ADVERTISEMENT

Abso freaking lutely guaranteed

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Two game winning streak headed into MWC play, three if we win tonight, as we should.

After tonight, the vaunted Carroll College Christmas Carolers. But wait, there’s more!

UNLV just added another game since the Dayton game was cancelled.

Brace yourselves for this one. Clear your calendars.

On Jan 2, at the Cox Pavilion, UNLV will have to be near perfection when they host 0-12 Bethesda, a team that has lost multiple 50+ point games against top competition such as Hope International and Menlo!

But that’s not all! Remember how we used to laugh at St Katherine’s? Well laugh no more. The Kittens even beat Bethesda by double digits. So did another former opponent, the High Life Pacificas beat them by double digits as well.

Tickets are limited so rush out and get yours to witness the battle of the ages at Cox Pavilion.

I mean seriously. Just don’t play the freaking game. It’s embarrassing to everyone. I never thought UNLV would stoop this low. Listen, I understand getting takers at this point is impossible. But why have the game at all? It’s stupid, it’s a waste of time. We can take 7 40+ year old Rebel Netters and complete against the Bethesdas.

Wow. Just wow. I’m floored that we even considered this let alone solidified it.

Is this to faux-pad the win total? Juice up player stats? Beating Carol and Beth isn’t going to make them feel good about themselves heading into a game vs SDSU. You aren’t going to “get better” against teams like this. The players will be embarrassed to play these games. If anything, it’s a coach saying “we don’t believe you can beat real teams, so we will give you this”.

This is, yet again, a low point, IMO.

I am not a fan of these kinds of meaningless games. If they aren't helping the team work on its weaknesses in some way I don't see the point of scheduling them.

These games are the perfect opportunity to boost our vaunted 3 point shooting ego even higher.. Nothing says bring on one of the best teams in the league like dropping 14 3s on 40 attempts and winning by 40... and all around we'll show up vs SDSU on a high thinking we're great, winners of 4 out of last 5, multiple 20+ point wins... the script is already written

Reactions: j. spilotro
These games are the perfect opportunity to boost our vaunted 3 point shooting ego even higher.. Nothing says bring on one of the best teams in the league like dropping 14 3s on 40 attempts and winning by 40... and all around we'll show up vs SDSU on a high thinking we're great, winners of 4 out of last 5, multiple 20+ point wins... the script is already written
Usually I defer to - well, the game is on the slate. You gotta play it. It’s on your plate, take care of business.

But this one wasn’t. We added it late. Slopped on a heap of inedible goo just for the hell of it.

Reactions: goraphareb
This is the type of game that Kentucky plays as an exhibition during the preseason. I watch it on TV every year. Cal is usually talking with the announcers during the game and has no concern at all about pulling out the W.

They do it somewhere in Kentucky to showcase the team to fans around the state. It's actually a good move so that they keep the entire state engaged.

Reactions: Rosegreen1
If you want to go and you're a season ticket holder you need to order free tickets by the 26th. There should be a link in your email.

The real question is WTF are we going to do when get into league play ????

I watched REno last night - Turns out Dickhead Alford is actually a good coach - his players play hard - play smart and look like they are coached up. They seem like they are following a plan - Novel idea- Without a doubt REno will sweep us this year .

4-14 wasn't that the last place record MW Menzies took us to incredibly low depths?? -

I think we will do better than only 4 wins in conference this year tho...- We might get 6 wins if we are lucky but lowering the standards seems to be a way to NOT set records.
Kevins goal at this juncture seems to be......... to not go down as one of the worst Rebel coaches ever. Here comes an Illusion. Shazaam - Poof- now we have a better record.

Last edited:
Not a great reason to play this game. Especially with Carrol right before. Back to back games of this caliber really does nothing.

Hopefully with both of these games, Shane can get some more play to work out some kinks, same with some of our other backups that need to get in rhythm like Whaley and even Keylan.

I'm not sure the rules, but it is possible that we may get punished for playing 2 games against lower division. Like it may hurt our numbers, don't quote me on that.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Actual records mean very little. It is almost like the old stats in baseball. Not many really look there for real data.

These days we have so many ranking systems, that we can get a good feel for how we actually did year to year. Between Kenpom, NET, Massey, individual websites, etc.

The one exception about record to me is conference record/finish. There is some variance year to year in the quality of the league, but it has been steady. And like it or not, the MW are our peers. We need

Reactions: LVRebel2000
"Actual records mean very little. It is almost like the old stats in baseball. Not many really look there for real data."

Perspective Bro -

Lets say you are a coach - and people ask you are you a good coach ? how do you answer that question?

If they really wanted to know the bottom line if you are a good coach or not thy might ask you what your record was last year

like lets say you are a basketball player and you have never heard of UNLV (trust me i know a ton of IMG kids who have No clue of who UNLV is or was)

This would be a very standard question

Does the record matter ? - Of coarse it does

PS: Legacy - its possible KK total d1 coaching experience is going to only be his time at UNLV

Does his record matter ? Of coarse it does. It is his legacy

"Actual records mean very little. It is almost like the old stats in baseball. Not many really look there for real data."

Perspective Bro -

Lets say you are a coach - and people ask you are you a good coach ? how do you answer that question?

If they really wanted to know the bottom line if you are a good coach or not thy might ask you what your record was last year

like lets say you are a basketball player and you have never heard of UNLV (trust me i know a ton of IMG kids who have No clue of who UNLV is or was)

This would be a very standard question

Does the record matter ? - Of coarse it does

PS: Legacy - its possible KK total d1 coaching experience is going to only be his time at UNLV

Does his record matter ? Of coarse it does. It is his legacy
I get what you mean. But it is just a superficial number. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Not when it comes to big decisions (like his future with us).

People still like to see Batting averages and ERA too, but managers don't call games based off of these numbers.

Kids ask me, is UNLV in the tournament? That totally matters. Record has very little to do with NCAA placement.

Not a great reason to play this game. Especially with Carrol right before. Back to back games of this caliber really does nothing.

Hopefully with both of these games, Shane can get some more play to work out some kinks, same with some of our other backups that need to get in rhythm like Whaley and even Keylan.

I'm not sure the rules, but it is possible that we may get punished for playing 2 games against lower division. Like it may hurt our numbers, don't quote me on that.
Generally speaking these types of garbage games truly are worthless and can have an adverse impact on a team. For UNLV this season I do understand wanting to make up the canceled game however possible. As you inferred the team has a number of areas needing cleaning up, including key players that simply need more game time situations, even against very poor opponents, just to get a better feel for the offense, fine tune their defense, and get into better game shape for conference play. While I detest these lower division games, in this case I think it’s understandable that CKK added it to the schedule. I’d much rather they try to work out some of the kinks in this scenario rather than @SDSU. It likely won’t make a difference in the outcome of that game, but could be helpful a few weeks latter against a more equal opponent. Let’s just hope UNLV doesn’t actually count it as an official win. Now THAT would be embarrassing.

Generally speaking these types of garbage games truly are worthless and can have an adverse impact on a team. For UNLV this season I do understand wanting to make up the canceled game however possible. As you inferred the team has a number of areas needing cleaning up, including key players that simply need more game time situations, even against very poor opponents, just to get a better feel for the offense, fine tune their defense, and get into better game shape for conference play. While I detest these lower division games, in this case I think it’s understandable that CKK added it to the schedule. I’d much rather they try to work out some of the kinks in this scenario rather than @SDSU. It likely won’t make a difference in the outcome of that game, but could be helpful a few weeks latter against a more equal opponent. Let’s just hope UNLV doesn’t actually count it as an official win. Now THAT would be embarrassing.
We outrebound them 50-20 … great job at controlling the boards today, we were aggressive on both boards and our technique was great …. Ok ….

Great defense … we held them to 22% from the floor … good job guys …

Points in the paint, we ourscored them 53-3. Awesome presence ….

Fast break opportunities - 26-2. Way to get out and run, force the pace …. Good job.

We will win by 60, just like these other teams. I’m sure these other teams aren’t pinpointing it as a reason for improvement over the course.

This game did not need to be played. You don’t need to be a coach, you don’t need to be a player, you don’t even need an IQ above 70 to know that this garbage is a waste of time.

Can’t wait to see the attendance for this thing.

We outrebound them 50-20 … great job at controlling the boards today, we were aggressive on both boards and our technique was great …. Ok ….

Fast break opportunities - 26-2. Way to get out and run, force the pace …. Good job.

We will win by 60, just like these other teams. I’m sure these other teams aren’t pinpointing it as a reason for improvement over the course.

This game did not need to be played. You don’t need to be a coach, you don’t need to be a player, you don’t even need an IQ above 70 to know that this garbage is a waste of time.

Do you mind if I copy and paste your first four lines after we beat that team soundly? It will save me the time and effort of coming up with some overhyping propaganda.

Thank you in advance.

The things in bold won’t ever happen with you know who at the helm and the inconsistent players we have, will never stay focused enough to do any of this!

Do you mind if I copy and paste your first four lines after we beat that team soundly? It will save me the time and effort of coming up with some overhyping propaganda.

Thank you in advance.
Go for it. Obviously some hyperbole in there, but it’ll be closer to truth than not.

The truth is, Findlay Prep of old would beat Bethesda by 30. Most current LV HS’s would beat them straight up.

It’s a game that shouldn’t be played.

Games like these won’t prepare us or make us better. They open the door for bad habits and diminishing intensity. SDSU will seem more daunting when we step out on the floor with them because of these games. Maybe a little random, but this scheduling makes me think of Richie McKay.

All about stats, KK builds another W, slow build.

Unless Creighton version shows up, long season, MWC is not good, Reno beat a bunch lower bottom P5 schools, I hate Alford but he win at UNLV, that's all I got to say.

Reactions: rebel5280
So how much is UNLV paying this school to add to the schedule? Can UNLV take it out of Krugers pay? (Yes I know they cant)

Look, KK has a win against a top 8 apponent. What else does he have to prove?! 😂

lol. Former stud recruit (I know that because I read it here on Rebel Net from recruiting gurus) Jaylon Martinez went for a huge game against UNLV’s first opponent of the new year, St Bethel’s or whatever, he was perfect from the floor with 12 points and 10 rebounds and he did that in an astounding 13 minutes (huge production!) in Riverside’s nail biting 46 point victory over the 0-13 Baloney Pony’s.

I still can’t believe we decided to play this game. It’s as cringey as it gets.

Hopefully the Fainting Goats don’t pass out when the fireworks go off.

• Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Martinez was as low effort and unathletic as we've ever had here (I'm including coaches, administrators, and faculty/educators). If we can't outrebound (whatever their mascot is) then I'd be fine with an in-game firing. If we trail at any time in rebounding after the 10-minute mark, have the assistant from Washington lead us the rest of the game and season.

Reactions: j. spilotro
It’s these Bethesda programs where the future Cody Doolin of hoops could be coming out. We need to keep an eye out and start some program interference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT