ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game

Nobody should ever be handed a job obviously.

Hajj/Friel have a leg up on Sluka with Spring practice.

Sluka will have some catching up to do.

All that said, he was the primary target this off season for a reason.

It's who the staff felt fit the offense the best.

A guy that can threaten the defense with his legs on both designed runs and when plays break down.

He also had a really high yards per completion avg.

I really believe Marion wants to gut teams running the ball and then attack downfield for splash plays. Sluka did that at Holy Cross.

He won't be handed the job. But y guess is he wins it outright.

As for players rallying behind Friel. Of course, they know the dude. By all accounts he's been a good teammate. Even on the sideline you never see him moping around. He's engaged. Despite Marion saying the offense doesn't require a mobile Qb, I think it definitely unlocks more facets of it.
Lets not have another coach that hitches their wagon to one qb no matter what. I don’t want Odom/ Marion to go the way of Sanchez.

Lets not have another coach that hitches their wagon to one qb no matter what. I don’t want Odom/ Marion to go the way of Sanchez.

I don't think they would.

I think Sluka was the main target. I think based on most reports he's viewed as the more talented QB.

I don't think he will be handed the job, but my guess is the staff is expecting him to win it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelinWA
You guys do all realize that most major college football programs have a QB1 right? 1 QB that is "the" starter. Its not a matter of hitching yourself to the QB, thats literally how football is played. You cant just swap out QBs at your pleasure, it doesn't work. Again, that doesnt mean you dont have capable backups but you arent out there leaving it up for conversation on a weekly basis.
I think youre misunderstanding the intent of having/naming a starter vs having multiple QBs capable of starting. You have a starter, the guy who you hope for 12-13 games plays well enough to win each time on the field.. Not a bunch of squad guys that you hope as a committee go out and can win enough games together to make a bowl game. My hope is whoever is game 1 starter is game 13 starter.
Now, If say Sluka got the job and through 3 games had 9 ints and 1 TD and Odom refused to switch QBs then thatd be hitching to a single QB.

You guys do all realize that most major college football programs have a QB1 right? 1 QB that is "the" starter. Its not a matter of hitching yourself to the QB, thats literally how football is played. You cant just swap out QBs at your pleasure, it doesn't work. Again, that doesnt mean you dont have capable backups but you arent out there leaving it up for conversation on a weekly basis.
I think youre misunderstanding the intent of having/naming a starter vs having multiple QBs capable of starting. You have a starter, the guy who you hope for 12-13 games plays well enough to win each time on the field.. Not a bunch of squad guys that you hope as a committee go out and can win enough games together to make a bowl game. My hope is whoever is game 1 starter is game 13 starter.
Now, If say Sluka got the job and through 3 games had 9 ints and 1 TD and Odom refused to switch QBs then thatd be hitching to a single QB.

The Rogers situation was weird. I can tell you a lot of people that attended Spring practice thought Stanton was better than Armani the entire Spring. And yet...

Those schools also have a decent probability of knowing that the qb from spring will be the qb in fall. I m just saying that it’s pointless to declare a true 1 now. We don’t have a returning starter who can build upon success from the last season.

In situations with a returning starter, declare qb1 after sprint. In our case, keep it open and may the best man win in the fall.

Thats why you dont hire HS coaches.... In HS you can throw the best athlete out often times and they tend to win more than they lose due to shear athletic ability.. At D1 college, that doesnt work most of the time.

Thats why you dont hire HS coaches.... In HS you can throw the best athlete out often times and they tend to win more than they lose due to shear athletic ability.. At D1 college, that doesnt work most of the time.
That’s why I want guys with real D1 experience running things. Huge learning curve, HUGE, if you haven’t run the entire program before. Unless maybe you’re a top assistant with many years under your belt.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Or make promises to land a recruit...

The Rogers situation was weird. I can tell you a lot of people that attended Spring practice thought Stanton was better than Armani the entire Spring. And yet...
We consistently watched Stanton out perform Rogers almost every practice. Yet the media (who usually arrived in the last 10 minutes of practice) were only singing praise for Rogers.

Stanton gave up when he realized no matter how well he did; the decision for starter was permanent and he wasn’t it.

We consistently watched Stanton out perform Rogers almost every practice. Yet the media (who usually arrived in the last 10 minutes of practice) were only singing praise for Rogers.

Stanton gave up when he realized no matter how well he did; the decision for starter was permanent and he wasn’t it.

There was one moment in particular during practice where I feel that became evident.

Reactions: RebelinWA
It is going to be a little different this year without an incumbent. Even a bit more different than last year. New coaching staff, but Doug was a more established player.
With 2 QBs both coming in from a lower level of football, I am sure they want to make sure they have the right guy before naming QB1.
Also again, reps are going to be shared and equal. It is a philosophy of this coaching staff. It is a bit out of the box thinking, but it certainly helps with depth and guys being ready to play. So naming a QB1 has less of an impact if everyone is getting the same practice reps.

It is going to be a little different this year without an incumbent. Even a bit more different than last year. New coaching staff, but Doug was a more established player.
With 2 QBs both coming in from a lower level of football, I am sure they want to make sure they have the right guy before naming QB1.
Also again, reps are going to be shared and equal. It is a philosophy of this coaching staff. It is a bit out of the box thinking, but it certainly helps with depth and guys being ready to play. So naming a QB1 has less of an impact if everyone is getting the same practice reps.
Hey Dcut, I have apparently been kicked off Rebel-net. Could you let the group know? My email is donunlvlegends@gmail.com

Stand corrected, only you left NSU. The kickers's evaluations are all yours for all of us.
So you want me to set up Rebel-Net so that it automatically kicks off anyone who slanders kickers? (like that pun?)

How quickly do you think Bull would get banned? I'm setting the o/u at 1.5 hours with the under at -560 and the over at +800.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT