ADVERTISEMENT

There is a lot of power in words.

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
I was watching the RebZone and something stood out to me that coach Sanchez said. It was a choice of words he used. It might seem miniscule and unimportant to some, but I have always felt there is a lot of power in words/language. He used one word that I think shows a true attempt to change the culture at UNLV.

While the team was celebrating he said 'now we focus on the bigger ENEMY, Reno.' He could have said opponent, or game or the team up north or Nevada. But he chose the word ENEMY to emphasize the importance of this game.

It may seem insignificant to some but I think it was calculated on his part. I really think he was stoking the coals to make this rivalry even bigger.

Personally I love it. Hauck did the whole 'team up north' bit to belittle Reno. Sanchez wants this rivalry to consume this team. Enemy. I like it.

I have always felt the rivalry meant more to their fan base than it did to ours. Hopefully that starts to change.

I can't see Sanchez letting up this game. Even if the offensive play calling gets lighter, I don't see us giving them an inch. No mercy. Looking at last year when they had that cheap shot that almost ended Boyko's chances at the NFL when they had already won the game makes me livid. This is the only game I would advocate running the score up for the sheer purpose of this being a hate game.

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
I was watching the RebZone and something stood out to me that coach Sanchez said. It was a choice of words he used. It might seem miniscule and unimportant to some, but I have always felt there is a lot of power in words/language. He used one word that I think shows a true attempt to change the culture at UNLV.

While the team was celebrating he said 'now we focus on the bigger ENEMY, Reno.' He could have said opponent, or game or the team up north or Nevada. But he chose the word ENEMY to emphasize the importance of this game.

It may seem insignificant to some but I think it was calculated on his part. I really think he was stoking the coals to make this rivalry even bigger.

Personally I love it. Hauck did the whole 'team up north' bit to belittle Reno. Sanchez wants this rivalry to consume this team. Enemy. I like it.

I have always felt the rivalry meant more to their fan base than it did to ours. Hopefully that starts to change.
I agree with your thought. Sanchez takes every opportunity to motivate his team and if calling unr the enemy strikes the right cord, he is brilliant! One thing that I do know is that the team will be fired up and ready to attack. They will play hard to the final down and we will win.

Reactions: GoRebs!

When I listened to his locker room speech I heard "bitter enemy" . . . which is even better!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT