ADVERTISEMENT

SJSU/SDSU Thoughts

RebelBuzz

Retired Number
Jan 13, 2015
Thoughts from the win last night:

- It’s nice to take care of business early, put it out of reach, and keep it there. I can think of too many times over the last couple years where we should have won or at least been competitive, and we come and lay an egg. Offense set the tone early.

- It wasn’t pretty, but give the defense credit for pitching a shutout in the second half and giving up only 13 points. You know the last time we gave up 13 or fewer points to an FBS school? 9/25/10 vs. New Mexico. Sure, there we’re some strange plays that let that happen, but hats off to the D for doing it. I think about that fumble in the end zone late in the game. Yes, that’s a weird play, but how many times in the past have you thought “well, the other team got inside the 10... might as well chalk up a TD...” Credit the defense for digging in and making a play.

- Really proud of how we ended the game. To take the ball from our 1 yard line down to their 1 yard line was pretty cool. Take a knee, no need to run it up, and call it a night.

- Man, we got a good one in Armani. He can throw the ball. He seems to make good decisions. He knows when to tuck it and run. I just wish he would slide a couple more times a game. He took some hits tonight. Which leads me to...

- I really don’t like that ARod played all game. Put KP/Stanton in. Please. Win is in the bag. Why risk it? I understand the UCLA/TexasAM argument...sort of... Here’s the thing tho: if you’re gonna try and run the ball 9/10 times, why not run it with KP? As good as Rogers is, I’ll take KP running zone read all day to run the clock. Kid is lightning in a bottle. Sit Rogers down to end that game.

- It was really cool to see Stanton get that blocked punt. What a play. Totally sold out for it too. Great to see a guy like that find ways to contribute even though he’s not playing the position he’d like. Not gonna lie, with his body, I think the D could find ways to use him.

- Lexington is fun to watch. He’s always been fast, but he’s added to his game. He had some really patient runs tonight where he found small holes. He finishes runs really well. And XCampbell and Owens look like they are ready to back him up and share the load. Owens is a different cat. Runs tall, but I liked what I saw.

On to SDSU

- This game is not unwinnable. Their defense is good, but I don’t think they are as good as they’ve been.

- Key to the game, IMO, is third down defense. We forced tons of 3rd and 6, 7, 8, and 10+ only to give up big plays and extend SJSU drives. We’ve done a good job forcing turnovers recently... but the defense needs to think of every 3rd down as a “big play”. Gotta get off the field.

Here’s to hoping!

Thoughts from the win last night:

- It’s nice to take care of business early, put it out of reach, and keep it there. I can think of too many times over the last couple years where we should have won or at least been competitive, and we come and lay an egg. Offense set the tone early.

- It wasn’t pretty, but give the defense credit for pitching a shutout in the second half and giving up only 13 points. You know the last time we gave up 13 or fewer points to an FBS school? 9/25/10 vs. New Mexico. Sure, there we’re some strange plays that let that happen, but hats off to the D for doing it. I think about that fumble in the end zone late in the game. Yes, that’s a weird play, but how many times in the past have you thought “well, the other team got inside the 10... might as well chalk up a TD...” Credit the defense for digging in and making a play.

- Really proud of how we ended the game. To take the ball from our 1 yard line down to their 1 yard line was pretty cool. Take a knee, no need to run it up, and call it a night.

- Man, we got a good one in Armani. He can throw the ball. He seems to make good decisions. He knows when to tuck it and run. I just wish he would slide a couple more times a game. He took some hits tonight. Which leads me to...

- I really don’t like that ARod played all game. Put KP/Stanton in. Please. Win is in the bag. Why risk it? I understand the UCLA/TexasAM argument...sort of... Here’s the thing tho: if you’re gonna try and run the ball 9/10 times, why not run it with KP? As good as Rogers is, I’ll take KP running zone read all day to run the clock. Kid is lightning in a bottle. Sit Rogers down to end that game.

- It was really cool to see Stanton get that blocked punt. What a play. Totally sold out for it too. Great to see a guy like that find ways to contribute even though he’s not playing the position he’d like. Not gonna lie, with his body, I think the D could find ways to use him.

- Lexington is fun to watch. He’s always been fast, but he’s added to his game. He had some really patient runs tonight where he found small holes. He finishes runs really well. And XCampbell and Owens look like they are ready to back him up and share the load. Owens is a different cat. Runs tall, but I liked what I saw.

On to SDSU

- This game is not unwinnable. Their defense is good, but I don’t think they are as good as they’ve been.

- Key to the game, IMO, is third down defense. We forced tons of 3rd and 6, 7, 8, and 10+ only to give up big plays and extend SJSU drives. We’ve done a good job forcing turnovers recently... but the defense needs to think of every 3rd down as a “big play”. Gotta get off the field.

Here’s to hoping!

I say open up the offense and see what happens. It is a great opportunity. The way the schedule looks they can become bowl eligible. Northern Illinois played SDSU tough.

I say open up the offense and see what happens. It is a great opportunity. The way the schedule looks they can become bowl eligible. Northern Illinois played SDSU tough.
NIU got one helluva defense...especially against the run. UNLV run defense ain't too shabby either...so yeah, I think the Rebs can really win it.

On to SDSU

Here’s to hoping!

Not getting off the field on third (or fourth) down has been a problem forever. Even in the LV Bowl season, Joe and I would be sitting in the pressbox watching...whoever...play the Rebels. If our D had them at third and long, we'd just shake our heads and say, great, we have them right where they want us. And damned if they didn't convert at an obscene rate.

I'll add one more key: ball security. SDSU doesn't put nearly the points on the board without turning over the opposition. This is the game where Armani grows up and learns to throw it away, otherwise it's gonna be a long night.

NIU got one helluva defense...especially against the run. UNLV run defense ain't too shabby either...so yeah, I think the Rebs can really win it.
We'll see how good the UNLV run defense is or isn't. Penny can run with the best of them. The problem is they are efficient when throwing it, too. I mean, it's not like they sling it all over the field but they've done more than enough through the air to keep defenses from locking in on the running game too much. I think the Rebels will have their hands more than full.

Not getting off the field on third (or fourth) down has been a problem forever. Even in the LV Bowl season, Joe and I would be sitting in the pressbox watching...whoever...play the Rebels. If our D had them at third and long, we'd just shake our heads and say, great, we have them right where they want us. And damned if they didn't convert at an obscene rate.

I'll add one more key: ball security. SDSU doesn't put nearly the points on the board without turning over the opposition. This is the game where Armani grows up and learns to throw it away, otherwise it's gonna be a long night.
Should never be afraid of 3rd and 12's, but they always seemed like first and goals from the 1 yard line....

We'll see how good the UNLV run defense is or isn't. Penny can run with the best of them. The problem is they are efficient when throwing it, too. I mean, it's not like they sling it all over the field but they've done more than enough through the air to keep defenses from locking in on the running game too much. I think the Rebels will have their hands more than full.

Why not stack the box to slow down Penny?

Got to play run pass. Favor run. Keep it all in front and step up a notch.

Why not stack the box to slow down Penny?
That will probably be the best play. And our corners have fared pretty well. And though SDSU hasn't been airing it out all over the place, they've been efficient via air and Penny has been a weapon through the air, too. If it's pick your poison, have to stop Penny first. But it's not like SDSU is incapable through the air.

UNLV defense is best at stopping the run. Start there and hit Chapmen in the chin a few times early on...UNLV will be in this

UNLV defense is best at stopping the run. Start there and hit Chapmen in the chin a few times early on...UNLV will be in this
Oh yes, brilliant strategy there Einstien, each time you do that, we get 15 free yards and your player is DQ'd for a game and 1/2. Pure genius. Why don't you just go ahead and poke Penny in the eye while you're at it, wait, never mind, that has already been tried.

Reactions: Rebel10fan
We gave up 462 yards of offense to a very bad team. Our offense shows lots of promise, and our QB is the real deal. But SDSU will hang 40 points on us next week.

Oh yes, brilliant strategy there Einstien, each time you do that, we get 15 free yards and your player is DQ'd for a game and 1/2. Pure genius. Why don't you just go ahead and poke Penny in the eye while you're at it, wait, never mind, that has already been tried.
And daggnabbit Trip, get off his lawn!!! He’a a message board war veteran for Pete sake! Have some respect. SMH ...

Reactions: bcvegaspt
We'll give you 15, twice or thrice...until Chapman get a chapped lips. And make Penny wish his family name is "dollars".

And daggnabbit Trip, get off his lawn!!! He’a a message board war veteran for Pete sake! Have some respect. SMH ...
He’s going to complain when he isn’t treated fairly here despite being an obvious troll for attention. I just hope he doesn’t whine like BYU fans do. Speaking of which, I’m not looking forward to those cry babies later this season.

Rebel-Net property value just took a nose dive.

Back to the topic at hand, trolls aside.

The defensive scheme is killing me.

To me, it looks like the players are doing well, they are just out of position.

No pass rush/QB pressure. We run 4 or 3 guys at the QB while having soft off coverages/zones on the back end with wide open holes all over the field. Ever play our DBs are giving 8-10 yd cushions even on short yardage plays. We also disguise nothing. Its very obvious when we are in man vs zone.

When our DBs play tight, they tend to fare well, at least when the talent is in the same stratosphere.

It would be nice for the defense to play aggressive. Put pressure on the offense, not sit back and hope they make a mistake.

Reactions: reagan21
It would be nice for the defense to play aggressive. Put pressure on the offense, not sit back and hope they make a mistake.
I agree with everything you just said, but if we try to bring more heat and pressure the QB, Penny is going to be 1-1 with the secondary on every play. Tough position this week. I'd like to see a pass rush at some point this season.

I agree with everything you just said, but if we try to bring more heat and pressure the QB, Penny is going to be 1-1 with the secondary on every play. Tough position this week. I'd like to see a pass rush at some point this season.

True. Priority 1 in stopping, slowing the run. We probably don't need a ton of pass rush this week, especially since they use their backs a lot out of the back field. But sure We could bring some heat in obvious passing downs.

Thin skin a little? Trolls intend to stir up reactions, my intention was simply to point out a dumb statement (would have done the same with an Aztec poster)

Regarding the NEW strategy of stacking the box with 8 or 9 defenders? Opposing fans have clamored for this strategy since early 2015, how has that worked out for MWC foes? So, in addition to "hitting Chapman in the chin a few times" and "stacking the box" go ahead the "let Chapman beat us with the pass" all great strategies with productive results. Good Luck Rebels

Thin skin a little? Trolls intend to stir up reactions, my intention was simply to point out a dumb statement (would have done the same with an Aztec poster)

Regarding the NEW strategy of stacking the box with 8 or 9 defenders? Opposing fans have clamored for this strategy since early 2015, how has that worked out for MWC foes? So, in addition to "hitting Chapman in the chin a few times" and "stacking the box" go ahead the "let Chapman beat us with the pass" all great strategies with productive results. Good Luck Rebels
You're right, you are not a troll...

Talk about thick skin? Hitting Chapman in the chin? Really? You haven't heard that type of phrase before in regards to football? It just mean trying to get after the QB.

Good luck to you

You're right, you are not a troll...

Talk about thick skin? Hitting Chapman in the chin? Really? You haven't heard that type of phrase before in regards to football? It just mean trying to get after the QB.

Oh yeah.....Sort of like "poke him in the eye" just harmless rhetoric.

Who here said "poke him in the eye?" That's right no one.

Plus no one said we had new strategy. Just because it hasn't worked so, should mean we should make it easier to run the ball. That makes a lot of sense.

SDSU has been the class of the conference. If UNLV fails this week, I hope that you all win out and make a New Years 6 bowl. It would be good for the conference. Beating UH in the LV bowl last year was a good win.

No one here doesn't know that it will be a tough task this week for us, and we are a long shot to pull off a win this week.

We do have a pretty good offense that should continue to get better week to week. Should be a pretty good game.

I actually think you all have a better than even chance to pull this one out, first, SDSU plays poorly in Vegas (scene of some of the worst losses in program history) Second, we start 4 freshmen up front and have not done well without a strong O-line showing, Third, we are not playing well generally speaking in the last few weeks, last, you have a mobile QB who will counter some of the pressure Rocky brings on the edges. I think it is a one-score game. I hope we pull it out but would not be shocked if we did not.

I actually think you all have a better than even chance to pull this one out, first, SDSU plays poorly in Vegas (scene of some of the worst losses in program history) Second, we start 4 freshmen up front and have not done well without a strong O-line showing, Third, we are not playing well generally speaking in the last few weeks, last, you have a mobile QB who will counter some of the pressure Rocky brings on the edges. I think it is a one-score game. I hope we pull it out but would not be shocked if we did not.

Generous post. And appreciated. We will see. I am at least hoping for a competitive game and good croud. Vegas took a shot this week and folks may be a bit fear based. I hope not. Y'all look like the class of the conference. I would love to see unlv sdsu as the big mwc game of the year. Reeeeeebeeeeels

Who here said "poke him in the eye?" That's right no one.

Plus no one said we had new strategy. Just because it hasn't worked so, should mean we should make it easier to run the ball. That makes a lot of sense.

SDSU has been the class of the conference. If UNLV fails this week, I hope that you all win out and make a New Years 6 bowl. It would be good for the conference. Beating UH in the LV bowl last year was a good win.

No one here doesn't know that it will be a tough task this week for us, and we are a long shot to pull off a win this week.

We do have a pretty good offense that should continue to get better week to week. Should be a pretty good game.
We definitely are a dog and I don't like our chances overall, and I should save the "we are due" argument for another day. But every couple/three seasons, UNLV seems to pull off an unlikely upset. Why not now? Hopefully out guys have a little more focus, pride and pep in their step given the events of two nights ago. And hopefully the crowd shows up and doesn't shut up. It could be a perfect storm for UNLV.

That could mean shipwreck just as easily. But why not? SDSU is very good, but they have chinks. It's up to UNLV to expose them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT