ADVERTISEMENT

2023/2024 Team and Practice News and Notes

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
Since @MonsterJam asked, everyone has been very good and the staff has been a bit surprised with how well everyone is gelling.

Karl Jones has improved a lot and is actually developing some post moves. Expect 10 good minutes from him on a nightly basis. Anything more is a bonus.

They really like Hicks. He's come in and surprised lots of people with his ability to do a little bit of everything. Issue is he plays too fast on offense, but he's only a freshman so he will learn how to play with pace. They want to see how his jumper keeps developing. They also really like Whaley. Hes a competitor. I think he can really help us on the boards and when we need some energy.

JJJ has been very vocal. Will be a good backup. Isn't a shot chucker anymore.

LuRod and Nowell are much more aggressive offensively. LuRod took a huge step forward overall after playing in the Drew League a lot this summer. As of now, he will start over Nowell, but dont be surprised if Nowell overtakes him by the middle of the season. Want to see Nowell play with more urgency on the defensive end.

Webster has been working a lot on his float and midrange game. With DJ at the 1, Webster has a real shot at coming off the bench and averaging 12.

The twins are doing what is expected of them. Will probably end up as the #1 and #2 scorers.

Hill is the glue to the team. Has done a little bit of everything just like he did at OU and if he goes, we go. Will be the x factor every single game.

DJ will need to pack on some pounds. Nothing on Bannarbie and Cottrell.

This team has a chance to be real deep. Webster, Keylan, Kalib, Nowell, and Hill can be our leading scorer on any given night.

Thanks for the update as any news is better than nothing, but being here for many years I take these August updates as just fun. Seems like there are always a bunch of improved guys in August and by February they are trash….hope this year is different.

Thanks for the update as any news is better than nothing, but being here for many years I take these August updates as just fun. Seems like there are always a bunch of improved guys in August and by February they are trash….hope this year is different.
I can’t see this team being worse than last year’s. We have upgraded at the 1, 2, and 5 spots.

I agree and think we have a better team then we did last year but I also think we will not have as good as a record in our ooc schedule mainly due to the higher difficulty level. On the flip side I think we will have a better conference and overall record. Excited for this year and really hoping we finally make it back in the dance.

I agree I think this team has upgraded but I also have thought that other years or heard that other years and the team is able to proved it wrong by the end of January.

The Rebels need to not fold in OOC regardless of schedule and not completely run out of gas come January and February, this team has been put together better than it has last year or in the past and now coaching needs to pick up also, play 10-11 guys most of the season and run our opponents into the hardwood every night!

TY Lobby. Any insight on the coaching staff and how it’s approaching our new roster. I’m just as interested in seeing the staff take some steps forward as the players.

I agree I think this team has upgraded but I also have thought that other years or heard that other years and the team is able to proved it wrong by the end of January.
I'm so gunshy of making predictions before Feb at this point. I thought we were going to be like a pack of pitbulls last season and they were right up until conference play. Then for all of Jan and most of Feb we played like a 'feral' pack of golden retrievers goofing off and giving all our opponents sloppy kisses. They recovered a bit towards the end but the damage was done. The staff and team have to figure out how to maintain the intensity and not be so predictable when conference play starts.

TY Lobby. Any insight on the coaching staff and how it’s approaching our new roster. I’m just as interested in seeing the staff take some steps forward as the players.
CKK is definitely being more assertive in practice this offseason and keeping everyone accountable. My hope is that it translates into the season. There were plenty of times last season where he just looked lost and didnt know what to do. Part of that was because he is a newer HC and another part of it was that the team's personnel didnt allow him to make many in-game changes.

Players are definitely on a shorter leash so better decisions will be made.

One thing I hope to see is CKK call timeouts at the right time. I cant even count how many times a team went on a 12-0 run and he let the game go on. I understand letting players work through trouble, but it doesnt make sense when we give up 2/3 separate runs like that in a game and only one timeout is called in that span.

One thing I hope to see is CKK call timeouts at the right time. I cant even count how many times a team went on a 12-0 run and he let the game go on. I understand letting players work through trouble, but it doesnt make sense when we give up 2/3 separate runs like that in a game and only one timeout is called in that span.
This is straight out of Lon's Bible of Coaching!

I absolutely hated this happening multiple times per season. Games where it got out of hand because he let his teams play.

Obviously, Lon was an excellent coach in many other regards, just this used to irritate me. I think it's what cost us against Oregon in the Sweet 16, too. We lost by 2 but didn't have to get into the hole that we were in before we made our run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT