ADVERTISEMENT

Timing of the bye week

dcut03

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
I see good and bad in this.

The good: For us to have any shot at a good showing at Ohio State, we are going to have to get creative. We have to throw stuff at them they have never seen on film for us. The extra week can help prepare for that. I'm glad we aren't playing OSU this week since they are coming off a loss and will undoubtedly take it out on Army this week.

Also OSU seems to struggle against the pass. Has given up the most passing yards to FBS in the country. Army won't help them get better that is a positive.

The negative of course that this is really early to have a bye. We don't need the rest to get guys healthy nearly as much as we would later in the season. Also I feel like we have some momentum after the win this weekend, and would like to see that roll over to another game this week.

And to be honest, and Monte won't like this, but how much will that bye week help against OSU really? It may be a smart idea by going in there with a vanilla plan, try to use as much clock as possible, and try to get out of there as healthy as possible with a paycheck in hand.

I guess the best plan is to go in there with a diverse gameplan, try to new stuff early, and stay with it if it is working, but if we get down 3 scores, then go to plan B. I don't know.

The good: For us to have any shot at a good showing at Ohio State, we are going to have to get creative. We have to throw stuff at them they have never seen on film for us. The extra week can help prepare for that. I'm glad we aren't playing OSU this week since they are coming off a loss and will undoubtedly take it out on Army this week.

Also OSU seems to struggle against the pass. Has given up the most passing yards to FBS in the country. Army won't help them get better that is a positive.

The negative of course that this is really early to have a bye. We don't need the rest to get guys healthy nearly as much as we would later in the season. Also I feel like we have some momentum after the win this weekend, and would like to see that roll over to another game this week.

And to be honest, and Monte won't like this, but how much will that bye week help against OSU really? It may be a smart idea by going in there with a vanilla plan, try to use as much clock as possible, and try to get out of there as healthy as possible with a paycheck in hand.

I guess the best plan is to go in there with a diverse gameplan, try to new stuff early, and stay with it if it is working, but if we get down 3 scores, then go to plan B. I don't know.
It's a cash game where you hope you show fairly well but the key is staying healthy. I'd rather have the bye after this game.

You never want to throw up a white flag, it's a bad example to set. But I think playing it safe is probably the wisest move. Be vanilla, try to play the time of possession game, eat clock.... just get out of there with an L, cash and no injuries. That's the most important thing.

I agree that the important thing is to leave Columbus with check in hand and no injuries. In a more perfect world, the bye would be the week after OSU but this world is a tad less than perfect.

For me, I get a three week bye in the sense that the next "big" game is SJSU. The win against the Vandals extended the football season for me by keeping hopes alive for those extra three weeks at least.

Yeah, I hate that the bye is this week. I'd rather get paid and then have an extra week to prepare for the games that actually count and which we can win.

Keep the machine rolling...

No, it's a horrible bye week. Yeah, sure, I guess it's nice to have BYU coming back to SBS and putting actual butts in the seats for one game this year. BUT, if you're going to book a non-conference game late in November you need to have a plan for the early season. This is 100% the AD's (TKM) fault. The MWC always works to accommodate non traditional out of conference dates (i.e. Air Force, Boise, Hawaii). Hell, Boise and New Mexico are playing a conference game 2 days from now so that they can play big games (BYU and Texas A&M) later in the season. Fresno and SJSU play next weekend so that they can both play BYU late season.

Now we're expecting a team with limited depth to play 10 weeks straight (starting off with an ass kicking in Columbus) and get better as the season goes on. UNLV just needs to get out of there injury free with that confidence from the Idaho win still in tact. September 30th at home vs San Jose is all I'm thinking about right now.

I say they put in a wing-T type of offensive set for the OSU game. They wouldn't be prepared for it at all, and once we run that a few times, maybe it would open up the back end of the defense to try for a couple of deep passes.

Really a tough call. I hate to play not to win. It is just not the way I am wired. I am, however, glad I am not coach. And every Rebel should also be glad! LOL!!!! I do see some opportunity against OSU. We should be able to pass with protection. If the run game can keep them honest it could get interesting. I think they will not take us seriously...We will see.

I say they put in a wing-T type of offensive set for the OSU game. They wouldn't be prepared for it at all, and once we run that a few times, maybe it would open up the back end of the defense to try for a couple of deep passes.

Are you thinking of the pistol set for the wing T. I am not sure about the wing t. But I really like the idea of a new look

Last edited:
I really hope coaching was looking ahead to this game in the spring and preseason and installed some major new looks. That would impress me big time.

OSU's weakness on D is their secondary. We have some talent at wideout. We don't have to go all air raid, but the pass should be a big part of the gameplan. That is, if we are going for the win.

If going for health (not the win) then run, run, and run some more. Just don't run Lex too much.

OSU's weakness on D is their secondary. We have some talent at wideout. We don't have to go all air raid, but the pass should be a big part of the gameplan. That is, if we are going for the win.

If going for health (not the win) then run, run, and run some more. Just don't run Lex too much.

Agreed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT