ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Day 9

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
With the graduation of Andrew Price there are some question marks as to who might step up as the #1 tight end in this offense. The Rebels Currently have four tight ends on the roster. Tim Holt and Trevor Kanteman return and saw significant playing time last year. Gio Fauolo and Cody Scherff (a JUCO transfer) were both red shirted. The answer may be all of them. Each of these four guys has a different skill set and gives offensive coordinator Barney Cotton a lot of options. Tim Holt is more of an H-Back type. He can lineup in the slot, at FB, he can be used in motion or on the line. Holt has solid speed, and can present some matchup problems for linebackers. Kanteman is a little more of a traditional tight end. At 6-4 240 he has proven to be a solid inline blocker as well as giving his QB a big target. Fauolo is 6-2 250 and a good run blocker. He has also shown reliable hands, and runs better than one might think for a guy his size. Cody Scherff who red shirted last season is 6-6 and listed at 240 lbs. He looks to have added 10-15 pounds since arriving on campus. Scherff has made a number of nice catches during the Spring. There is also incoming (Fall) freshman Noah Bean who while listed as a wide receiver in high school, I believe the staff likes at TE. There is also Jamaal Neal who is an interesting prospect. At 6'2 221 lbs, he played a variety of positions in high school, lining up as a running back, as a tight end and even out wide as a receiver.

Tao Iafeta a red shirt freshman DT out of San Jose saw some action with the second unit today. Iafeta is 6'5 285 and has the frame to add even more bulk. A former Wyoming commit, Iafeta could help add some solid depth to the interior of the defensive line.

ALL THE WEAPONS!!!!!

At least we know we can bring the house on every down. I expect to see a big swing in defense recruiting now that the offense looks mostly built.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
With the graduation of Andrew Price there are some question marks as to who might step up as the #1 tight end in this offense. The Rebels Currently have four tight ends on the roster. Tim Holt and Trevor Kanteman return and saw significant playing time last year. Gio Fauolo and Cody Scherff (a JUCO transfer) were both red shirted. The answer may be all of them. Each of these four guys has a different skill set and gives offensive coordinator Barney Cotton a lot of options. Tim Holt is more of an H-Back type. He can lineup in the slot, at FB, he can be used in motion or on the line. Holt has solid speed, and can present some matchup problems for linebackers. Kanteman is a little more of a traditional tight end. At 6-4 240 he has proven to be a solid inline blocker as well as giving his QB a big target. Fauolo is 6-2 250 and a good run blocker. He has also shown reliable hands, and runs better than one might think for a guy his size. Cody Scherff who red shirted last season is 6-6 and listed at 240 lbs. He looks to have added 10-15 pounds since arriving on campus. Scherff has made a number of nice catches during the Spring. There is also incoming (Fall) freshman Noah Bean who while listed as a wide receiver in high school, I believe the staff likes at TE. There is also Jamaal Neal who is an interesting prospect. At 6'2 221 lbs, he played a variety of positions in high school, lining up as a running back, as a tight end and even out wide as a receiver.

Tao Iafeta a red shirt freshman DT out of San Jose saw some action with the second unit today. Iafeta is 6'5 285 and has the frame to add even more bulk. A former Wyoming commit, Iafeta could help add some solid depth to the interior of the defensive line.
Good stuff. Knowing that Barney really likes using both a Y-TE and an H-TE on the same plays, I think you're right in that the answer is "all of them".

Reactions: RebelinWA
Anything less than a bowl games is a disappointment in my opinion, and Sanchez' seat should start to feel a little (key word little) warm.

I think his seat starts getting a little warm once the practice facility is built. Then we have almost no excuses sans Sam Boyd. Even then with Raider stadium, it will probably be a non factor come June.

Jesus fellas stop with this, "seat needs to feel warm BS" season has't even started. Let the guy do his job. There is No new uniforms, practice facilities, marketing, field change, quality recruits, etc without Sanchez. We are playing catchup to every team in the MWC. Slow and steady wins the race let him build a solid foundation.

I'm anticipating 7-8 wins this year.

I can see 4 for sure and a fifth I feel pretty confident about. What are your other 2 or 3?

Howard-W
@ Idaho-?
@ Ohio State-L
San Jose State-W
San Diego State-L
@Air Force-?
Utah State-W
@Fresno State-W
Hawaii-W
BYU-L
@New Mexico-?
@Reno -?

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Jesus fellas stop with this, "seat needs to feel warm BS" season has't even started. Let the guy do his job. There is No new uniforms, practice facilities, marketing, field change, quality recruits, etc without Sanchez. We are playing catchup to every team in the MWC. Slow and steady wins the race let him build a solid foundation.

Exactly. 5 wins would be another step in the right direction.

I really don't think people realize how second rate our current facilities are.

I will say this though, if defense doesn't make significant strides Coach Baer's seat might get hot. These are essentially 'his guys' now.

Given UNLV's history, and the positive strides that football has made over these past few years, I don't want or expect Sanchez seat to be warm, or even talked about frankly. We need some stability! Once the practice facility is rolled out, recruiting should be a little easier. Once the new stadium gets going, again, makes things easier. If we ever are able to get into a power conference, watch out.

You can't be serious about his seat being hot. That's the worst thing you've ever typed on these boards (and you're notorious for spewing dog ....).

Yes, lets fire him after next season. All the support he brought with him will stick around for sure since they were here before he arrived on campus. They just needed a catalyst to up their donations. Now they are "diehards" like us.

You can't be serious about his seat being hot. That's the worst thing you've ever typed on these boards (and you're notorious for spewing dog ....).

Yes, lets fire him after next season. All the support he brought with him will stick around for sure since they were here before he arrived on campus. They just needed a catalyst to up their donations. Now they are "diehards" like us.

I can be serious and don't call me Shirley.

I can see 4 for sure and a fifth I feel pretty confident about. What are your other 2 or 3? If we can stay somewhat injury free those 4 ? marks look very intriguing. Just saying.

Howard-W
@ Idaho-?
@ Ohio State-L
San Jose State-W
San Diego State-L
@Air Force-?
Utah State-W
@Fresno State-W
Hawaii-W
BYU-L
@New Mexico-?
@Reno -?