ADVERTISEMENT

So you are saying there is a chance.

If there's a chance this guy comes, you take it. There's a new staff so nobody's starting spot should be assured. Everything is about earning it. DougieB wasn't the same quarterback after the concussion--whether that was from the bell ringing itself, or lack of reps, or something else I'm not sure how anyone can see how the QB position played out the last 2 years and not be stumbling over yourself to add Hornsby to the QB room.

In the history of the program I think we've had like 9 rivals 4 star recruits most via transfer. How do you for a second not take another one.

I swear, the number of bad hot takes on this board makes Colin Cowherd look like Howard Cosell.
The thing about Hornsby is that he was very highly rated.. Then his senior year the big boys backed off because it looked like qb wasn't for him. Arkansas took him and he hasn't done anything. I followed his recruiting a bit and I've seen him play. I hope UNLV takes him and he's great here...i would love to be wrong

Reactions: Couev
He isn't Lamar, but he doesn't have to be. Similiar skill set so I understand the comparison especially with the Petrino connection.

I think this is more of a fair comparison.

Floor- Armani Rogers
Ceiling- ??? Who knows. Dude is a top tier athlete.

You definitely take a chance on him.
I get what you’re saying and I’m not saying he’s the next Lamar Jackson. I’m merely implying he could be used in much of the same way Petrino used Lamar at Louisville.

Reactions: 220reb
I get what you’re saying and I’m not saying he’s the next Lamar Jackson. I’m merely implying he could be used in much of the same way Petrino used Lamar at Louisville.

I reread my post, didn't articulate what I was trying to say well.

I get the Lamar comparison. It's fair. Lamar was not exactly a finished product when he arrived at Louisville. He had some accuracy issues of his own.

I was agreeing with you, just saying he doesn't need to be Lamar to be productive here.

If Armani Rogers had been a high 50s instead of a low 50s completion percentage guy Rebels probably go to a few bowls and Sanchez might actually still be here.

I think that's this guys floor. While not great it is serviceable. His ceiling if he ever figures it out with his arm could be really high.

The thing about Hornsby is that he was very highly rated.. Then his senior year the big boys backed off because it looked like qb wasn't for him. Arkansas took him and he hasn't done anything. I followed his recruiting a bit and I've seen him play. I hope UNLV takes him and he's great here...i would love to be wrong
I think there's some fairness to that criticism. He didn't have great accuracy in high school and while he throws a decent deep ball and has lots of arm power, he throws a bit of an ugly ball and is very poor on touch throws. His footwork and release points will need a lot of work too for him to be a more reliable passer.

I think a lot of the big boys backing off on him had more today with his early commit to UNC followed by his re-opening his recruitment into the summer. I think there were a few offers to him that wanted him to switch to WR--Alabama most notably, but he was still getting of interest and taking visits from mid to upper mid P5 conferences for QB. Notably Purdue, VaTech, Arkansas, UNC, and TAMU.

I see the comparisons to Armani Rogers because he played here and was a bigger threat running than throwing. But I don't think Armani has this guys raw athleticism especially in his acceleration/deceleration/change of pace. IF you can get Petrino to get him to make some throws beyond the long ball and the WR screen I just don't see the downside. Even with the cooling on him as a senior, this guy was a HIGH 4 star top 100 player, and he doesn't have the injury history that a guy like Justin Rogers did.

I think there's some fairness to that criticism. He didn't have great accuracy in high school and while he throws a decent deep ball and has lots of arm power, he throws a bit of an ugly ball and is very poor on touch throws. His footwork and release points will need a lot of work too for him to be a more reliable passer.

I think a lot of the big boys backing off on him had more today with his early commit to UNC followed by his re-opening his recruitment into the summer. I think there were a few offers to him that wanted him to switch to WR--Alabama most notably, but he was still getting of interest and taking visits from mid to upper mid P5 conferences for QB. Notably Purdue, VaTech, Arkansas, UNC, and TAMU.

I see the comparisons to Armani Rogers because he played here and was a bigger threat running than throwing. But I don't think Armani has this guys raw athleticism especially in his acceleration/deceleration/change of pace. IF you can get Petrino to get him to make some throws beyond the long ball and the WR screen I just don't see the downside. Even with the cooling on him as a senior, this guy was a HIGH 4 star top 100 player, and he doesn't have the injury history that a guy like Justin Rogers did.

Yeah he's a more explosive athlete than Armani.

I used Armani as an example of his potential 'floor' in terms of production.

I think you play this game.

You recruit him as a QB. You allow him a chance to compete for the job. If he wins it grea. If not, you tell him if he wants to see the field he'll need to play WR. Even then you can design situational packages for him at QB.

Yeah he's a more explosive athlete than Armani.

I used Armani as an example of his potential 'floor' in terms of production.

I think you play this game.

You recruit him as a QB. You allow him a chance to compete for the job. If he wins it grea. If not, you tell him if he wants to see the field he'll need to play WR. Even then you can design situational packages for him at QB.
He might be next level WR with running abilities and savvy. Yeah, I am starting to agree with Bull. Give him a chance at QB but dont limit him to that position. He is 6'2 and with a world sprint speed.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I haven’t watched any film, but reading this thread it sounds like this kid would be the best athlete on the team from Day 1. If that’s the case you do what it takes to get him to LV even if he never starts a game at QB. You let him compete, if he isn’t QB1, then you find ways to get him on the field.

He doesn't want to play WR!!!
One of the many reasons he is leaving Arkansas is Pittman said he has to play WR and be the backup QB to Jefferson. Petrino thinks he can rework his Footwork and Passing mechanics. The goal is to get Malik to be more consistent as a Passing QB. Petrino will lose it if this kid can't make screen passes or 5 yard outs to the TE's on the goal line. Unfortunately Kendall Briles could not develop him into a better QB. I would like to see Petrino get a chance to coach him up.

One of the many reasons he is leaving Arkansas is Pittman said he has to play WR and be the backup QB to Jefferson. Petrino thinks he can rework his Footwork and Passing mechanics. The goal is to get Malik to be more consistent as a Passing QB. Petrino will lose it if this kid can't make screen passes or 5 yard outs to the TE's on the goal line. Unfortunately Kendall Briles could not develop him into a better QB. I would like to see Petrino get a chance to coach him up.

I think everyone realizes he wants to play QB, but what if he gets to whatever school he ends up at and gets beat out? You get him on the field in some capacity. It’s all a moot point if he is QB1.

Let Petrino do his thing, then ...what is there to discuss. dammit.

The kid is literally running pass SEC defenders and looks like he has sub 4.4 speed. If he even turns into a decent passer, he’ll be good. Worst case you just go RPO all day. Petrino has had a healthy balance of power run in the past. Seems to fit his style that he’s looking for.

The kid is literally running pass SEC defenders and looks like he has sub 4.4 speed. If he even turns into a decent passer, he’ll be good. Worst case you just go RPO all day. Petrino has had a healthy balance of power run in the past. Seems to fit his style that he’s looking for.
Agreed.... I mean Brumfield has been ok but being completely honest verse good defenses he's mediocre and passing is mediocre. Given that, I'll take a shot on a former 4 star with speed upside and let the passing game come to him...

Reactions: 220reb

That's why I say worst case scenario he's Armani Rogers 2.0 with more speed.

He's stated he wants to play QB. I think you give him every chance to win the job.

If he doesn't you give him some packages at QB.

Red zone and short yardage stuff. Let him run read option stuff. It takes hits off your starting QB. Passing windows in the redzone are a lot smaller. You have to be able to run the ball when you get inside the 20. Dude can definitely do that.

You also tell him if he doesn't win the job that if he wants to see the field he can move to WR. And like I said give him some packages or a series to keep him engaged.

Really is a no lose scenario.

That's why I say worst case scenario he's Armani Rogers 2.0 with more speed.

He's stated he wants to play QB. I think you give him every chance to win the job.

If he doesn't you give him some packages at QB.

Red zone and short yardage stuff. Let him run read option stuff. It takes hits off your starting QB. Passing windows in the redzone are a lot smaller. You have to be able to run the ball when you get inside the 20. Dude can definitely do that.

You also tell him if he doesn't win the job that if he wants to see the field he can move to WR. And like I said give him some packages or a series to keep him engaged.

Really is a no lose scenario.
Just how many players are in the QB room now?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
As it stands I think 4 or 5.

Doug
Harrison
Friel
Liberty kid

And a walk on I believe.

I think there will be attrition. My guess, Friel may hit portal after Spring if buried behind Doug and Bailey.
Bring the new kid in - they need at least one more for a decent poker game.

For me, I'm not sure how good Brumfield really is as a complete QB.

All QBs struggled to make easy reads and throws in this offense, besides the scripted screen pass. I though Dough did a good job early in the season audibling based off coverages, but no QB seemed to regularly find WRs in soft zone coverages or exploit loaded boxes etc.

Part of that could be WR's not recongnizing what they need to do or the inability to get open.

BUT... personally I think it was the offense itself. It's been criticized as being too complicated. Now I don't know how true that is, but the fact Bailey took so long to get accustomed to it coming from Tennessee lent some credibility to the idea.

I will say I though Bailey did the better job towards the end of the year reading defenses and making the easier throws, but again it was few and far between for everyone.

Because of that, I'm personally not writing off Dough, Bailey, or Friel as being our QB of the future.

As for Hornsby? I'm a bit torn.

Sure I'm about bringing athletes in, but he does want to play QB, and I am doubtful he would beat out all of our guys. All of them seem to be better passers. Having him switch just doesn't seem to the best pretenses coming in, unless he is full aware of the scenario.

But if he is fully aware, I don't see him coming here. Why be a WR for UNLV if he could be a WR at Arkansas or even 'Bama?

Unless Petrino really wants him and thinks he could have the most success next season with him at QB over who we already have.

Reactions: Rebel1986
For me, I'm not sure how good Brumfield really is as a complete QB.

All QBs struggled to make easy reads and throws in this offense, besides the scripted screen pass. I though Dough did a good job early in the season audibling based off coverages, but no QB seemed to regularly find WRs in soft zone coverages or exploit loaded boxes etc.

Part of that could be WR's not recongnizing what they need to do or the inability to get open.

BUT... personally I think it was the offense itself. It's been criticized as being too complicated. Now I don't know how true that is, but the fact Bailey took so long to get accustomed to it coming from Tennessee lent some credibility to the idea.

I will say I though Bailey did the better job towards the end of the year reading defenses and making the easier throws, but again it was few and far between for everyone.

Because of that, I'm personally not writing off Dough, Bailey, or Friel as being our QB of the future.

As for Hornsby? I'm a bit torn.

Sure I'm about bringing athletes in, but he does want to play QB, and I am doubtful he would beat out all of our guys. All of them seem to be better passers. Having him switch just doesn't seem to the best pretenses coming in, unless he is full aware of the scenario.

But if he is fully aware, I don't see him coming here. Why be a WR for UNLV if he could be a WR at Arkansas or even 'Bama?

Unless Petrino really wants him and thinks he could have the most success next season with him at QB over who we already have.
Im definitely writing Friel off.. 2 seasons of opportunity and dude looks lost running any offense. He sits in pocket to long, his scrambling timing is off and outside a few nice throws, he's been awful in the passing game. I also thought he had hit the portal already. As for everyone else, time will tell, but I expect talent to win out over status quo. Sorry, but I dont trust Arroyo's ability to declare a winner in the QB battle and from the few bright spots that Bailey showed when able, he defiantly looked the more complete QB. Whatever the case was with the playbook or Arroyo trying to be safe and then getting lucky with an early hot hand, Doug's passing is a limitation to his game, along with being more cautious with his body. Competition is great, and unlike Arroyo, I expect a QB1 to be named after Spring camp so that player has the opportunity to grab the locker room and become the leader a QB1 should be.

Reactions: dcut03
Im definitely writing Friel off.. 2 seasons of opportunity and dude looks lost running any offense. He sits in pocket to long, his scrambling timing is off and outside a few nice throws, he's been awful in the passing game. I also thought he had hit the portal already. As for everyone else, time will tell, but I expect talent to win out over status quo. Sorry, but I dont trust Arroyo's ability to declare a winner in the QB battle and from the few bright spots that Bailey showed when able, he defiantly looked the more complete QB. Whatever the case was with the playbook or Arroyo trying to be safe and then getting lucky with an early hot hand, Doug's passing is a limitation to his game, along with being more cautious with his body. Competition is great, and unlike Arroyo, I expect a QB1 to be named after Spring camp so that player has the opportunity to grab the locker room and become the leader a QB1 should be.
Doug has a strong arm and has struggled with touch in the past, but I thought in general that was significantly improved last year. I think he has a making of a pretty good passer, it is just tough to judge the intangibles given all QBs struggled way too much in this offense last year. I do think Bailey did slightly better with his time towards the end of the season. But hard to say either way.
I do think Friel is easily behind those 2, but he does throw a nice ball and he could suprise us.
Pertino definitely has a style but he is willing to adapt as well. He did things differently with Lamar Jackson for sure I I think I have read has done similar things in other situations as well.

Doug has a strong arm and has struggled with touch in the past, but I thought in general that was significantly improved last year. I think he has a making of a pretty good passer, it is just tough to judge the intangibles given all QBs struggled way too much in this offense last year. I do think Bailey did slightly better with his time towards the end of the season. But hard to say either way.
I do think Friel is easily behind those 2, but he does throw a nice ball and he could suprise us.
Pertino definitely has a style but he is willing to adapt as well. He did things differently with Lamar Jackson for sure I I think I have read has done similar things in other situations as well.

He completed 64% of his passes which is solid. Rushed for 250. Threw for almost 2000 yards despite missing multiple games.

Troubling would be the INT to TD ratio of 10-5. You want it closer to 3-1.

Where Doug struggled was when he threw his picks. I think majority of his INTs came inside the redzone. He needs to get better with reads and decision making down there.

He's an above average passer. Good arm, better touch and accuracy than perceived.

Rebels gave up close to 40 sacks on the year. Way too many.

Poor Oline play was as much to fault as as poor QB play.

That doesn't even take into account a lot of drops.

Doug's good enough to win in this conference.

His numbers are close to Herrings bowl season in every regard except TD-INT ratio. Has to clean that up.

Reactions: StoneDog21
He completed 64% of his passes which is solid. Rushed for 250. Threw for almost 2000 yards despite missing multiple games.

Troubling would be the INT to TD ratio of 10-5. You want it closer to 3-1.

Where Doug struggled was when he threw his picks. I think majority of his INTs came inside the redzone. He needs to get better with reads and decision making down there.

He's an above average passer. Good arm, better touch and accuracy than perceived.

Rebels gave up close to 40 sacks on the year. Way too many.

Poor Oline play was as much to fault as as poor QB play.

That doesn't even take into account a lot of drops.

Doug's good enough to win in this conference.

His numbers are close to Herrings bowl season in every regard except TD-INT ratio. Has to clean that up.

I do agree. I think Odom does too. He was the first emphatic yes to return after meeting with Coach Odom. Its not like Brum is a super die hard Rebel since he has entered the portal in the past.

The things that I am unsure may be reading defenses pre and post snap. Early in the year he audibled plays very successfully. Later it did not seem like he did so much.

Fresno State. We were hurting them with the run game and they just loaded the box, and we couldn't make them pay. Fully healthy receiver corps too. Again I don't know whetehr that was Brum not reading the defenses, or the offense not deisgned to counter that.

Same situation with San Jose State. Watching a decent, but not that good Easter Michigan easily pick apart their defense with easy throws in huge gaps in the defense just stung. We struggled so much against them, even with Doug.

Honestly I'm hoping it was the offense, and if I'm true to myself i do think that was a big part of it.

But will any of our quarterbacks fair better in a new system hard to say,

Also too many sacks for sure last year, but O line play was better than 2021. It wasn't like there was a guy in our QB's face immediately after the snap every play. A lot of scrambling and guys improvising to get open and make things happen. In fact I would guess that probably the majority of our plus pass plays were exactly that.

Sure the O line could have played better, but I think it is more to it than that. 2021, it was a huge problem for sure.

You guys are forgetting what a QB does..

Throw the god damn ball and complete a pass.

I’m tired of turning athletes into QB’s. Y

UNLV needs to just open the wallet and sign a bunch of Offensive Line men.

No reason to see why we can’t have a decent offensive line. We got the best buffets in the universe What more can u ask for?

You guys are forgetting what a QB does..

Throw the god damn ball and complete a pass.

I’m tired of turning athletes into QB’s. Y

UNLV needs to just open the wallet and sign a bunch of Offensive Line men.

No reason to see why we can’t have a decent offensive line. We got the best buffets in the universe What more can u ask for?

With all the read option spread offenses out there QBs can get away with lower completion percentages. You better be able to run the ball consistently though. And your QB has to have 5-6 throws that he can make pretty consistently.

That was Armani's downfall. 3rd and 8 was a death sentence for that offense unless he made a play with his legs.

Reactions: reagan21
With all the read option spread offenses out there QBs can get away with lower completion percentages. You better be able to run the ball consistently though. And your QB has to have 5-6 throws that he can make pretty consistently.

That was Armani's downfall. 3rd and 8 was a death sentence for that offense unless he made a play with his legs.
AF can win a game and throw the ball 5 times.

Armani sucked as a QB here and at Ohio. He was like the left-handed guy who thought he should have been the QB in The Longest Yard. That's how "accurate" Armani was and still is.
done playing GIF

Armani’s downfall was he sucked at throwing the ball and was Coach Sanchez’s only QB that we probably paid under the table to keep happy.

How do I know this? Cause I was coach Sanchez’s hot yoga buddy when he was at power yoga & Pilates on Sahara/Rampart

He told me “we just simply don’t have any money” And he was 100 percent right..at the time. We probably still don’t have any money to pay off most of our players.

We really don’t have any excuses next year but we do.. Look at the entire schedule!! We’re away for most of the first half and then we’re at home most of the time during the second part of next year’s schedule.

We’re dead meat. Unless we got 5 QB’s that we can rotate in and get the ball rolling..

5 QB’s. That’s the magic number. Even I’m not gonna give up on Friel. He’d be a retard to transfer with Petrino coming in..

I’d like to see some movement on the recruiting new OL and DL front but bringing in this QB for competition is not a bad thing!
Well..with Kyle Williams leaving, we kinda don’t have any spots at WR..

Just saying.

I think I remember him playing..this was in 2021 when we were still in lockdown. But I remember watching an Arkansas game where it was a high scoring game and it went into OT (the hogs lost) and he was the QB.

Armani sucked as a QB here and at Ohio. He was like the left-handed guy who thought he should have been the QB in The Longest Yard. That's how "accurate" Armani was and still is.
done playing GIF
I didn’t know till recently that Armani switched positions and is in the NFL as a TE for the Commanders. Good for him.

This is something Jason Thomas should have done and maybe this Hornsby kid should also take note for WR.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT