ADVERTISEMENT

The 'Fab Five' was better than this?

Mickey Mouse can beat up Superman -

If those teams played heads up back in the day they would probably split the games - When they were all freshman the fab 5 team was good but a lot of hype _ We would've beat their ass that year - They grew up & got to some final fours (but had to vacate them due to violations).

I was talking to a player on IMG national bball team last year - I mentioned Fab 5 - and his eyes went blank in a distant stare --....He had never heard of the fab 5 and he actually played with Jowan Howards son (Jett) the year before. He had never even heard of UNLV either - Top 100 recruit

We are stuck in time capsule from the past - it really sucks this is all we have to talk about

Last edited:
Mickey Mouse can beat up Superman -

If those teams played heads up back in the day they would probably split the games - When they were all freshman the fab 5 team was good but a lot of hype _ We would've beat their ass that year - They grew up & got to some final fours (but had to vacate them due to violations).

I was talking to a player on IMG national bball team last year - I mentioned Fab 5 - and his eyes went blank in a distant stare --....He had never heard of the fab 5 and he actually played with Jowan Howards son (Jett) the year before. He had never even heard of UNLV either - Top 100 recruit

We are stuck in time capsule from the past - it really sucks this is all we have to talk about
Yeah yeah yeah, but we still would've beat them. LJ and CWebb cancel each other out. Same with Stacey vs Rose and Butler vs Howard. King and Jackson are bigger than Anthony and Hunt but our defense is better and Hunt is a bigger offensive threat than either of their guards. It would've been a war, no doubt but time and time again our endurance and pressure would run them down like we did Arkansas. Butler and Scurry would be running around all hyped up and yelling late in the 2nd half while CWebb would be on the bench on O2.

Amazing Augmon was averaging only 12ppg (whatever point in time that was). He was so dominant and easily could have doubled that average but he was such a team player and focused so much on defense. Of course lots of other scoring options as well. Still my all-time favorite Rebel.

Yeah yeah yeah, but we still would've beat them. LJ and CWebb cancel each other out. Same with Stacey vs Rose and Butler vs Howard. King and Jackson are bigger than Anthony and Hunt but our defense is better and Hunt is a bigger offensive threat than either of their guards. It would've been a war, no doubt but time and time again our endurance and pressure would run them down like we did Arkansas. Butler and Scurry would be running around all hyped up and yelling late in the 2nd half while CWebb would be on the bench on O2.
You forgot the differences between the coaches.

Howard would have owned Butler but that would not matter as The Rebs win going away.

Howard would have owned Butler but that would not matter as The Rebs win going away.
Howard was better all around, for sure. But we didn’t depend on Butler for heavy scoring output. He was a good defender and rebounded well enough and he could always give you a handful of points. I don’t know that Howard would have dominated him, may have bested him but I don’t see Howard going for 20 and 13 and Butler going for 6 and 5. It’d have been much tighter.

I think UNLV had more team toughness across the board. I’m not taking anything away from Michigan but it’s similar to the Lebron vs MJ GOAT conversations. MJ was complete, talent and mind. He’s GOAT hands down and I hated his ass and can admit it. I don’t like Lebron but don’t hate him, I really hated MJ but for GOAT, even I can admit it being a hater.

Amazing Augmon was averaging only 12ppg (whatever point in time that was). He was so dominant and easily could have doubled that average but he was such a team player and focused so much on defense. Of course lots of other scoring options as well. Still my all-time favorite Rebel.
That picture was the 89-90 season at the start of the Arizona game broadcast against Sean Rooks, Brian Williams, Othick and Buechler.

Augmon averaged around 18 and 9 in 1991. LJ shot it at about 70% in 1991 as well. That’s nuts.

Moot point anyway which team is better. If was still at UNLV, there would not be a Fab 5

Edit: I meant if Coach Tark was still at UNLV

Last edited:
No denial here. We aren't even a fraction of what we used to be. It's terrible watching our players overall. DJ shows promise and is the best player on the court for us, but the rest of our players are backups AT BEST for a Top 25 squad.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
No denial here. We aren't even a fraction of what we used to be. It's terrible watching our players overall. DJ shows promise and is the best player on the court for us, but the rest of our players are backups AT BEST for a Top 25 squad.
I dunno know, this team has shown when it’s focused it can be competitive against top 25 teams. If we had a consistent outside threat it would free up Kaleb or punish the double team. Whaley would also have more room to maneuver. Not saying we’re a top 25 team but if either JJ or JWeb was shooting 40% this team would be really tough to defend and we’d likely have at least 2-3 more wins. Some of these guys are good enough to start on a top 25 team; but for inconsistent/poor shooting + subpar coaching we’re definitely not at that level with this team.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Did the Fab 5 win a natty? Did I miss something? No national title, there is nothing to debate IMO!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I dunno know, this team has shown when it’s focused it can be competitive against top 25 teams. If we had a consistent outside threat it would free up Kaleb or punish the double team. Whaley would also have more room to maneuver. Not saying we’re a top 25 team but if either JJ or JWeb was shooting 40% this team would be really tough to defend and we’d likely have at least 2-3 more wins. Some of these guys are good enough to start on a top 25 team; but for inconsistent/poor shooting + subpar coaching we’re definitely not at that level with this team.
Sorry but if, if, if…

JJ and Webster aren’t good shooters.

ONLY DJ is good enough to start for a top 25 team.

We don’t give consistent effort. That’s partially a coaching thing but it’s also a player thing. If I don’t try with my patients and financial clients they either let me know or I get fired. Both are the appropriate punishment in that case. Our players don’t always try. The result is that they lose.

Sorry but if, if, if…

JJ and Webster aren’t good shooters.

ONLY DJ is good enough to start for a top 25 team.

We don’t give consistent effort. That’s partially a coaching thing but it’s also a player thing. If I don’t try with my patients and financial clients they either let me know or I get fired. Both are the appropriate punishment in that case. Our players don’t always try. The result is that they lose.
Couldn’t agree more on this!

Kalib comes to mind here!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT