ADVERTISEMENT

Thank god this nightmare is over....

RebelSoldat

Retired Number
Nov 17, 2012
Virginia
Will be interesting to see what happens over the summer. Menzies shouldn't be here next year, but will probably stick around so we can continue to see how horrendous of a coach he is.

Reactions: packblue
It has very little to do with Menzies. he was stuck without anytime to recruit and ended up with a bunch of players that gave up mid season. I look at his overall career and not what he got stuck with this season. If they team doesn't get much better next years, I will rethink my opinion.

Reactions: 76Rebel Man
Mercifully it is over, these guys would have had nothing left for tomorrow if they had won. Saves me $33.

These message boards might actually pick up in traffic with the season being over. I already renewed my season tix - and my hope in UNLV basketball.

Also, for first time ever, bought football season tix! Cant wait!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Is it just me or does anyone else get frustrated when we are receiving full court pressing and not returning it to the other team? Were these guys just too burnt out? I remember Kruger giving the full court press even when we were winning, always liked that.

Thats funny. Already calling for Menzies job. Wow your just awesome aren't you.

I do think calling for his job at this point is funny

1) He didn't even have one recruiting season and was stuck with leftovers.
2) Who else would come to UNLV at the point?
3) UNLV is already $4 million in the hole, where would the buyout funds come from when almost nobody even is going to games?
4) UNLV can only go up from here so why not see what he can do with an entire year of recruiting and coaching

Thats funny. Already calling for Menzies job. Wow your just awesome aren't you.
Leave him be. I had to learn to ignore the troll the last time he spouted his ignorance on this subject.

No one aside from this loser is offering anything but support for Coach Menzies. The news from the recruiting trails sound pretty good. It is only reasonable to wait for a couple of seasons before we can begin to evaluate his results. If it were to happen sooner, that would be fabulous, but if not, we’ll have to wait and see. We'll never make any progress if we don't have continuity. Changing coaches and/or players every year is a recipe for failure.

Personally, I have great faith that MM will lead us back to basketball prominence. I hope the Mountain West enjoyed beating-up on the Rebels this past season. I doubt they’ll be as happy to see us in the years to come. We’ll see if UNR has any ticker-tape parades waiting in the future. They acted like beating our JV-team was winning the Super Bowl. Screw them!

Anyway, I suggest that no response is the best response to this person. It's obvious that he's either looking to provoke a response, or in the alternative, he's just a fool. Actually, come to think of it, fool would apply to either explanation...
homer-thinking.gif
knucklehead.gif

Go Rebels!

Is it just me or does anyone else get frustrated when we are receiving full court pressing and not returning it to the other team? Were these guys just too burnt out? I remember Kruger giving the full court press even when we were winning, always liked that.

What games were you watching? Kruger did not know anything but man to man. He could mix his defenses up if his life depended on it.

Reactions: RebelScrub
What games were you watching? Kruger did not know anything but man to man. He couldn't mix his defenses up if his life depended on it.

I think I fixed your message. And despite his successes, you are 100% correct on this front. But if you can win with a one-dimensional strategy, so be it. That brings me to a similar topic of one-dimensionalism...

I thought I wouldn't be able to say anything that worries me about Menzies because its a little early in his tenure and this team was cobbled together with duct tape, chewing gum and a paper clip, BUT there is one tiny little thing that worries me.

He doesn't play a full bench. He plays 7 guys. I know you can win like that, but I think more teams win more often by playing more guys. Short benches get winded, so we better be a great first half team and be up by 30 at the half every game.

We didn't have a solid starting five and you want us to go 8,9 deep?

Hopefully in subsequent seasons he finds the depth that he wants and needs. I agree that playing 7 isn't ideal but I think he was cutting his losses as much as he could by doing so. I may be completely wrong, though. I don't have a feel for him yet as a HC.

Reactions: dcut03
My comments and reason for pause don't have anything that happened in the course of this year, it has to do with comments he has made in post game interviews. He simply said that's the way he runs a team.

And I'm not judging him, I'm just saying thats the first thing he's said that indicates something about his coaching style that I don't like.

He doesn't play a full bench. He plays 7 guys. I know you can win like that, but I think more teams win more often by playing more guys. Short benches get winded, so we better be a great first half team and be up by 30 at the half every game.

I didn’t hear his interview, but if we examine his history at New Mexico State, it shows a willingness to go deeper into his bench. I assume he adjusts his philosophy to suit his players. As a good coach should do…

Here are his player/minutes per game, for his last three seasons at NMSU:
15/16 23-11 ][ 14 /15 23-11 ][ 13/14 26-10]
-------------------- ----------------- ------------------
SIAKAM 34.6 ][ BARRY 32.2 ][ MULLINGS 33.5]
BAKER 32.8 ][ SIAKAM 30.8 ][ ELDRIDGE 27.6]
PENNIE 27.0 ][ MULLINGS 29.0 ][ NEPHAWE 27.9]
WILKINS 22.6 ][ BAKER 29.1 ][ BHULER 26.3]
HUGGINS 14.3 ][ NEPHAWE 26.5 ][ DIXON 24.8]
BHULER 18.2 ][ ELDRIDGE 27.6 ][ MILLER 27.3]
TAYLOR 25.7 ][ WILKINS 17.3 ][ ARONIS 19.5]
NDIR 10.9 ][ LANDRY 11.9 ][ BARRY 12.6]
BROWNE 12.0 ][ PENNIE 9.1 ][ BAKER 14.3]
CHUHA 7.4 ][ TAYLOR 8.5 ][ LANDRY 10.9]
ESPARZA 6.6 ][ HUGGINS 8.0 ][ BUOVAC 7.4]
CAMPO 4.0 ][ BHULER 4.3 ]
GIVENS 3.0 ]
=================================================
It looks to me like, given a deeper roster, Coach Menzies is perfectly willing to use his personnel in a liberal fashion.

Trying to gauge MM's coaching style, based on this most unusual season, seems unfair. Let's see what he can do with a team of his own choosing.

rubbing-hands-in-excitement-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Roger that BC. And good digging Tark.

I like a team that's deep. That's less risk to the injury bug. But hey - if Coach Menzies can win with 4 players, so be it! Just win, baby!

Reactions: Don-F and bcvegaspt
sandracer250 said: ↑
"What games were you watching? Kruger did not know anything but man to man. He couldn't mix his defenses up if his life depended on it."

MonsterJam said:
"I think I fixed your message. And despite his successes, you are 100% correct on this front. But if you can win with a one-dimensional strategy, so be it. That brings me to a similar topic of one-dimensionalism..."

Thanks Monster..forgot those key couple of letters.

I didn’t hear his interview, but if we examine his history at New Mexico State, it shows a willingness to go deeper into his bench. I assume he adjusts his philosophy to suit his players. As a good coach should do…

Here are his player/minutes per game, for his last three seasons at NMSU:
15/16 23-11 ][ 14 /15 23-11 ][ 13/14 26-10]
-------------------- ----------------- ------------------
SIAKAM 34.6 ][ BARRY 32.2 ][ MULLINGS 33.5]
BAKER 32.8 ][ SIAKAM 30.8 ][ ELDRIDGE 27.6]
PENNIE 27.0 ][ MULLINGS 29.0 ][ NEPHAWE 27.9]
WILKINS 22.6 ][ BAKER 29.1 ][ BHULER 26.3]
HUGGINS 14.3 ][ NEPHAWE 26.5 ][ DIXON 24.8]
BHULER 18.2 ][ ELDRIDGE 27.6 ][ MILLER 27.3]
TAYLOR 25.7 ][ WILKINS 17.3 ][ ARONIS 19.5]
NDIR 10.9 ][ LANDRY 11.9 ][ BARRY 12.6]
BROWNE 12.0 ][ PENNIE 9.1 ][ BAKER 14.3]
CHUHA 7.4 ][ TAYLOR 8.5 ][ LANDRY 10.9]
ESPARZA 6.6 ][ HUGGINS 8.0 ][ BUOVAC 7.4]
CAMPO 4.0 ][ BHULER 4.3 ]
GIVENS 3.0 ]
=================================================
It looks to me like, given a deeper roster, Coach Menzies is perfectly willing to use his personnel in a liberal fashion.

Trying to gauge MM's coaching style, based on this most unusual season, seems unfair. Let's see what he can do with a team of his own choosing.

rubbing-hands-in-excitement-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Hello, an NMSU Aggie fan here. If Rebel fans are patient, Menzies will produce a team capable of winning the MWC within 3-4 years. I don't think he will bring in many 5-star (one-n-done) recruits like Rice but he will bring in the type of kids he can build a winning program around. His rotation depends on his talent. But typically he cuts down his rotation to 7 to 9 players by tournament time.

For Rebel fans sake, I hope Menzies reverts back to his earlier style of coaching when he ran a more uptempo offense. It was more pleasing on the eyes. But early on, Menzies was bringing some really good talent in a more prestigious WAC. In his latter years at NMSU, Menzies' offense was a slower more deliberate style focused on feeding the post. It work in the WAC because NMSU was playing a lot of light weights after Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State, Utah State, Hawaii, and Louisiana Tech left the conference.

You will find, Menzies likes a lot of size on his roster. His offense is somewhat generic but it is like Alabama football. You know what is coming, he just dares you to stop it. Menzies tends to have the most talent on the court so it is hard to stop. If Menzies can leverage UNLV's brand name, he should bring in a lot more talent than he brought to NMSU.

Menzies is a "players coach" but he needs coachable players. Good students, good young men. He is a little bit of a Father Flanagan so he struggles with kids who are difficult off the court. He wants to believe in the best of each of his players but sometimes one can be more trouble than he is worth to the program. But ultimately that is his appeal to most potential prospects. He is genuinely a nice guy.

Last edited:
Thanks! I think most of us can see that he has the ability to coach and rebuild the UNLV name, he just got stuck this year with the perfect storm!

Menzies is a "players coach" but he needs coachable players. Good students, good young men. He is a little bit of a Father Flanagan so he struggles with kids who are difficult off the court. He wants to believe in the best of each of his players but sometimes one can be more trouble than he is worth to the program. But ultimately that is his appeal to most potential prospects. He is genuinely a nice guy.
Speaking of MM’s “Father Flanagan” persona, I saw something on the MWC board about Anthony Smith being kicked-off his Juco team and the issue being serious enough to put his likelihood of attending UNLV in jeopardy.

Additionally, according to this source, Louis Bangai, a 6'10" center from St Paul High School, in Santa Fe Springs, Ca, considered an alternate option, should we fail to land Brandon McCoy, had given a silent commit to the Rebels. But he may be experiencing eligibility issues.

Anyone know any details about these reports. Is it just a guy on a message board, or are they true?
confused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Last edited:
Speaking of MM’s “Father Flanagan” persona, I saw something on the MWC board about Anthony Smith being kicked-off his Juco team and the issue being serious enough to put his likelihood of attending UNLV in jeopardy.
I apologize for quoting and responding to my own message, it seems kind of creepy, but there appears to be an update to my question. The following message was posted on the “Inside the Rebels” website:

Public Apology to Anthony Smith

JEFFREY WADDILOVE

03/08/2017

Public Apology to Anthony Smith

Dear Anthony,

As a journalist we rely heavily on our sources. That's all we have in this game and we put our implicit trust in those that have helped us get to where we are. In reporting that you had been dismissed from Feather River, it was not only the wrong information, but it was irresponsible of me to have printed it as fact. I accept the blame of those actions one-hundred percent and I extend a sincere and humble apology from Inside the Rebels, but more importantly myself. It wasn't my intention to slander you, but to get news out to a very faithful fanbase. One that is going to accept you with open arms when you arrive at UNLV this summer. I fully retract my previous statement and have amended the article in question.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Waddilove

So hopefully that issue has been resolved, for the better. Anything pertinent regarding Bangai would still be appreciated.
angel-praying-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!
http://www.scout.com/college/unlv/story/1761160-public-apology-to-anthony-smith

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT