ADVERTISEMENT

TV viewership

Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
I keep seeing post where UNLV plays on a minor network and everyone points out how nobody watches them on TV, but when they get onto a major network, it doesn't appear that they do all that bad:

UNLV is currently in a similar position as BSU in the past, as being the underdog, which I think will help in the short run while building a better following. UNLV v Kansas has 1.32 million viewers on ESPN. The highest rated game had 6.6 million viewers (Georgia v Kentucky) while by the time you get to the eighth rated game, which was Notre Dame v Purdue, they had an audience of 2.28 million. Memphis v Florida State University, which was also on ESPN, has a viewership of 1.59 million. Oklahoma v Tulane had 1.39 million viewers on ESPN. Indiana v UCLA had 1.29 million viewers on NBC. UCF v TCU had 1.03 million viewers on FOX. It is nice to see that SDSU v California only had 0.938 million viewers on ESPN. New Mexico St. v Fresno State only had 64K viewership on truTV.

Oregon v Oregon State had 2.82 million viewers on FOX, but we all know that Oregon would have carried most of the weight in regards to viewership.

In past weeks:
Texas Tech played Washington State on FOX had 1.16 million viewers
Fresno State v Michigan on NBC had 2.56 million viewers
Colorado State v Texas on ESPN had 1.84 million viewers (I would be curious to see how UNLV would do in viewership verse a top 5 team?) - of course UNLV had 2.97 million verse Michigan last season.
Oregon State v Idaho State had 382K viewers on the CW
Texas A&M-CC v SDSU had 66K viewers on TruTV

In interesting comparison is when UNLV played Michigan before Michigan moved to the top of the polls:
Fresno State v Michigan on NBC had 2.56 million viewers this season
UNLV v Michigan on NBC had 2.97million viewers last season before UNLV was a top 25 team as they are currently.

I am saying that the network you play on has a lot to do with the ratings which is why in the past the viewership was so low for UNLV when they played most of their games on FS1, ESPNU, etc. I believe UNLV can easily go head to head with any of the other teams that are currently leaving the MWC as well as the two teams in the PAC. A lot of casual fans have an interest in seeing the GO GO offense and watching the new kid on the block!

I think UNLV brings more to the table then sdsu, csu and Frenso. Just cause they have a 10 million market don't mean that 10m TVs will be on. Sdsu football brings nothing.

I think UNLV brings more to the table then sdsu, csu and Frenso. Just cause they have a 10 million market don't mean that 10m TVs will be on. Sdsu football brings nothing.
I also noticed that Boise State has not been ranked in the top 25 since the end of the 2019 season. That is a long time for a small market team to unranked while still relevant on a national level. UNLV can boost their position by continuing to win and getting ranked in the AP so that a number shows up next to their name!

I lived in San Diego for a couple years. SDSU football was not in the dumps (like it is right now) back then and I still NEVER heard a peep about it. At that time there was more news about Jim Harbaugh's success at lowly USD.

Maybe with the Chargers departure there is more talk, but I doubt it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT