ADVERTISEMENT

This Team is Becoming Pretty Detestable

RebelBuzz

Retired Number
Jan 13, 2015
Last year, you could almost never question the team's preparation and readiness to play. Look no further than the fact that we would always choose to receive the ball to start the game, and would often march down for a score.

This year? Idaho. CSU. Now SJSU. We show up looking like we don't know how to play the game and look terrible. Inexcusable. I'm looking at you Sanchez, Cotton, and Baer. Gotta get things right.

Exactly. If we're gonna be terrible, let's be terrible. But to have games like CSU and SJSU where you decide to play for only 30 minutes on both sides of the ball.... Unacceptable.

What kills me is that we show flashes of life. In both of those games, if we came out swinging ready to tumble, like we did at the half, then we win. We aren't losing because we are talent inferior. We have shown that we have pieces no both sides. This first half team fizzle/ second half play hard enough to give us hope is the source of my blood pressure problems

Coach Sanchez talked about how this team never quits in his post game interview. The problem is that the team doesn't get started for 30 minutes. That's on coaches.

The play calling by both coordinators is crap. Why does Coach Baer wait until UNLV is torched before he will dial up pressure? Cotton has the most bland, predictable, old-fashioned offense I've seen. Open up the play books and give the players a chance to make plays. There's no urgency until UNLV is down by 30. Pretty lame.

SJSU gave us a free lesson tonight of how to get your best player the ball. They moved #2 all over the field to get him open and into space. Boyd... line him up on the outside and see what happens.

Last year, you could almost never question the team's preparation and readiness to play. Look no further than the fact that we would always choose to receive the ball to start the game, and would often march down for a score.

This year? Idaho. CSU. Now SJSU. We show up looking like we don't know how to play the game and look terrible. Inexcusable. I'm looking at you Sanchez, Cotton, and Baer. Gotta get things right.
It's the difference between having expectations and not. Even if they win more games than last season, it's not a good team even though we hoped/thought we could get to 6 wins. I dunno. With the current quality of the two most important sports, UNLV is in a bad, bad spot historically.

Reactions: rorebel24
Time to evaluate the defense coordinator and offensive coordinator. Last 2 games have been crap. If the trend continues time to move into different direction. UNLV looked pathetic the first half. The SJSU crowd showed more emotion than UNLV did the first half

Reactions: HONESTDISAGREEMENT
I think the team has talent but they aren't cohesive. They aren't playing like they are playing for coaches that they have respect for .
One of my sons played high school football for a coach that he respected so much -I remember his saying he wanted to win more for his line coach- he said he would play hurt to win a game for him.

Reactions: Catmstr
I really didn't think we would win as I mentioned in the prediction thread. I agree with a lot that has been mentioned above however I'm not completely crushed we have been limited by our QB position it has been just awful and I don't want to beat a dead horse.
It could be wait till next year with A. Rodgers unfortunately a quality qb is a must in todays game.

So frustrating last night. Sanchez needs to think about getting rid of Cotton and Baer; they have not moved the needle on either side of the ball although we have better recruits than in the recent past. I'm still steaming from that display last night!!

So what you're saying is this team is doing what the last 30 or so Rebel teams have done?

The truth is we stand no chance to compete until the stadium and football facility is built. Zero chance. So we just need to have a ton of patience and let this all come together.

Effort the last 2 weeks in the first halves is inexcusable. I agree that Baer and Cotton have had those moment of head scratching calls. We are in year 2 of Sanchez. Strides have been made in the right direction off the field and around the program with Facility announcements, Uniforms, Field Designs, better training table food etc.

On the field the team is in flux. You can see talent in some of the younger players but most of the Recruits we are talking about are RS Freshman, True Freshman or True Sophomores. Lots of growing up to do this spring. Recruiting some immediate impact JUCO players on Defense will be a must to go along with all the young guys returning. A decimated WR corps didn't help any of our QB's develop and neither has the up and down play of the O Line the last few weeks.

The defense only gave a up a Field Goal in the 2nd half but where was this effort in the first half. Frustrating to say the least. I am sure a lot of evaluation will be done in the much needed by week. Hopefully some of the younger guys in the 2 deep get heavy reps and see more game action as they could possibly start looking at preparing for next season. Right now major focus is on keeping the Cannon Red.

Effort the last 2 weeks in the first halves is inexcusable. I agree that Baer and Cotton have had those moment of head scratching calls. We are in year 2 of Sanchez. Strides have been made in the right direction off the field and around the program with Facility announcements, Uniforms, Field Designs, better training table food etc.

On the field the team is in flux. You can see talent in some of the younger players but most of the Recruits we are talking about are RS Freshman, True Freshman or True Sophomores. Lots of growing up to do this spring. Recruiting some immediate impact JUCO players on Defense will be a must to go along with all the young guys returning. A decimated WR corps didn't help any of our QB's develop and neither has the up and down play of the O Line the last few weeks.

The defense only gave a up a Field Goal in the 2nd half but where was this effort in the first half. Frustrating to say the least. I am sure a lot of evaluation will be done in the much needed by week. Hopefully some of the younger guys in the 2 deep get heavy reps and see more game action as they could possibly start looking at preparing for next season. Right now major focus is on keeping the Cannon Red.
You can make all of the excuses you want. The reality is that our quarterbacks suck. They have the third worst completion percentage in the FBS.

Not excuses. Sneed was projected to be 3rd on the depth chart and was forced into action due to 2 injuries. Palandech is what he is, can make plays with his feet but if option one is covered he mostly struggles, especially if first down doesnt go well. For all his physical attributes Stanton Struggled with accuracy after a solid start in the opener. Add onto that losing half of the WRs we were depending on just before or during the first 4 weeks. As they try to build for the future True Fr Caldwell and Polu are getting tons of reps with True Soph Jacobson on the O line. Offense is very young in some spots and when injuries hit it forced guys into action who frankly werent ready yet for extended roles.

Rogers , as I have been told by some close to the program, is very talented. Now being talented and making all the correct reads in a game are 2 different things. That will be the biggest battle to watch in the spring. Can Stanton develop further or does Rogers wow everyone and take hold of the job as RS Fr heading into next year.

Reactions: ricovegas
And next year, 7 senior starters graduate from this defense. Year 3 doesn't look much better.

Name the senior starters you would love to have back? Not trying to bash those leaving but outside of Tau who will be sorely missed?

Reactions: mwsn7022012
Not bagging on Sanchez but if you look at Jimbo Fisher and his coaching staff lastnight @ Florida State they look like each of them are coaching for their lives. I see Cotton walking around and Baer in shock. It takes on the non killer mentality of the team. What happen to that fire in Hawaii? I had the same problem with Rice. Show some emotion fire up the team. That was the weakest SJS team in a long time.

We used to have the hype of the upcoming basketball season to help clear out our disappointment of the football season but we do not have that either now.

We used to have the hype of the upcoming basketball season to help clear out our disappointment of the football season but we do not have that either now.
I think you are onto something.

An exciting football season, which rarely happens, tends to take some pressure off of basketball. And if basketball is doing well, even with recruiting, people just shake their heads and laugh off football and accept the status quo (well, that's just UNLV football). But now, even with less hope for basketball, at least temporarily, some attention to a supposedly improving football program is coming from the fans. Oh, in spite of some absolutely garbage games (or halves), I do think the program is improving. Gotta lose some weight and regain new weight. But that doesn't make swallowing the lack of pride and effort any easier because that is something that's not based on talent, not based on schemes or play calling. Should always have that regardless of your lot in life.

With neither thing happening, it's an ugly look for the athletic department. A lot of apathy from years of not doing well and just generally screwing up and it all stems from the relative insignificance of the major programs at this point in time. What is football, probably #85 (of 120 or whatever it is)? And basketball, sub 150 of 320 or so programs? Everything is screaming mediocrity right now and mediocre is a liberal statement.

You guys can make all the excuses you want about Sneed's play but this guy Stanton , the supposed BMOC, was also pretty shitty. If/when he comes back, I'm pretty sure nothing changes.

What's scary to me is, I don't see the material for a much better team next year. Not unless some very mediocre players turn into all MWC types next season.

What's scary to me is, I don't see the material for a much better team next year. Not unless some very mediocre players turn into all MWC types next season.
I don't think you can feasibly make an argument that the offense won't be better. Literally can't think of a scenario in which offense isn't MUCH better, given youth and injuries this season. The defense though... that's scary. We lose our the guys who I'd consider to be our two most important defensive guys in McAleenan and Lotuleilei (who I think is a better player than his brother). Also Kenny Keys is, to me, the MVP of our secondary. Also DL Valoaga and Baldwin.

Gonna be tough to imagine exactly what the defense looks like next year.

Random thoughts / piling on....

I, too, have taken a bead on the coordinators. Their lack of fire/urgency seems to have infected their sides. Cotton calls plays like he still has Nebraska personnel. Some of it may work in another year or two, but not now (save for the odd big play). I was totally surprised that one of those passes out to the flat didn't turn into a pick 6 for SJSU. They weren't set up well enough and the throws were too weak. Baer takes too long to figure the other team out, if at all. The defense seems to take on that confusion and plays tentative. In fact, the whole team plays like they're thinking too much and not just letting 'er rip.

Randy Cross, the CBS analyst, mentioned that he thought Kreitler was one of the best centers in the country, which was nice. He also quipped, when they returned from a break to a shot of the Rebel cheerleaders all together and rolling their pom-pons, "At least they're in sync. Can't really say that for their offense." Ouch! The PbP guy, whose name escapes me, chimed in with his own comment about the offense, "It's not like they've been hit hard by injuries." Uh... excuse me? Only WR and QB. Homework, anyone?

Speaking of WR, I know Boyd has been getting all the accolades and can be brilliant, but IMHO he may have spent a little too much of the off-season and pre-season reading his own press clippings, and has spent too much time basking and not enough working. Maybe the staff has been "babying" him a little, too, rather than keeping him honest. Guys worthy of the hype will find ways to get open, and they will not drop balls like Devonte has. Four catches per game and 68 ypg are not All-anything numbers. Do you realize he's found the end zone all of once since Jackson St.? I realize the QB and WR situations have played into it, but that can explain only so much. He needs to turn it up and turn it around next year.

Thinking of next year, do we give Cotton and Baer through next season to get it together with more New Era recruits in the mix, or replace them after this season (like it's our decision!)?

I, too, have taken a bead on the coordinators. Their lack of fire/urgency seems to have infected their sides. Cotton calls plays like he still has Nebraska personnel. Some of it may work in another year or two, but not now (save for the odd big play). I was totally surprised that one of those passes out to the flat didn't turn into a pick 6 for SJSU. They weren't set up well enough and the throws were too weak. Baer takes too long to figure the other team out, if at all. The defense seems to take on that confusion and plays tentative. In fact, the whole team plays like they're thinking too much and not just letting 'er rip.

Randy Cross, the CBS analyst, mentioned that he thought Kreitler was one of the best centers in the country, which was nice. He also quipped, when they returned from a break to a shot of the Rebel cheerleaders all together and rolling their pom-pons, "At least they're in sync. Can't really say that for their offense." Ouch! The PbP guy, whose name escapes me, chimed in with his own comment about the offense, "It's not like they've been hit hard by injuries." Uh... excuse me? Only WR and QB. Homework, anyone?

Speaking of WR, I know Boyd has been getting all the accolades and can be brilliant, but IMHO he may have spent a little too much of the off-season and pre-season reading his own press clippings, and has spent too much time basking and not enough working. Maybe the staff has been "babying" him a little, too, rather than keeping him honest. Guys worthy of the hype will find ways to get open, and they will not drop balls like Devonte has. Four catches per game and 68 ypg are not All-anything numbers. Do you realize he's found the end zone all of once since Jackson St.? I realize the QB and WR situations have played into it, but that can explain only so much. He needs to turn it up and turn it around next year.

Thinking of next year, do we give Cotton and Baer through next season to get it together with more New Era recruits in the mix, or replace them after this season (like it's our decision!)?
QB play has been absolutely AWFUL, but Boyd is the "worst" best receiver UNLV has had in quite some time. He hasn't had any fire or will and his hands have been iffy at times. If one of our bad QB's hit you in the hands with a pass, better hold onto it, that one play may potentially be 20 percent of the offensive output.

What bothered me on defense was the lack of designed pressure in the first half. That's on Coach Baer's play calling.

Baer's defensive philosophy may have worked long ago but in today's game creating disruption is the key. You have to attack and dictate. But Coach Baer sticks with traditional sets run over and over while UNLV gets lit up.

Idaho, CSU, SJSU, among other opponents, each piled up yards against UNLV's traditional coverage approach.

I realize UNLV's talent on defense is lacking, but so is the talent level of those schools who are thrashing us. Why does it take Baer watching his defense get obliterated for 30 points in a half until he finally changes strategy and finally becomes WAY more aggressive in the second half with his play calling. His play calling was night and day from the first half. Same against CSU.

Coach Baer needs to completely shift his entire defensive philosophy or else he'll never stop teams from scoring.

I feel like Coach Sanchez had to hire the Barney Cotton and Kent Baer type of coordinators when he was hired straight outta BG. With no D1 experience, it was a beautiful thing to say, "I may not have college experience, but look at my staff..." with Baer and Cotton being well-traveled through respected programs and conferences.

Now that Coach Sanchez is a college head football coach with 2 years of experience (almost) I think he needs to go out and hire 2 coordinators who may not have the resume of Cotton/Baer, but have shown an ability to get the most out of less-than-elite talent, along with showing some creativity on both sides of the ball.

And when I say "creativity" I'm not talking about trick plays and end-arounds and all that stuff (not that those plays don't have their place...) but I want coordinators who can be creative to get guys open, get the ball in the hands of talent, and take some shots. Idaho (Cink) found a weakness (deep ball) and exploited it time after time. CSU used pre-snap motion to get guys into space in the first half. SDSU finds ways to get Pumphrey the ball in myriad ways instead of just pounding him play after play. SJSU moved their WR #2 all over the field to get him open. Outside of the HI game, I see very little of this... Seems more like "We're gonna pound it down your throat..." which has not been working.

Stanton overall has been the best passer. Even during his "good" games, Sneed has not been all that great throwing the ball. He has a weird and slow release, and when all of our throws tend to big quick passes, that is a recipe for disaster.

Stanton struggled with his touch with those throws, but at least he can get the ball out quick. Seems to be an easier fix to me.

Also the WRs have done zero favors. After Boyd everyone is 4th on the depth chart or lower, but Boyd has missed on balled he should have caught.

I feel like Coach Sanchez had to hire the Barney Cotton and Kent Baer type of coordinators when he was hired straight outta BG. With no D1 experience, it was a beautiful thing to say, "I may not have college experience, but look at my staff..." with Baer and Cotton being well-traveled through respected programs and conferences.

Now that Coach Sanchez is a college head football coach with 2 years of experience (almost) I think he needs to go out and hire 2 coordinators who may not have the resume of Cotton/Baer, but have shown an ability to get the most out of less-than-elite talent, along with showing some creativity on both sides of the ball.

And when I say "creativity" I'm not talking about trick plays and end-arounds and all that stuff (not that those plays don't have their place...) but I want coordinators who can be creative to get guys open, get the ball in the hands of talent, and take some shots. Idaho (Cink) found a weakness (deep ball) and exploited it time after time. CSU used pre-snap motion to get guys into space in the first half. SDSU finds ways to get Pumphrey the ball in myriad ways instead of just pounding him play after play. SJSU moved their WR #2 all over the field to get him open. Outside of the HI game, I see very little of this... Seems more like "We're gonna pound it down your throat..." which has not been working.

I agree, new blood at the coordinators after the season. I also agree with your point about the next OC/DC "getting the most" out of existing talent. That is a skill set that is definitely needed going forward. Player development, year after year, is critical at schools like UNLV.

Personally, I would love to see Coach Cink back at UNLV, as the offensive coordinator!

There were times when I thought the team has quit on Sanchez, only to redeem themselves somewhat during the game. At this point, I just have to throw up my hands and continue to support the kids. Going forward, I see Reno as the only winnable game. So, please win that game and we can point to the only stat that matters (wins) and say that this team has improved (they haven't), plus finish the season on a high note in keeping the Cannon. I really don't want 3-9 to be the new 2-10.

An innovative DC would be great. When Mike Zimmer took over as HC of the Minnesota Vikings three years ago, his influence on the defensive side moved them in one year from near the bottom in every meaningful defensive stat to mid-level with, virtually, the same personnel. Now, with a couple years to bring in his kinda guys at key spots, they're one of the best defenses in the league. Key is he didn't run the same old tired stuff. Give the kids something fresh that they think will work, that they can get behind, and I think we'll see a huge turnaround.

Also, I like the idea of bringing Cink back home.

The losses on defense are scary. Judging on how many points they presently give up, 35 to 38 ppg next year is a distinct possibility. Hard to tell your offense they've got to score 40 to win

Every quarterback the Rebels play has a career game against the D.
Its obvious the defensive front can't put pressure on the Quarterback.
You just can't let every quarterback stand in the pocket and pick you apart every game.
Maybe an occasional corner blitz or stunt up front to the quarterback off his spot.
The second half of the SJS game was good.

Bring in Polasek and Entz , the offensive/defensive coordinators at North Dakota State. For that matter, any of the top coordinators from the top 4 fcs teams (Jacksonville State, North Dakota State, Sam Houston or Eastern Washington) I want a coach who is hungry, imaginative and aggressive. I don't want a coach who has had past glory.

Sneed's long release something that bull, pete, and myself noted when he was in his redshirt year. He telegraphs that he is going to throw with that long drawn out throw form. Palandech has the opposite problem. I suspect that Palandech used to play baseball. I feel like he is gripping the ball too hard when he throws, and it puts thet funky spin on the ball. Stanton has a cannon. Even in spring and fall, he constantly over threw the ball. I think he's at the point where his arm strength is equal to Matt Stafford. Stanton can probably easily sling out a 65 yard hail mary. Rogers looked promising. But thats about all I can say. He took limited reps in the fall practices.

Our offensive line looks really good for such a young line. Remember, we a year removed from having a bad O line. We have some speed at rb. Give Boyd a true #2 receiver, with a qb that can get the ball where it needs to go, and we don't lose the games we are supposed to win.

We'll be fine in the long run. No reason to go fairweather now. Its been a decade of even worse football. It's a process.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT