ADVERTISEMENT

TOP 25?

Our coach sucks. It took “Slow Growth” Odom a whopping 17 games to bring us from one of the historically worst programs and a perennial bottom 10 program to the top 25.

It should have taken 9 or 10 games if he was a real coach.

If you make the right hire for a program, more times than not you get the feeling right away, not a few years later. If you ain’t feeling it within the first couple of seasons - meaning ACTUAL growth, not “well, the losses were closer” or “we hit free throws better” - it ain’t going to happen.

Just get the job done, take full responsibility of the program, don’t blame facilities or the fans or a lack of time … excuses, excuses, excuses … slow growth is a loser mindset.

Aiming high and falling short usually yields better results than aiming low and hitting the target.
And to think it only took us 4 decades and how many coaches later to finally catch lighting in a bottle. I hope they take advantage of it and get us into a conference like Utah did when they got their needle in a haystack of a coach.

I was looking at the Massy combined ratings, and the anti-UNLV bias from some of the ratings is laughable. I have always known that Moore and Desimone have a long history of being anti-UNLV, but it wasn't as noticeable until UNLV is up near the top and then you can compare the ratings. Desimone currently has UNLV at #120 way behind Houston at #77, Liberty at #24, Florida State #37 and even Air Force at #51. Moore has UNLV at #70 while he has Kansas at #24, Florida State at #22 and Houston only 3 spots behind UNLV. I have watched the combined ratings for a long time, and these two always skew the ratings for UNLV based on a noticeable bias, thankfully the AP and coaches poll are only controlled by positive ratings and can't be skewed in the same way.

I think we all agree that either Kruger gets to the NCAA this year or he needs to be gone. Considering how quickly the AD removed Arroyo for a 5-7 record, I expect that with the conference situation, Kruger has a very short leash.
Maybe we are lucky we lost tight ones to SDSU and a couple of other teams in Arroyos last year. Had we got a bowl bid at 6-6? No firing, no Odom … when losing is a good thing.

Good hires matter.

Bad hires slow kill.

Successive bad hires disappear you.
I think we all agree that either Kruger gets to the NCAA this year or he needs to be gone. Considering how quickly the AD removed Arroyo for a 5-7 record, I expect that with the conference situation, Kruger has a very short leash.
Maybe we are lucky we lost tight ones to SDSU and a couple of other teams in Arroyos last year. Had we got a bowl bid at 6-6? No firing, no Odom … when losing is a good thing.
The difference between the good coaches and the rest are they good ones find a way to win the games that teams normally lose. No doubt that Vanderbilt, CSU, Air Force and the Kansas game are all games that UNLV would have lost under any of the past UNLV coaches.

The difference between the good coaches and the rest are they good ones find a way to win the games that teams normally lose. No doubt that Vanderbilt, CSU, Air Force and the Kansas game are all games that UNLV would have lost under any of the past UNLV coaches.
I agree. I’m just saying, one lucky UNLV “break” during that 5 game skid, we don’t have Odom.

I agree. I’m just saying, one lucky UNLV “break” during that 5 game skid, we don’t have Odom.
You mean the first time in football we have been lucky in decades? Now the luck seems to be snowballing for UNLV football! Doesn't hurt to have the MWC defensive player of the week, special team player of the week, and freshman of the week. Now they need to work on adding offensive player of the week so they get all four in the same week!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
You mean the first time in football we have been lucky in decades? Now the luck seems to be snowballing for UNLV football! Doesn't hurt to have the MWC defensive player of the week, special team player of the week, and freshman of the week. Now they need to work on adding offensive player of the week so they get all four in the same week!
Yeah, we gotta work on the passing game just a little bit.

If the money situation was better I think they would.

I know most (as in 99.5%) of the people on these boards are UNLV fans and basketball is/was the reason.

If money was better I truly believe Harper would have moved on from Kevin after this season.

I think whatever money there is, is being directed towards football (as it should have been 15 years ago but that's a different discussion).

Harper is going to let Kevin coach himself out of a job or into an extension this year.

Rebs just don't have the money to pay a guy not to coach.
So essentially we can keep thanking Desiree for the extremely mediocre place basketball and baseball are in? Such a waste of time.

Kinda tough to read. Best rating was 19 from Reno. I saw that the Boise writer did not rank us, lol.
More 20's than I expected.

I don't love it. I guess it depends on where you started kinda as well.

Boise gave Oregon all they could handle.

Grant Oregon looked shaky 1st two weeks but absolutely rolled OSU.

So Oregon loss didn't drop them much.
Yeah but we have two good wins and being undefeated should trump their one good loss and zero good wins.

You mean like in Hauck's 2nd to last season? They wanted him gone. He wanted out. He makes a bowl game. I guess we have to bring him back for another season.

Reactions: j. spilotro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT