ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Rebel77fl2

Conference POY
Apr 15, 2016
With the 60 day window this year there has been a rush for players to enter, especially for schools whose season is complete. I am surprised no UNLV player has put their name in already, odds are someone will leave just surprised they didn’t put it in right away. With 60 day limit time does matter to get all possible destinations also schools are going to lock up spots more quickly than the past.

Current targets that have been linked with UNLV on Twitter are underwhelming to be impact transfers. Typically you don’t see players going up a level being impacts and that is what UNLV is attached with mostly (Robert Jennings from Texas Tech, the exception). My guess is over the next week as teams are knocked out we will be linked more with P5 players looking to move on. I think the lower level players we are linked with right now are more feelers but I wouldn’t see any of them committing to UNLV soon (at least I hope not).

If webster, rodriguez and gilbert stay / Cottrell turns out to be an upgrade at the 5 / and we get 1 player from the portal that is able to fill Harkless' shoes - would that be considered progress? Is anyone hoping for a scenario better than that?

I did not see anything with the current players that would make me think we could compete for the MWC title. Hakrless carried us most of the year and hes gone. We need 2-3 as good or better than Harkless to make a run for the title.

With the 60 day window this year there has been a rush for players to enter, especially for schools whose season is complete. I am surprised no UNLV player has put their name in already, odds are someone will leave just surprised they didn’t put it in right away. With 60 day limit time does matter to get all possible destinations also schools are going to lock up spots more quickly than the past.

Current targets that have been linked with UNLV on Twitter are underwhelming to be impact transfers. Typically you don’t see players going up a level being impacts and that is what UNLV is attached with mostly (Robert Jennings from Texas Tech, the exception). My guess is over the next week as teams are knocked out we will be linked more with P5 players looking to move on. I think the lower level players we are linked with right now are more feelers but I wouldn’t see any of them committing to UNLV soon (at least I hope not).
The nature of recruiting in general, but especially the new portal recruiting - I think solid info is going to be tougher to go by. And immediately true info can change in 14 seconds from now. So it’s going to be tough for anybody to be close to accurate. Much easier with traditional recruiting to be accurate.

We may nail some studs that haven’t been even named yet or ones that aren’t even in the portal yet.

I do think we will lose a small handful to the portal.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If webster, rodriguez and gilbert stay / Cottrell turns out to be an upgrade at the 5 / and we get 1 player from the portal that is able to fill Harkless' shoes - would that be considered progress? Is anyone hoping for a scenario better than that?
That would not be enough and not progress. Hoping for better but really it is just hope at this point.

I think we should have moved on from Kevin and Co. but we will see if his recruiting picks up because if the early indications are true, it will be another long season. Maybe he can pull some much needed talent from the portal but I doubt it, he will get one guy like Harkless is my guess and then we will have a bunch low IQ guys surrounding him and lose in the first round of the MWC tournament!

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
I think we should have moved on from Kevin and Co. but we will see if his recruiting picks up because if the early indications are true, it will be another long season. Maybe he can pull some much needed talent from the portal but I doubt it, he will get one guy like Harkless is my guess and then we will have a bunch low IQ guys surrounding him and lose in the first round of the MWC tournament!
Low IQ players (we are flush with them) and a high volume scorer is a terrible recipe. We’ve done that the past couple years. Unless you have an elite high volume scorer (say a Jimmer) and teammates are willing to constantly defer (takes maturity and acceptance of roles, hard to find), you’re going to stink and have an easily defusable offense.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Low IQ players (we are flush with them) and a high volume scorer is a terrible recipe. We’ve done that the past couple years. Unless you have an elite high volume scorer (say a Jimmer) and teammates are willing to constantly defer (takes maturity and acceptance of roles, hard to find), you’re going to stink and have an easily defusable offense.
Agreed!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT