ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching name lists...(Updated 12/2)

unlv7163

UNLV Hall of Fame
Feb 26, 2004
2 articles I read from Mark Anderson and Bruce Feldman from the Athletic. More lists (11/26)

Bruce Feldman
1-Nick Rolovich, HC Hawaii
2-Morgan Scalley, DC Utah
3-Marcus Arroyo, OC Oregon
4-Jedd Fisch, LA Rams assistant, former UCLA assistant
5-Jeff Banks, Alabama special teams/tight end coach
6-Danny Gonzales, DC Arizona St
7-Shane Beamer, Oklahoma assistant HC
8-Dennis Simmons, Oklahoma WR coach
9-Jim Mora, former UCLA HC

Mark Anderson
1-Joe Brady, passing game coordinator LSU
2-Kalen DeBoer, OC Indiana (former Fresno St OC)
3-Danny Gonzalez, DC ASU
4-Clay Helton, HC USC
5-Jay Hill, HC Weber St

Chris Vannini (The Athletic)
Similar names, but new ones include:
Butch Jones, Alabama assistant (former Tennessee HC)
Todd Graham, former ASU HC
Jeff Choate, Montana St HC
Jay Norvell, UNR HC (Haha)
Troy Taylor, Sacramento St HC
Beau Baldwin, California OC (former E Washington HC)
Scott Turner, Carolina Panthers assistant (former UNLV QB)

Mike Grimala
Keith Heckendorf, Arkansas St OC
Mike Sanford Jr , Utah St OC (former W Kentucky HC)
Kendal Briles , Florida St OC
Paul Petrino, Idaho HC

12/2
Mountain west wire 5 outside the box candidates

1-Troy Taylor (Sacramento St HC)
2-Graham Harrell (usc OC)
3-Ruffin McNeill (Oklahoma Asst HC/OLB) - former E Carolina HC. UNLV DC in 97/98
4-Keenan McCardelk (Jax Jaguars WR coach) - former unlv player
5-DeMarco Murray (Arizona RB coach)

Mark Anderson also tweeted that former Fresno St HC and Cal DC, Tim DeRuyter is interested in the job. His agents (same as Jon Gruden’s) toured the new facilities recently

Some interesting names here especially if they go coordinator route.

Last edited:
Out of all the names above Jay Hill and a distant second would be Jim Mora.

Why would Rolovich leave UH for UNLV?

Helton is still employed and wouldn't come here even if fired.. not that he would be a good fit here anyway.

I heard about Jay Hill here on rebel-net first and after researching and seeing what he has done and built from the ground up at Weber St, he is the best name on both the lists from above!

I still think who should be on any and all short lists for this search.. former HC guys except Sark and Graham.
June Jones, Pat Hill, McElwain and Hoke should be added to Jay Hill.

I know McElwain is employed but make a run at him with money, he might be a "sneaky" good hire here!

Reactions: willlevi
Both lists are underwhelming. More coordinator crap shoots. Brady will likely get a bigger name than us simply because of Burrow. Haven't we been down the Hill route before as well?

Kalen DeBoer is intriguing to me. Was 67-3 at Sioux Falls (3 national titles) so he had a successful stint as head coach. Was also an OC at Fresno St before taking the job at Indiana. But yes, other names are mostly underwhelming

Out of all the names above Jay Hill and a distant second would be Jim Mora.

Why would Rolovich leave UH for UNLV?

Helton is still employed and wouldn't come here even if fired.. not that he would be a good fit here anyway.

I heard about Jay Hill here on rebel-net first and after researching and seeing what he has done and built from the ground up at Weber St, he is the best name on both the lists from above!

I still think who should be on any and all short lists for this search.. former HC guys except Sark and Graham.
June Jones, Pat Hill, McElwain and Hoke should be added to Jay Hill.

I know McElwain is employed but make a run at him with money, he might be a "sneaky" good hire here!

As bad as our financial situation is, Hawaii may be worse.

If Desiree can actually get to 1.6 milluon per it would double his salary. Cost of living is way cheaper here as well..

Would he leave though? Doubt it..

Last edited:
Both lists are underwhelming. More coordinator crap shoots. Brady will likely get a bigger name than us simply because of Burrow. Haven't we been down the Hill route before as well?

Utah reportedly wants Scalley to replace Whittingham in a few years when he retires. They upped his pay to 800k to help keep hom there because other schools have taken interest in him...

So he's good enough in the eyes of a top 25 football program and other schools, but underwhelming for UNLV?

Come on now, we have to make this a legitimate (in the eyes of the PC world) search. Aren't there some qualified women we can consider, possibly a sideline reporter or tv analyst. Let's throw Erin Andrew's name into the mix. Come on, think outside the box, no pun intended there!!

Reactions: WarthogRebel
Utah reportedly wants Scalley to replace Whittingham in a few years when he retires. They upped his pay to 800k to help keep hom there because other schools have taken interest in him...

So he's good enough in the eyes of a top 25 football program and other schools, but underwhelming for UNLV?
Success at Utah doesn't mean success here. I remember when Holtz was supposedly grooming either Strong or Alvarez to take over. One went to Wisconsin and succeeded and the other....Taking over an already successful program is completely different than taking over one of the worst teams over the last 15 years in all of D1.

Reactions: ricovegas
Success at Utah doesn't mean success here. I remember when Holtz was supposedly grooming either Strong or Alvarez to take over. One went to Wisconsin and succeeded and the other....Taking over an already successful program is completely different than taking over one of the worst teams over the last 15 years in all of D1.

Success anywhere doesn't mean success here..That includes guys with HC experience.

I just don't think you rule out coordinators. Especially ones that are in demand.

I think it's a bad idea to shrink the pond you are fishing out of...

The Las Vegas Sun list by Mike Grimala (who seems to favor Rolovich):

Nick Rolovich - Hawaii HC
Keith Heckendorf - OC Arkansas St
Mike Sanford Jr. - OC Utah St
Jay Hill - HC Weber State
Kendal Briles - OC Florida St
Butch Jones - Alabama assistant, former Cincinnati and Tennessee
Paul Petrino - HC Idaho
Todd Graham - former ASU HC

Most of these "reporters" seem not to have done much more "research" than any of us on here.

Paul Petrino?.... since he may soon be available because he's on the hot seat for three consecutive losing seasons at Idaho?

Sanford Jr.?.... after the ugly breakup his father had with UNLV a decade ago?

Heckendorf?.... first year as an OC and Arkansas State's offensive efficiency declined a little from last season... because Heckendorf was QB coach at UNC when Mitch Tribisky played there?

Here's Grimala's list. He's throwing out a lot of different options here but he too likes Rolo #1. I know he's a UH guy but money talks. He'd have to at consider UNLV if we're going to pay a high end MWC salary. He's a good coach. UNR should have let him take over when Ault retired.

Nick Rolovich
Keith Heckendorf
Mike Sanford Jr. (not Sr. - but maybe dad will come back as his OC)
Jay Hill
Kendal Briles
Butch Jones
Paul Petrino
Todd Graham

Looks at all those no names on the lists. We are going the OTZ route for football for sure.

You can love a school but you cannot force it to love you back.

Here's Grimala's list. He's throwing out a lot of different options here but he too likes Rolo #1. I know he's a UH guy but money talks. He'd have to at consider UNLV if we're going to pay a high end MWC salary. He's a good coach. UNR should have let him take over when Ault retired.

Hawaii also has 11% state income tax for those making over $200K/year.

I would include Rolovich on my "short list". He spent some time in LV (was QB for the Las Vegas Gladiators AFL team).

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
From this list of candidates, first and second tier combined..

Jim Mora, Jay Hill, Pat Hill, Butch Davis and Houston Nutt!

Top 3 - Jay Hill Pat Hill and Butch Davis

Next Best - Jim Mora

Dark Horse - Houston Nutt

If he is a legitimate candidate, they better wrap it up quick, because bigger jobs are going to start opening up.

Sure.

All we need is someone to come up with $200,000 a month till March 2021 to pay off Tennessee. Then we need someone to come up with the $2-3 million a year he will demand as payment.

If that person is willing and available it sounds great.

Sure.

All we need is someone to come up with $200,000 a month till March 2021 to pay off Tennessee. Then we need someone to come up with the $2-3 million a year he will demand as payment.

If that person is willing and available it sounds great.
Salary is offset. So 2.2 million is his salary. Would have to pay over 2.2 a year for it to make a bump in his money for the next 4 years. So if we payed him 1.8 mill Tennessee would have to pay him 400,000.

Salary is offset. So 2.2 million is his salary. Would have to pay over 2.2 a year for it to make a bump in his money for the next 4 years. So if we payed him 1.8 mill Tennessee would have to pay him 400,000.
I am not sure but are you suggesting that Butch Jones would rather forego a life of leisure making 2.2 million/year and exchange that to enter the shit show know as UNLV athletics and work his ass off and take criticism from writers and unrealistic fans for the same 2.2 million/year.

Now I know that some of us view the UNLV coaching jobs as something every coach should give his left nut for but really.........

I am not sure but are you suggesting that Butch Jones would rather forego a life of leisure making 2.2 million/year and exchange that to enter the shit show know as UNLV athletics and work his ass off and take criticism from writers and unrealistic fans for the same 2.2 million/year.

Now I know that some of us view the UNLV coaching jobs as something every coach should give his left nut for but really.........
Possibly, to get back into the game again. Be present since his Tennessee stint didn't go as he had hoped.

Menzies got right back in the game.

Coaches like to coach. That's why the one basketball coach from Baylor who tried to cover up the one incident accepted a high school position out here. They want to remain present and seen.

Why would John Gruden give up his ESPN gig for The Raiders (besides $10 mil/per)? Because he still has the fire.

Why would Urban give up his TV thing to come here? Because he misses being in the MWC.

Yeah right, whatever, Gruden has an ego like all successful people and he had a desire to collect 10 million/year. Apparently he was still in the game as a tv analyst so I imagine Butch Jones could stay in the game also without really being in the game.

So yeah taking a job 5 steps down from where you last worked for free is STAYING IN THE GAME. That reeks of desperation!

Everyone continues to ignore the 2-3.5 million per year (not sure exact amount) for 10 years that UNLV gets for closure of the same Boyd Stadium. The question is how much of this money will they use to upgrade to a better coach?

Everyone continues to ignore the 2-3.5 million per year (not sure exact amount) for 10 years that UNLV gets for closure of the same Boyd Stadium. The question is how much of this money will they use to upgrade to a better coach?
Exactly. I can’t imagine people not understand this very important fact.

Not only that, there are opportunities for additional cash with the deal. I don’t know how the contract reads but UNLV can capitalize on percentages of suites, seats, concessions, etc. Even if it isn’t for a UNLV specific event, UNLV can make extra depending on what’s stated in the contract and I do believe there are significant allowances in there.

The big question after that is how much goes to UNLV, how much goes to athletics? In the past, you can bet your ass athletics was going to get screwed badly with most going to UNLV. I think this time around, athletics gets it all.

That doesn’t mean you all of a sudden hire a coach for 3M per year. There are increases like game day operations, probably staffing, etc. But in all, there’s going to be a pretty significant bump in UNLV money on the Raider deal that leads me to believe UNLV will be paying above 1M for a coach. My gut feel says they can ballpark it around 1.2-1.5. But that’s a total guess. Just know that there will be more money available than most people think.

Never said that. I am just clarifying the terms to sign him. From what I believe. Might be wrong. I do see us getting a better coach for less money. Much more potential HERE than the bottom of a Power 5.

Not only that, there are opportunities for additional cash with the deal. I don’t know how the contract reads but UNLV can capitalize on percentages of suites, seats, concessions, etc. Even if it isn’t for a UNLV specific event, UNLV can make extra depending on what’s stated in the contract and I do believe there are significant allowances in there.

The big question after that is how much goes to UNLV, how much goes to athletics? In the past, you can bet your ass athletics was going to get screwed badly with most going to UNLV. I think this time around, athletics gets it all.

That doesn’t mean you all of a sudden hire a coach for 3M per year. There are increases like game day operations, probably staffing, etc. But in all, there’s going to be a pretty significant bump in UNLV money on the Raider deal that leads me to believe UNLV will be paying above 1M for a coach. My gut feel says they can ballpark it around 1.2-1.5. But that’s a total guess. Just know that there will be more money available than most people think.

She said top three conference which is around 1.5...We'll see..

Thank you.

Figuring out the financial situation with football seems to be very confusing.

Recently a poster was trying to say that the operating expenses of the program will go up 3x next year in the new stadium.

That doesn't seem right at all.

So UNLV WILL get paid to move into Allegiant stadium, but that was to offset revenue generated by non UNLV SBS events, correct? Will that be a net gain?

What will happen to SBS? Does UNLV still get any revenue from events out there? Will there be any??

Its good to know that UNLV can make some extra money with the stadium outside of the gates. I think the 3x operating costs is purely the staffing of the actual games, which sounds about right. Not sure how much that affects the budget.

Thank you.

Figuring out the financial situation with football seems to be very confusing.

Recently a poster was trying to say that the operating expenses of the program will go up 3x next year in the new stadium.

That doesn't seem right at all.

So UNLV WILL get paid to move into Allegiant stadium, but that was to offset revenue generated by non UNLV SBS events, correct? Will that be a net gain?

What will happen to SBS? Does UNLV still get any revenue from events out there? Will there be any??

Its good to know that UNLV can make some extra money with the stadium outside of the gates. I think the 3x operating costs is purely the staffing of the actual games, which sounds about right. Not sure how much that affects the budget.
I do think operating costs go up about 3X, to somewhere around 200-250k per game. So that’s a cost increase for sure. But it’s more than offset by the other monies.

It’s not like UNLV is going to get rich with this, but they’ll finally have a bit of money in the till for the first time in forever.

Don’t know what would happen with SBS. My guess is sell the land. It’s a big plot, granted, right near the marshes. But somebody would buy that large plot and develop it into whatever they want.

Reactions: 220reb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT