ADVERTISEMENT

TV viewership

Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
I keep seeing post where UNLV plays on a minor network and everyone points out how nobody watches them on TV, but when they get onto a major network, it doesn't appear that they do all that bad:

UNLV is currently in a similar position as BSU in the past, as being the underdog, which I think will help in the short run while building a better following. UNLV v Kansas has 1.32 million viewers on ESPN. The highest rated game had 6.6 million viewers (Georgia v Kentucky) while by the time you get to the eighth rated game, which was Notre Dame v Purdue, they had an audience of 2.28 million. Memphis v Florida State University, which was also on ESPN, has a viewership of 1.59 million. Oklahoma v Tulane had 1.39 million viewers on ESPN. Indiana v UCLA had 1.29 million viewers on NBC. UCF v TCU had 1.03 million viewers on FOX. It is nice to see that SDSU v California only had 0.938 million viewers on ESPN. New Mexico St. v Fresno State only had 64K viewership on truTV.

Oregon v Oregon State had 2.82 million viewers on FOX, but we all know that Oregon would have carried most of the weight in regards to viewership.

In past weeks:
Texas Tech played Washington State on FOX had 1.16 million viewers
Fresno State v Michigan on NBC had 2.56 million viewers
Colorado State v Texas on ESPN had 1.84 million viewers (I would be curious to see how UNLV would do in viewership verse a top 5 team?) - of course UNLV had 2.97 million verse Michigan last season.
Oregon State v Idaho State had 382K viewers on the CW
Texas A&M-CC v SDSU had 66K viewers on TruTV

In interesting comparison is when UNLV played Michigan before Michigan moved to the top of the polls:
Fresno State v Michigan on NBC had 2.56 million viewers this season
UNLV v Michigan on NBC had 2.97million viewers last season before UNLV was a top 25 team as they are currently.

I am saying that the network you play on has a lot to do with the ratings which is why in the past the viewership was so low for UNLV when they played most of their games on FS1, ESPNU, etc. I believe UNLV can easily go head to head with any of the other teams that are currently leaving the MWC as well as the two teams in the PAC. A lot of casual fans have an interest in seeing the GO GO offense and watching the new kid on the block!

I think UNLV brings more to the table then sdsu, csu and Frenso. Just cause they have a 10 million market don't mean that 10m TVs will be on. Sdsu football brings nothing.

I think UNLV brings more to the table then sdsu, csu and Frenso. Just cause they have a 10 million market don't mean that 10m TVs will be on. Sdsu football brings nothing.
I also noticed that Boise State has not been ranked in the top 25 since the end of the 2019 season. That is a long time for a small market team to unranked while still relevant on a national level. UNLV can boost their position by continuing to win and getting ranked in the AP so that a number shows up next to their name!

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Rebel702
I lived in San Diego for a couple years. SDSU football was not in the dumps (like it is right now) back then and I still NEVER heard a peep about it. At that time there was more news about Jim Harbaugh's success at lowly USD.

Maybe with the Chargers departure there is more talk, but I doubt it.

I lived in San Diego for a couple years. SDSU football was not in the dumps (like it is right now) back then and I still NEVER heard a peep about it. At that time there was more news about Jim Harbaugh's success at lowly USD.

Maybe with the Chargers departure there is more talk, but I doubt it.
Listening to Jason Kelly's Let's Run podcast with a BSU fan media guy, Bronco Bleymeier. BB had a take that irked me immensely, effectively saying UNLV was embarrassing for only getting 25k into their stadium off their best year in history. Then praising CSU for getting "67% of capacity over the last several years" ... well... 67% of 37k is about 25k.

Also point was made about UNLV being irrelevant in it's market (which to some expect is absolutely fact and no amount of 8-5 will change it entirely). But he praised SDSU for being a great market and passionate fanbase.

I was stunned. Their basketball tradition for 20 years is phenomenal obviously.

It was like he Failed to acknowledge SDSU.

25k home game vs Oregon State. Slightly less than the exact number foe their fcs opener with a brand new coach in a new stadium. 2022 turnstile average under 22k. 2023 turnstile average barely over 17k. The year they played in Carson, they got under 12k per game and only broke 12k once - the MWC title game vs USU (13k). Admittedly. This is obviously abnormal because it was after the covid season. But UNLV got 16k for their game vs SDSU that same year.

Sorry for the unexpected rant...

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Listening to Jason Kelly's Let's Run podcast with a BSU fan media guy, Bronco Bleymeier. BB had a take that irked me immensely, effectively saying UNLV was embarrassing for only getting 25k into their stadium off their best year in history. Then praising CSU for getting "67% of capacity over the last several years" ... well... 67% of 37k is about 25k.

Also point was made about UNLV being irrelevant in it's market (which to some expect is absolutely fact and no amount of 8-5 will change it entirely). But he praised SDSU for being a great market and passionate fanbase.

25k home game vs Oregon State. Slightly less than the exact number foe their fcs opener with a brand new coach in a new stadium. 2022 turnstile average under 22k. 2023 turnstile average barely over 17k. The year they played in Carson, they got under 12k per game and only broke 12k once - the MWC title game vs USU (13k). Admittedly. This is obviously abnormal because it was after the covid season. But UNLV got 16k for their game vs SDSU that same year.

My opinion:

They know UNLV has ALWAYS been a sleeping giant and they don't want to acknowledge that their current takes about UNLV and its fans were based in facts in the past. However, things are finally changing. They are going to hold onto their takes for the unforeseeable future. Nothing is going to change their opinions. They are happy to get rid of UNLV because of what UNLV could be, and what we're finally starting to build.

I hate Boise State so much. It's going to be tough, but I'd love to send them out of Vegas with an L.

BSU doesn't like the fact that they are becoming irrelevant as the media darling. BSU has not been in the top 25 since the end of the 2019 season, and if you look at the national media you will easily find dozens if not hundreds of stories about UNLV, but the only ones you will find about BSU are in regards to their Heisman candidate running back. UNLV is 25th ranked and moving forward, and that really pisses off those that have been comfortable with UNLV at the bottom of the conference for decades.

Time to take care of SDSU, BSU and Fresno State so the only thing the PAC will be able to think about is the fact that UNLV is better than anything they can put on the field!

BSU doesn't like the fact that they are becoming irrelevant as the media darling. BSU has not been in the top 25 since the end of the 2019 season, and if you look at the national media you will easily find dozens if not hundreds of stories about UNLV, but the only ones you will find about BSU are in regards to their Heisman candidate running back. UNLV is 25th ranked and moving forward, and that really pisses off those that have been comfortable with UNLV at the bottom of the conference for decades.

Time to take care of SDSU, BSU and Fresno State so the only thing the PAC will be able to think about is the fact that UNLV is better than anything they can put on the field!
you guys see that this post got screenshotted and put up by one of the big Boise accounts. They go through our chat boards. By the way, Im jason and Im on here hahaha.

If anyone ever wants to come on the pod, reach out to me

• Haha
Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT