ADVERTISEMENT

Top 3....

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Since the consensus seems to be that Coach Sanchez is likely out at the end of the season who are your top three candidates to replace him.

1) Danny Gonzales DC/AHC at ASU
2) Morgan Scalley- DC at Utah
3) Jay Hill- HC at Weber State

Gonzales makes most sense to me when factoring current pay (500k) conference familiarity.

Reactions: RebelinWA
No particular order but I would want Bill Clark, Brady Hoke, or Jay Hill. I think any of them would have a good shot at turning UNLV around. I think Hoke would stay in until he retired the other two I think would be gone after year 3-4 to a bigger job

No particular order but I would want Bill Clark, Brady Hoke, or Jay Hill. I think any of them would have a good shot at turning UNLV around. I think Hoke would stay in until he retired the other two I think would be gone after year 3-4 to a bigger job

Bill Clark seems like the least likely, but would love to get him. Amazing job at UAB.

Downside with Clark is familiarity with the West Coast.

Plus he's being floated as a guy for bigger jobs.

I'm not sure UNLV could offer him enough to get him here. It would be at best a lateral move and that's being generous.

Hoke might be the safest of the three you mentioned. A very solid hire.

Hill the most upside.

When talking about UNLV as a lateral job, we need to look at what the potential of UNLV is with the right coach. If the right coach comes in and takes UNLV to bowl games, this city will find the money to be very competitive regarding pay and will easily far out pace any other MWC team.

When talking about UNLV as a lateral job, we need to look at what the potential of UNLV is with the right coach. If the right coach comes in and takes UNLV to bowl games, this city will find the money to be very competitive regarding pay and will easily far out pace any other MWC team.

I'm talking about right now.

To leave a school you are winning 10 games a year at for a school that has struggled for the better part of 30 years is at best a lateral move.

Now if UNLV was positioned/rumored to be getting P5 acceptance, sure it is a move up.

But right now if you are a guy like Bill Clark who is gaining momentum as a P5 candidate or at the least a job at a high end G5 school like Memphis, why would you leave UAB?

Clark is under contract until i think 2022 and is making at or just north of 1 million per right now. I'm not sure even 2 million per would get him or a guy in a similiar situation to come to UNLV. All his ties are in SEC country.

My top three not who I think is DRF top three.

Mora - Former Pro and UCLA HC
Hoke - Former Ball State and Michigan HC
Jay Hill - Current Ball State HC

No particular order but I would want Bill Clark, Brady Hoke, or Jay Hill.

I'm combining these lists and adding one to get my "short list" of candidates:
  • Jay Hill
  • Jim McElwain
  • Bill Clark
  • Jim Mora
  • Brady Hoke
McElwain and Hoke are the only proven MWC winners that are not currently in the MWC or at P5 schools.

The coordinators that @Bullmastiff 1 mentions... not only do I not know anything about them, but both are DCs and I know people keep saying emphasize defense, but it takes more time, patience and staff continuity to recruit and build on the defensive side... and I'm not sure that's the direction we can go right now.

I'm combining these lists and adding one to get my "short list" of candidates:
  • Jay Hill
  • Jim McElwain
  • Bill Clark
  • Jim Mora
  • Brady Hoke
McElwain and Hoke are the only proven MWC winners that are not currently in the MWC or at P5 schools.

The coordinators that @Bullmastiff 1 mentions... not only do I not know anything about them, but both are DCs and I know people keep saying emphasize defense, but it takes more time, patience and staff continuity to recruit and build on the defensive side... and I'm not sure that's the direction we can go right now.

You cannot win games consistently giving up 30+ a game.

Most people haven't heard of college OC/DCs unless you are a fan of the team.

Scalley is likely going to take over for Whittingham when he retires at Utah...But
Would be a no for you for UNLV? Go look at the defenses and what he's done since he's been there. Guy can coach. Sure he's picked up some stuff being around Whittingham for a decade..

Gonzales defenses have improved every year he's been there. He did well enough in one year at SDSU, Herm Edwards said yep, give me that dude when he took the ASU job. Edwards made him associate HC before this year. Considered a solid recruiter. Same thing, sure he's picked up some stuff being around Rocky Long for over a decade.

Two guys you mentioned Hoke and Mora are defensive guys.

The third, Jay Hill, was primarily DB and special team coach. I believe he calls the defense for Weber State. So also a defensive minded guy.

Mora, Hoke likely not happening. Maybe. Doubt it.

Mcelwain would be a tough get for salary reasons. He's at 1.6 million in compensation at CMU. Plus he's doing well there. Why leave? Love to have him, but why come to UNLV unless they can pay you way more. Is he worth 2 million per?

Bill Clark. Again, love to have him. All south ties though. Likely getting a P5 job or higher end G5 job like a Memphis. He's at a million. Even if UNLV gets to 1.5 or 2, why leave a good thing at UAB when you likely get a call from a Tennesse or Arkansas in a couple years..

I wouldn't say "no" to either Scalley or Gonzales, it's just that it's easier for me to know what to expect if we are hiring someone with HC experience. When you hire a DC then usually he's not bringing many assistants who have coached under him previously, and he doesn't have the experience of building a staff.

What I do like about those two guys is that they both should be very tuned in with recruiting prospects on the west coast for the next few years - that is something that guys Mora would have to lean heavily on assistants for.

As far as I could tell McElwain was right about the same salary level as Tony Sanchez. He may have gotten a new deal or might be offered one after this season, but $650K looked like his current salary.

I wouldn't say "no" to either Scalley or Gonzales, it's just that it's easier for me to know what to expect if we are hiring someone with HC experience. When you hire a DC then usually he's not bringing many assistants who have coached under him previously, and he doesn't have the experience of building a staff.

What I do like about those two guys is that they both should be very tuned in with recruiting prospects on the west coast for the next few years - that is something that guys Mora would have to lean heavily on assistants for.

As far as I could tell McElwain was right about the same salary level as Tony Sanchez. He may have gotten a new deal or might be offered one after this season, but $650K looked like his current salary.

650k base plus nearly a million in Florida buyout money. Not sure details on his contract buyout.

Would 1- 1.5 million be enough to lure him away?

Maybe..

650k base plus nearly a million in Florida buyout money. Not sure details on his contract buyout.

Maybe..

The million from Florida he would still get if he leaves CMU, and he gets that three more years. Some of that is going in payments to CSU for his $2M buyout, of which $1.5M he still owed last winter.

He's in a good spot now, so it might be tough to lure him away. But the UNLV job at this particular moment has some shiny new facilities that might get some interest that we wouldn't have gotten before.

You cannot win games consistently giving up 30+ a game.

Most people haven't heard of college OC/DCs unless you are a fan of the team.

Scalley is likely going to take over for Whittingham when he retires at Utah...But
Would be a no for you for UNLV? Go look at the defenses and what he's done since he's been there. Guy can coach. Sure he's picked up some stuff being around Whittingham for a decade..

Gonzales defenses have improved every year he's been there. He did well enough in one year at SDSU, Herm Edwards said yep, give me that dude when he took the ASU job. Edwards made him associate HC before this year. Considered a solid recruiter. Same thing, sure he's picked up some stuff being around Rocky Long for over a decade.

Two guys you mentioned Hoke and Mora are defensive guys.

The third, Jay Hill, was primarily DB and special team coach. I believe he calls the defense for Weber State. So also a defensive minded guy.

Mora, Hoke likely not happening. Maybe. Doubt it.

Mcelwain would be a tough get for salary reasons. He's at 1.6 million in compensation at CMU. Plus he's doing well there. Why leave? Love to have him, but why come to UNLV unless they can pay you way more. Is he worth 2 million per?

Bill Clark. Again, love to have him. All south ties though. Likely getting a P5 job or higher end G5 job like a Memphis. He's at a million. Even if UNLV gets to 1.5 or 2, why leave a good thing at UAB when you likely get a call from a Tennesse or Arkansas in a couple years..

"He's at 1.6 million in compensation at CMU. Plus he's doing well there. Why leave?"

Because he's at CMU. That's in Mt. Pleasant Mich. The highs will be in the 30's and lows in the teens and twenties for the next 10 days. It rains/snows/ and sleets all winter and it's hot and humid all summer.
The weather is nice in the spring and fall - all six weeks total.

I went to college in Michigan and a friend of mine counted the number of consecutive overcast days in the spring. 31 days. That's worse than Seattle. Suicide watch time.

And you can drive a few hours to Detroit for fun. YEAH!!

"He's at 1.6 million in compensation at CMU. Plus he's doing well there. Why leave?"

Because he's at CMU. That's in Mt. Pleasant Mich. The highs will be in the 30's and lows in the teens and twenties for the next 10 days. It rains/snows/ and sleets all winter and it's hot and humid all summer.
The weather is nice in the spring and fall - all six weeks total.

I went to college in Michigan and a friend of mine counted the number of consecutive overcast days in the spring. 31 days. That's worse than Seattle. Suicide watch time.

And you can drive a few hours to Detroit for fun. YEAH!!

West Virginia is in Morgantown, Texas Tech is in Waco Texas. Washington State is in Pullman. Penn State in the middle of nowhere.

Not sure location matters all that much.

I mean is CMU weather that much worse than Lansing or Ann Arbor?

Would likely need to double salary to get him here. Cool if they could/did. Don't think so though.

Last edited:
Let's face it, the UNLV job is going to be a tough sell for any coach that has other head coaching opportunities, regardless of the dollars. Any proven HC is going to have other options for making the money, so we need a coach who sees UNLV as the place where he has the opportunity to be what Steve Fisher was to SDSU basketball. Is that coach out there? I'm not optimistic.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Let's face it, the UNLV job is going to be a tough sell for any coach that has other head coaching opportunities, regardless of the dollars. Any proven HC is going to have other options for making the money, so we need a coach who sees UNLV as the place where he has the opportunity to be what Steve Fisher was to SDSU basketball. Is that coach out there? I'm not optimistic.

It creates a small pond to fish from.

Maybe we recognize the next up and coming coach.

West Virginia is in Morgantown, Texas Tech is in Waco Texas. Washington State is in Pullman. Penn State in the middle of nowhere.

Not sure location matters all that much.

I mean is CMU weather that much worse than Lansing or Ann Arbor?

Would likely need to double salary to get him here. Cool if they could/did. Don't think so though.

You asked "Why Leave?" and I gave you an answer. Seriously, from someone who lived there for 5 years, central Michigan sucks on many levels- weather only being one. I can't imagine anyone staying if there is a path out.

Maybe..
McIlwain still gets his Florida buyout $$ if he comes here so that is moot.

His CMU salary is $ 650000

He still owes $333,000 to CSU personally.

His buyout to CMU is $ 1 million.

If you double his salary to $1.3 and paid his buyout of $ 1m and paid his portion of the CSU buyout at $333,333 that's a little less than $2.7 the first year and $1.3 after that. ( plus he would still get $1 mill a year for two years from Florida)

One thing I can't find is any language that would prevent him from taking a MWC coaching job for a certain number of years.

IMO, money would not be the deciding factor on hiring Jim McIlwain.

At these numbers ( Not including the Florida money) he'd still be the 5th highest paid MWC football coach.

You asked "Why Leave?" and I gave you an answer. Seriously, from someone who lived there for 5 years, central Michigan sucks on many levels- weather only being one. I can't imagine anyone staying if there is a path out.

I get that, but you used location as a reason. I'm just saying a lot of good programs are in less than desirable locations.

I mentioned this before. I love Vegas, but it's not a town for everybody or their family. Still a stigma.

He's 6-4 at CMU.

Let's be honest, UNLV has 20+ years of ineptitude. It's a risky job even with the upgrades, especially if you are doing well at your current stop.

I just wonder if guys are more apt to stay put and wait for a better job vs take a risk with UNLV.

Mcelwain would be a great get. I would have no issue with him coming here at all.

I just wonder if UNLV could get to a salary number that could entice him, plus afford the buyout they would have to pay.

I don't think it happens....

If he were a 'free agent' it would be way more likely.

McIlwain still gets his Florida buyout $$ if he comes here so that is moot.

His CMU salary is $ 650000

He still owes $333,000 to CSU personally.

His buyout to CMU is $ 1 million.

If you double his salary to $1.3 and paid his buyout of $ 1m and paid his portion of the CSU buyout at $333,333 that's a little less than $2.7 the first year and $1.3 after that. ( plus he would still get $1 mill a year for two years from Florida)

One thing I can't find is any language that would prevent him from taking a MWC coaching job for a certain number of years.

IMO, money would not be the deciding factor on hiring Jim McIlwain.

At these numbers ( Not including the Florida money) he'd still be the 5th highest paid MWC football coach.

It's not a huge amount of money, but would UNLV pay it?

I don't know...Maybe...

It's not a huge amount of money, but would UNLV pay it?

I don't know...Maybe...
I agree.

I really believe she goes with an FCS coach none of us have talked about. Similar to OTZ. It was a real surprise when his name dropped. I believe it will be the same for football.

I agree.

I really believe she goes with an FCS coach none of us have talked about. Similar to OTZ. It was a real surprise when his name dropped. I believe it will be the same for football.

It's UNLV so you never know.

At this point you could be a candidate.

How does UNR find a coach who is now 11-11 in MWC games after 3 years and is bowl eligible for the second straight year after all the preseason projections said UNR and UNLV were pretty equal.

Norvell had mostly been a position coach prior to UNR, and had been at ASU in '15, Texas in '14, and Oklahoma before that (where he was WR coach and Co-OC). UNR was his 6th school in 13 years of coaching. How does an AD find a guy like that?

It was tough yesterday listening to some Wolf Pack fans reaction to the school's first win over a ranked team be "we're buying our tickets to the UNLV game while there's still decent seats left".

How does UNR find a coach who is now 11-11 in MWC games after 3 years and is bowl eligible for the second straight year after all the preseason projections said UNR and UNLV were pretty equal.

Norvell had mostly been a position coach prior to UNR, and had been at ASU in '15, Texas in '14, and Oklahoma before that (where he was WR coach and Co-OC). UNR was his 6th school in 13 years of coaching. How does an AD find a guy like that?

It was tough yesterday listening to some Wolf Pack fans reaction to the school's first win over a ranked team be "we're buying our tickets to the UNLV game while there's still decent seats left".

I'll see your Reno and raise you an SJSU.

After winning 2 games last year they are at 4 wins and involved in very competitive games. They played Boise, Hawaii and Reno down to the wire.

Oh, and half their stadium bleachers don't exsist because of renovations. It's just a hill. One entire side of the stadium, is a hill.

Last edited:
I'll see your Reno and raise you an SJSU.

After winning 2 games last year they are at 4 wins and involved in very competitive games. They played Boise, Hawaii and Reno down to the wire.

Oh, and half their stadium bleachers don't exsist because of renovations. It's just a hill. One entire side of the stadium, is a hill.
The other guy always puts it together, even if for a season or two or three, while we just stay the same old course.

We'll get to see both Brennan and Norvell coach in our final two games.

There was reportedly a lot of dysfunction in Reno the last two years...And yet....

San Jose State just got word on a sports facility. Not on the scale of the Fertitta complex but a positive for them. But overall that is an athletic department with a lot of money issues. Coming off a horrible season. They may not make a bowl but they are at least competitive and showing actual growth, in year three.

Two more names that might be worth throwing out there...

Todd Graham - (Currently not coaching) in 12 seasons as an FBS head coach, his worst season was 5-7. He was at ASU from 2012-2017. His background is defense. Before ASU he was HC at Rice, Tulsa, and Pitt. He's only 54 and says he wants another HC position. He's known for building solid coaching staffs and he has lots of connections. He got a $12M buyout from ASU and his contract was through the '20 season, so that might complicate the financial part.

Blake Anderson, HC Arkansas State. We've become familiar with his coaching the past two seasons. Has made bowls all five of the years he's been a HC, and appears headed to his 6th this season. Note though that he didn't have to "build" much since he took over Ark St following some other pretty good coaches. He did spend 3 seasons in the MWC under Rocky Long at UNM. Unless he had a recent contract extension, his salary is $750K and his buyout is $500K. You would have to think his name might come up for the Arkansas job (he was considered for Baylor a few years ago).

Two more names that might be worth throwing out there...

Todd Graham - (Currently not coaching) in 12 seasons as an FBS head coach, his worst season was 5-7. He was at ASU from 2012-2017. His background is defense. Before ASU he was HC at Rice, Tulsa, and Pitt. He's only 54 and says he wants another HC position. He's known for building solid coaching staffs and he has lots of connections. He got a $12M buyout from ASU and his contract was through the '20 season, so that might complicate the financial part.

Blake Anderson, HC Arkansas State. We've become familiar with his coaching the past two seasons. Has made bowls all five of the years he's been a HC, and appears headed to his 6th this season. Note though that he didn't have to "build" much since he took over Ark St following some other pretty good coaches. He did spend 3 seasons in the MWC under Rocky Long at UNM. Unless he had a recent contract extension, his salary is $750K and his buyout is $500K. You would have to think his name might come up for the Arkansas job (he was considered for Baylor a few years ago).

Todd Graham is a very interesting name. Saw an article he wants to coach still, not sure the particulars of his buyout.

Has some familiarity with the region.

Blake Anderson has kept Arkansas State rolling. Winning an avg of 8 games a year. He did take over a school in pretty good shape like you mentioned. I have to think he or Bill Clark will get a call about the Arkansas job.

One funny note on Graham, if you google Todd Graham, one of the first searches that comes up is Todd Graham Headset. The one he wears looks like one you would see members of a boy band wear in concert. I guess it was a running joke at ASU.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...y-band-headset-to-save-arizona-states-season/

I threw in the "defensive background" part to draw you in.

That got a chuckle...

I'm not dead set that's the way they should go, just a preference..

I like Graham...

Had a winning season at Rice..(Not easy to do).

Won 10 games 3x at Tulsa with one 5-7 year in there (his 3rd).

Need to read up more, but had one 6-6 season with Pitt before bolting for ASU. Seemed odd to leave that quick. Bad fit maybe?

Won the Pac 12 one year.

Last couple seasons were middling.

I would certainly be happy if he were hired...

Need to read up more, but had one 6-6 season with Pitt before bolting for ASU. Seemed odd to leave that quick. Bad fit maybe?

Yes, he is somebody else's "Chris Beard" but at Texas Tech they view Chris Beard a little differently than we do at UNLV.

Most of the candidates that emerge are probably going to have some question marks, blemishes, or gaps on their resume.

It seemed like Graham had a few other quirks, like insisting on drug testing all his players every couple months.

Reactions: WarthogRebel
The names Anderson, Hill and June Jones.. in no particular order. You have to at least inquire about Jones regardless.

And McElwain would be a nice get also!

The names Anderson, Hill and June Jones.. in no particular order. You have to at least inquire about Jones regardless.

And McElwain would be a nice get also!

I'm not so sure about Jones. He'll be 67 this winter and has been out of college coaching the past 6 seasons.

While I don't buy in to the "template" that a lot of people thing our athletic director is going to follow when selecting a coach, I do think it would be hard to see her going with a candidate like Jones. However, I really have no idea what direction DRF will go in.

In regards to McElwein and Anderson...
Even though they may be in lesser cities in arguably lesser conferences, they are currently in better football jobs.

Not to say that they are unreachable, but it would have to be a very significant bump in pay to bring them in.

UNLV is historically a career killer. You can't dismiss that. Sure we will have shiny new toys starting next season, but it is still turd polish, really.

I like the idea of Graham, though he could probably wait it out for a better job.

Money is the real question. WE had to go on the cheap for our coach (more or less). But football is different, especially this once in a lifetime chance to open a state of the art stadium with a brand new practice facility.

Football should pay the bills and should be the most important part of an athletic department. Could DRF been anticipating this and raising money? Or his she hamstrung and we have to go for on the cheap?

I think 2 mil is the most we could possibly expect either way, but deep down, I think it will be less.

Yes, he is somebody else's "Chris Beard" but at Texas Tech they view Chris Beard a little differently than we do at UNLV.

Most of the candidates that emerge are probably going to have some question marks, blemishes, or gaps on their resume.

It seemed like Graham had a few other quirks, like insisting on drug testing all his players every couple months.

Anybody that coaches long enough has some blemishes.

Nothing about his career arc/resume is concerning.

I'd be happy if he is being considered as a candidate. But only if he wears the headset.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT