ADVERTISEMENT

HC Targets Coordinators only..

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
If UNLV decides to go the coordinator route here, are names I think make sense.

1) Morgan Scalley UTAH DC
2) Andy Avalos Oregon DC
3) Marcus Arroyo Oregon OC
4) Danny Gonzales ASU DC
5) Kevin DeBoer Indiana OC

Anybody have other suggestions?

2) Andy Avalos Oregon DC
4) Danny Gonzales ASU DC

I actually like Graham Harrell after looking at his resume.

2) Andy Avalos Oregon DC
4) Danny Gonzales ASU DC

Beau Baldwin, Cal OC, 95-35 as a head coach and national title at FCS level (E Washington).

Reactions: billd99s
Baldwin is interesting...

Nice call.
This guy wasn't on my radar at all. Has a very impressive resume imo. Position coach (QB) at Central Washington for 8 years, OC/QB at EWU for 3 years. One season as head man at CWU then 8 at EWU during their outstanding run on the red. 2-1 record in D2 playoffs at CWU, 11-5 in FCS playoffs at EWU. The last 3 seasons at Cal will help with the scale of operations type of stuff.

I'd guess he's out of range, to be honest. Or would rather have a first BS head job somewhere with more likely success (CSU, Fresno St come to mind) before booking for Wazzu job after Leach is canned in a year or two.

This guy wasn't on my radar at all. Has a very impressive resume imo. Position coach (QB) at Central Washington for 8 years, OC/QB at EWU for 3 years. One season as head man at CWU then 8 at EWU during their outstanding run on the red. 2-1 record in D2 playoffs at CWU, 11-5 in FCS playoffs at EWU. The last 3 seasons at Cal will help with the scale of operations type of stuff.

I'd guess he's out of range, to be honest. Or would rather have a first BS head job somewhere with more likely success (CSU, Fresno St come to mind) before booking for Wazzu job after Leach is canned in a year or two.
To add to this, he had three years a 6-5 at EWU (2008, 11, and 15). Those were his only seasons not in the playoffs as a head coach. One 8-4 season where EWU lost in the first round. Five seasons of 11, 12, or 13 wins and at least one win in FCS playoffs. 2010 FCS champ.

Then there is this quote on his Cal time thus far:

On January 16, 2017, Baldwin was hired as the offensive coordinator for California of the Pac-12 Conference under new head coach Justin Wilcox. In Baldwin's second season at Cal, the Bears’ offensive efficiency ranked as the second worst among all Power Five teams.[1] Under Baldwin, the Cal offense was shutout for the first time in 20 years in its Pac-12 conference game against Utah on October 26, 2019.[2]

To add to this, he had three years a 6-5 at EWU (2008, 11, and 15). Those were his only seasons not in the playoffs as a head coach. One 8-4 season where EWU lost in the first round. Five seasons of 11, 12, or 13 wins and at least one win in FCS playoffs. 2010 FCS champ.

Then there is this quote on his Cal time thus far:

Yeah on second look, not as impressed.

Which makes him perfect...

Yeah on second look, not as impressed.

Which makes him perfect...

Of course the Cal stuff is not ideal. I don't know that it speaks directly to Baldwin as a head coach or just part of the strategy at Cal. Could also speak to Cal recruiting in the Pac 12 vs EWU recruiting the Big Sky. I imagine a guy with his success rate, combined with decent staff around him, could succeed at a school like UNLV. Some of the stuff he was doing at EWU was a lot of fun, remember how many points those teams were scoring?

Even with the Cal stuff, I think he could be a good hire. I'll say it with every name that comes up, but it's a bit of a concern when a coach has been at one or two or three schools for a long time and they are schools that are adequately funded and supported, and don't have administration dragging athletics down. Those coaches may not succeed at UNLV because of the type of school and athletics department UNLV is. It could also be that one of those coaches will be able to help right the ship.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
One thing to keep in mind regarding evaluation of coordinators is what directive they are getting from the HC. Cal’s coach, Justin Wilcox, was DC before getting the job. If Baldwin’s directive is to be conservative and play ball control, then his numbers as an OC will suffer as a result.

Certainly one must take note, and it is a piece to the puzzle. But 95-35 with a national title is also something worth noting too.

One thing to keep in mind regarding evaluation of coordinators is what directive they are getting from the HC. Cal’s coach, Justin Wilcox, was DC before getting the job. If Baldwin’s directive is to be conservative and play ball control, then his numbers as an OC will suffer as a result.

Certainly one must take note, and it is a piece to the puzzle. But 95-35 with a national title is also something worth noting too.

For sure.

I wonder if he gets a look for Fresno job.

How did Bobby Hauck do?

How did Bobby Hauck do?
Well, he certainly didn’t have anywhere near the same advantages as the next coach will. Also, just because 1 FCS coach fails, doesn’t mean the next would. Jim Tressel did just fine.

Also, I believe it’s much easier to maintain a winning program then it is to turn around a losing one. Hauck took over a Montana team that had won championships. E Washington had some moderate success before Baldwin, but he took them to the next step.

Not advocating that Baldwin should be the guy, just he’s intriguing enough to consider

Reactions: willlevi
Well, Utah d coordinator asking price taking a hit tonight. Maybe now unlv can land him

No.

One game doesn't wipe out 3-4 years of solid work..
Worth noting that while Scalley was recruiting coordinator, Utah's recruiting was near the bottom of the Pac 12 barrel.

Not saying I would put blame on him for that, but it is what it is. You're right, that game will not ruin his reputation.

Worth noting that while Scalley was recruiting coordinator, Utah's recruiting was near the bottom of the Pac 12 barrel.

Not saying I would put blame on him for that, but it is what it is. You're right, that game will not ruin his reputation.

True.

But Utah has been pretty solid, so they have done a good job of recognizing talent where others didn't or at least developing it.

Reactions: LocoRebel
True.

But Utah has been pretty solid, so they have done a good job of recognizing talent where others didn't or at least developing it.
Absolutely. I don't follow that program close enough to know whether they have recruited elite players or just above average ones and developed them, but they have absolutely gotten the job done as a staff.

One thing that worries me about bringing in a guy who isn't currently a HC (and particularly one who has spent such a long time at one school) is that there will have to be a complete staff rebuild. Maybe he could get a guy or two from Utah to take higher positions at UNLV, but I can't help but imagine if an FCS guy moved up, maybe half of the staff would be moving along side the head man.

Not that there isn't good and bad on both ends, but staff familiarity isn't something we often think about and if one of these guys comes in and has to bring in a whole bunch of guys who have never worked together (as Sanchez had to do, we saw them come in pairs mostly - the Nebraska pair, Colorado pair, two from Gorman, then singles) is a concern I have. It would get worked out of course, but you see my concern.

Absolutely. I don't follow that program close enough to know whether they have recruited elite players or just above average ones and developed them, but they have absolutely gotten the job done as a staff.

One thing that worries me about bringing in a guy who isn't currently a HC (and particularly one who has spent such a long time at one school) is that there will have to be a complete staff rebuild. Maybe he could get a guy or two from Utah to take higher positions at UNLV, but I can't help but imagine if an FCS guy moved up, maybe half of the staff would be moving along side the head man.

Not that there isn't good and bad on both ends, but staff familiarity isn't something we often think about and if one of these guys comes in and has to bring in a whole bunch of guys who have never worked together (as Sanchez had to do, we saw them come in pairs mostly - the Nebraska pair, Colorado pair, two from Gorman, then singles) is a concern I have. It would get worked out of course, but you see my concern.

That's the biggest concern, staff..

Have to add one 'Barnie Cotton' type guy.

Probably retain one on current staff.

There are a ton of coaching clinics and camps etc. These guys network.

Reactions: LocoRebel
That's the biggest concern, staff..

Have to add one 'Barnie Cotton' type guy.

Probably retain one on current staff.

There are a ton of coaching clinics and camps etc. These guys network.
True enough. It's a very small fraternity.

Would love to see Cormier held over again. Him and Skipper are two guy who I want around the program.

Reactions: dcut03
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT