ADVERTISEMENT

Top 3....

I'm not so sure about Jones. He'll be 67 this winter and has been out of college coaching the past 6 seasons.

While I don't buy in to the "template" that a lot of people thing our athletic director is going to follow when selecting a coach, I do think it would be hard to see her going with a candidate like Jones. However, I really have no idea what direction DRF will go in.

There is some evidence based on hires she has been a part of at other schools, that she looks for younger up and coming coaches.

I linked an article about it in another thread.

Hardly makes it gospel, but it does give some idea of what type of candidate she may be looking at..

Agree on Jones.

The names Anderson, Hill and June Jones.. in no particular order. You have to at least inquire about Jones regardless.

And McElwain would be a nice get also!

Of all of those, Hill most likely.

Anderson might be pretty rooted in the South now. Could be a candidate for Arkansas job...

Jones won't happen.

Mcelwain...I would like it...His conference familiarity a huge plus. @WarthogRebel suggests he may just want to get out of the armpit that is Central Michigan. It's possible. He's at a salary UNLV can likely compete with.

I'm combining these lists and adding one to get my "short list" of candidates:
  • Jay Hill
  • Jim McElwain
  • Bill Clark
  • Jim Mora
  • Brady Hoke

I've updated my "short list" to reflect the probabilities of who I believe will be announced in the press conference on Monday, December 2nd.

I've updated my "short list" to reflect the probabilities of who I believe will be announced in the press conference on Monday, December 2nd.

There was a lot of noise about it last year with Mora...

He's not working, so no buyout like with Mcelwain to worry about. (Not a huge buyout but still something to consider)

Hill makes sense.

Clark no regional ties, plus he seems more likely as an SEC guy or maybe takes Memphis if their guy gets poached.

Always liked Hoke. Zero issue if he were the guy.

Next few weeks should be intetesting.

I think how UNLV plays/results of games will determine the level of noise.

Win a couple it remains pretty quiet. Lose, especially in bad fashion it will be deafening.

Well as deafening as our limited fan base can make it.

December 2 announcement would mean a decision has been in the works for a bit.

Would be great to get any replacement in as early as possible.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT