ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Showcase (Scrimmage)

RebelBuzz

Retired Number
Jan 13, 2015
Anyone got any highlights/insight from today's event? The game was at the same time as my son's soccer game, so I couldn't make it. Looking at these stats, it looks like Armani had the upper hand:

I could be wrong but Rogers MAY have locked up the starting QB job. However don't put to much into what you read about the Spring Game in the papers or on social media.

The QB battle between Rogers and Stanton was razor close all through Spring.

There was little if anything to choose between the two.

Roger's very well may win the job. The story you aren't getting is how tough a battle it's been between he and Stanton.

Besides Gilbert Manzano who I believe attended every practice, I could almost count on one hand how many practices local 'pundits' have attended. Combined.

Last edited:
Zepeda looked more like he took a helmet to the shin/knee area when Lex picked him up on a blitz. Lex made sure he was alright as he left the field. Didnt seem too serious.

I could be wrong but Rogers MAY have locked up the starting QB job. However don't put to much into what you read about the Spring Game in the papers or on social media.

The QB battle between Rogers and Stanton was razor close all through Spring.

There was little if anything to choose between the two.

Roger's very well may win the job. The story you aren't getting is how tough a battle it's been between he and Stanton.

Besides Gilbert Manzano who I believe attended every practice, I could almost count on one hand how many practices local 'pundits' have attended. Combined.
Indeed. The QB battle will go through the summer. That's a good thing in my book. Just look at our recent history and around all of college football. It's very common now for the starter to miss games during a season due to injury. There's no need for us to name a starter until the end of the fall camp.

Indeed. The QB battle will go through the summer. That's a good thing in my book. Just look at our recent history and around all of college football. It's very common now for the starter to miss games during a season due to injury. There's no need for us to name a starter until the end of the fall camp.

I think its Roger's job. However there is little room for error. Sanchez said as much in his press conference. The battle is close because both QBs had more good moments than bad vs last year where no QB ever separated themselves from the pack because none performed particularly well.

I probably should not have added the last part to my previous post. That said, it frustrates me to see some of the local punditry proclaiming Roger's the savior of UNLV football. Most of them are making those claims based on second hand news, some HUDL tape and a Rivals ranking.

This is not a knock on Roger's. He is a talented player with a very promising future. He could be the type of player to get UNLV over the hump. In fact I think he will get us to multiple bowl games during his career. My post was a condemnation of some of the local journalists we have. They make some pretty bold proclamations considering how few practices they attend.

I think its Roger's job. However there is little room for error. Sanchez said as much in his press conference. The battle is close because both QBs had more good moments than bad vs last year where no QB ever separated themselves from the pack because none performed particularly well.

I probably should not have added the last part to my previous post. That said, it frustrates me to see some of the local punditry proclaiming Roger's the savior of UNLV football. Most of them are making those claims based on second hand news, some HUDL tape and a Rivals ranking.

This is not a knock on Roger's. He is a talented player with a very promising future. He could be the type of player to get UNLV over the hump. In fact I think he will get us to multiple bowl games during his career. My post was a condemnation of some of the local journalists we have. They make some pretty bold proclamations considering how few practices they attend.

With the censorship, I decided to skip the spring this year but I agree.
I also can't see the logic is going with a freshman starter at quarterback this season with two experienced players returning with Stanton having significant physical skills at the position. The spring game difficulties with formations and reads are a good indication Rogers would be better served getting his feet wet while continuing to develop but I understand the process of looking to provide optimism for ticket sales this fall.
With visits to Idaho, Air Force & Ohio State and a home game versus San Diego State in the first six weeks, I really hope Stanton has settled in so he can lead the team on the field.
I don't see Palandech as a good option as a starter due to his history of passing limitations. If the quarterbacks can raise the completion percentage this season, there should be more success on the football field.
With spring over, its on to the next season from here on out.

With the censorship, I decided to skip the spring this year but I agree.
I also can't see the logic is going with a freshman starter at quarterback this season with two experienced players returning with Stanton having significant physical skills at the position. The spring game difficulties with formations and reads are a good indication Rogers would be better served getting his feet wet while continuing to develop but I understand the process of looking to provide optimism for ticket sales this fall.
With visits to Idaho, Air Force & Ohio State and a home game versus San Diego State in the first six weeks, I really hope Stanton has settled in so he can lead the team on the field.
I don't see Palandech as a good option as a starter due to his history of passing limitations. If the quarterbacks can raise the completion percentage this season, there should be more success on the football field.
With spring over, its on to the next season from here on out.

I don't want to go into a lot of detail.

Both QBs had good camps. Had Stanton performed this well last year the QB battle doesn't drag into the fall.

I think having the Howard game to open the seaason allows the staff a chance to let Armani get his feet wet with a home game vs a 'lesser' opponent. The Idaho game on the road while difficult, is winnable.

I try not to ever have 'a horse in the race' when evaluating players. There honestly was little to choose between Stanton and Rogers and with all the weapons we have on offense either one of them should be able to lead this offense.

There are going to be growing pains with Rogers like any young QB.

Palandech is Palandech. He is a good athlete, but an inconsitent passer in terms of accuracy and his lack of arm strength somewhat shrinks the playbook. In a pure option offense like New Mexico he could be really dangerous.

Will going to send you a direct message in the next day or two. Have a couple questions/ideas to throw your way.

I think we all agree that Armani is the future of Rebel football. But is the future now? I like the idea of having an experienced signal caller back there but, if a game is no longer in doubt, bring the young 'un in for reps. Unless Armani is head and shoulder above Johnny and Kurt coming out of fall camp, letting him season on the sidelines and in mop-up might not be a bad thing. I'm not entirely confident Johnny can stay healthy the whole year, so I think Armani gets the job at some point, anyway. All that said, I hope Armani is able to separate himself from the others. I'm liking where we are in the backfield more than I have in several years.

Whoever is named the starter the latter will have a role to play. I think if it is Rogers (and things seem to be trending that way) , Stanton will still have packages built for him so that he is engaged and staying sharp. He showed no ill effects from his knee injury and the times QB's were live still packed a punch in the run game.

This will work two fold in keeping Stanton on his toes and prepared while taking a little off Rogers plate. If Stanton is the starter I can see Rogers having a few set series to come in and get some live reps. As we saw last year in having to play 3 guys for various reasons, the #2 guy better be ready. Palandech is a distant 3rd right now. Still special with his legs but even on the TD he threw in the spring game, it was a great adjustment by Trosclair on an under thrown (wobbly) pass.

Last edited:
I'm not writing off Stanton. He has a major league arm. Look at the UCLA tape. Yes he threw ints. That's the mental part. But he was throwing lasers. He's also a bull when he runs. At 23 years old he's not just going to give up.

Stanton improved a lot in terms of consistency/accuracy this last spring. Again, this year is a case of choosing between 2 guys that were playing really well through spring.

Both guys can make plays with their legs as well. As you stated Stanton is a load and really sells the read option well. Rogers is more of a glider and looks like he is just cruising along until you realize he is 10 yards down field. Both guys will be good at extending plays and making defenses work in that regard.

Censorship by ?

I have missed your insight recently.

The short version...

UNLV/Sanchez had a list of things they did not want discussed on message boards or written about in the papers.

Sanchez wants to keep practice open to public/media, however he would close them if certain things 'leaked'.

Reactions: mvvsmith
The short version...

UNLV/Sanchez had a list of things they did not want discussed on message boards or written about in the papers.

Sanchez wants to keep practice open to public/media, however he would close them if certain things 'leaked'.
Did not know that. Please post what is out of bounds.
Thanks

I'm not writing off Stanton. He has a major league arm. Look at the UCLA tape. Yes he threw ints. That's the mental part. But he was throwing lasers. He's also a bull when he runs. At 23 years old he's not just going to give up.

Even if he isn't named starter, expect him to have a few packages designed specifically for him. Inside the 10 yard line, short yardage situations etc..

Did not know that. Please post what is out of bounds.
Thanks

1) Basically discussing any injuries at all. I knew Acosta was hurt a few days before it was reported in the paper.

2) A daily 'blow by blow' account of the QB competition. 'So and so was great, this guy stunk.

3) Detailed description of offensive or defensive packages...

Coverage had to be very vanilla....

1) Basically discussing any injuries at all. I knew Acosta was hurt a few days before it was reported in the paper.

2) A daily 'blow by blow' account of the QB competition. 'So and so was great, this guy stunk.

Thanks Bro. No issue for me at 1400 miles away!

If the kicking game does a better job of field goals and kickoffs, there should be more success on the football field! [banana][banana][banana]

If we score more points than the other team, there should be more success on the football field

The short version...

In retrospect that explains the aversion to giving details on the QB situation.... I had kind of started to think that this spring so many people were caught up chasing the Raiders story was the main reason that Rebel football was flying more under the radar even than usual!

Overall though... Sanchez has been more open than Hauck, right? At least that's the case on social media.

In retrospect that explains the aversion to giving details on the QB situation.... I had kind of started to think that this spring so many people were caught up chasing the Raiders story was the main reason that Rebel football was flying more under the radar even than usual!

Overall though... Sanchez has been more open than Hauck, right? At least that's the case on social media.

Sanchez is far more open than Hauck. Hauck wouldn't tell you what he had for lunch, much less give you a peek into what was going on with the program.

Last season I did these write ups and gave a lot more detail into what was going on.

Well it was hard for Hauck to tell us anything from the middle of his fishing boat in Montana.

Hauck really wouldn't publish anything. Hard to get excited about a team that is invisible 9 months a year. Sanchez is the king of generating positive news while still speaking bluntly about where the team is. We said it here week one with Sanchez, "wow we're still talking about football and it is the off season."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT