.

After graduation, Scott matriculated to Saddleback College in the OC, but sat out the season with an injury. He then returned to Las Vegas, having two very good years at CSN.

Now at UNLV, Dysinger has been in and out of the lineup (mostly out) and has been told that he will probably pitch more than he will play at second base. I'm sure Dys would rather be in the lineup every game, but he's the type of player that will do anything for his team.

Wednesday he did.

"It didn't surprise me," said Sheff of Dysinger's performance. "He's a very smart kid. He knows how to play the game."

DYS VS. ARIZONA? -- Since Dysinger figures now as a mid-week pitcher, it probably means he will throw against Arizona next Tuesday or Wednesday when the Wildcats invade UNLV. Of course, that means pitching against former teammates Joey Rickard and Johnny Field. Another ex-Gorman pitcher Stephen Manthei has yet to pitch for Arizona, but has shown that he can get D-I hitters out. A Dysinger vs. Manthei matchup? Wouldn't that be sweet, but don't look for it to happen.

2008 CHAMPS -- Dysinger was a key member of the Gorman summer team of 2008 that won the American Legion World Series in North Carolina. Others included Rickard, Manthei, Field, Jeff Malm (now with the Tampa Bay Rays), Paul Sewald (USD), Neil Lawhorn (now at Western Nevada JC), Matt Hall (Cochise JC) and Erik Van Meetren, a senior at Gorman who has committed to UNLV.

Dys batted .524 in the Arizona regional that summer (11-for-21) and was named the outstanding player. He also was selected to the World Series all-tourney team.

TAYLOR-MADE -- Dysinger and shortstop Taylor Cole made a great double play combination through their graduation year of 2007, although there were many times during that senior season that the lineup changed a lot when Cole or Dys went to the mound, opening up second base for the freshman Field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT