ADVERTISEMENT

Top 20 Maui Games Ever

Boston Rebel 2

Retired Number
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2020
UNLV makes the list. I remember the Maui game it references us losing to them again later that season at home by 2. For some reason I don't remember that game. OU was good that year I believe that is the year they lost to Kansas in the title game.

Funny thing was - that was not a very good UNLV team, at all.

Basnight was a senior …. Booby James was point, he had balls but a seriously low basketball IQ … Paddio was probably the best scorer and I think he got hurt for a portion of the year, an abdominal strain if I’m mistaken, anyone who’s experienced that knows the pain and limitations. Todd was a mediocre center (big shot vs temple), Rossum was a senior guard, serviceable but not great … promising freshman in Stacy A. Keith James was an ok player … Willard was ok, Richard Robinson wasn’t good at all … it just wasn’t a good team. I know they were 28-6 and made it to the second round of the NCAAT … but really, comparatively speaking, they were tough to watch sometimes. I know they were top 20 all year, but they were missing a lot. I think they way overachieved. I think it really does speak to how good of a coach Tark actually was.

Ooops, just remembered, discard. That was the 87-88 team after our FF loss to Indiana.

The 88-89 was a growing team. Greg was young and didn’t learn the nuances of PG that well at that point … Anderson was a hot shot from Detroit, had a lot of mistakes (atoned with his shot vs Arizona). Stacey a sophomore. Butler and Scurry at end of semester break. They had the makings of a really good team but struggled a bit. Obviously LJ put them over the top the next year.

The loss at home, I think Stacey King went for 48. Mookie Blaylock was the PG. Late in the game, UNLV ball, down 2 … Rebels in the halfcourt offense. Hunt with a really bad pass, easily picked by Blaylock, almost looked like he mistakenly passed it to him … we drop the game. Oklahoma was very good that year, they did lose to Danny Manning and the Miracles in the NCAA championship game.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Basnight was a senior …. Booby James was point, he had balls but a seriously low basketball IQ … Paddio was probably the best scorer and I think he got hurt for a portion of the year, an abdominal strain if I’m mistaken, anyone who’s experienced that knows the pain and limitations. Todd was a mediocre center (big shot vs temple), Rossum was a senior guard, serviceable but not great … promising freshman in Stacy A. Keith James was an ok player … Willard was ok, Richard Robinson wasn’t good at all … it just wasn’t a good team. I know they were 28-6 and made it to the second round of the NCAAT … but really, comparatively speaking, they were tough to watch sometimes. I know they were top 20 all year, but they were missing a lot. I think they way overachieved.

Ooops, just remembered, discard. That was the 87-88 team after our FF loss to Indiana.

The 88-89 was a growing team. Greg was young and didn’t learn the nuances of PG that well at that point … Anderson was a hot shot from Detroit, had a lot of mistakes (atoned with his shot vs Arizona). Stacey a sophomore. Butler and Scurry at end of semester break. They had the makings of a really good team but struggled a bit. Obviously LJ put them over the top the next year.

The loss at home, I think Stacey King went for 48. Mookie Blaylock was the PG. Late in the game, UNLV ball, down 2 … Rebels in the halfcourt offense. Hunt with a really bad pass, easily picked by Blaylock, almost looked like he mistakenly passed it to him … we drop the game. Oklahoma was very good that year, they did lose to Danny Manning and the Miracles in the NCAA championship game.
This kinda sucks. I can instantly recall this type of thing but I can’t tell you who beat us in the MWCT last season.

Basnight was a senior …. Booby James was point, he had balls but a seriously low basketball IQ … Paddio was probably the best scorer and I think he got hurt for a portion of the year, an abdominal strain if I’m mistaken, anyone who’s experienced that knows the pain and limitations. Todd was a mediocre center (big shot vs temple), Rossum was a senior guard, serviceable but not great … promising freshman in Stacy A. Keith James was an ok player … Willard was ok, Richard Robinson wasn’t good at all … it just wasn’t a good team. I know they were 28-6 and made it to the second round of the NCAAT … but really, comparatively speaking, they were tough to watch sometimes. I know they were top 20 all year, but they were missing a lot. I think they way overachieved. I think it really does speak to how good of a coach Tark actually was.

I couldn't remember if this team was the one that lost in the second round to Iowa (that team wasn't good) or the one that upset Arizona and lost to Seton Hall.

Now that you mention King having 48 I do remember that game.

Good game last night in the Maui Classic. UCLA vs # 4 Marquette. Sebastian Mack from LV a freshman had a great game 25 and 6, 13 of 13 on FTs, but missed a shot as he drove to the basket at the buzzer for what would have sent the game to OT

This kinda sucks. I can instantly recall this type of thing but I can’t tell you who beat us in the MWCT last season.
Same. I can remember still recall our 1986-87 pre-season NIT games against Western Kentucky(Tellis Frank, Kannard Johnson) and Temple(Mark Macon, and their big man Ramon Rivas?) but don't ask me who we played last week! I know we had tough games against both but it was the W.Kentucky game that took us to one or two OTs. Gilliam was a beast against their huge frontcourt.

I've seen many of the games on this list in person; the MIT is still the best regular season tournament. Too bad it has to be played on Oahu this year - especially with the stacked field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT