ADVERTISEMENT

Signs of Change

DocRebel

Lottery Pick
Aug 9, 2003
For those who were actually at the stadium there was a different feeling in the air. It was a historical game. Change is happening. The team obviously has more to fix, more corrections and growth still to make, but what I saw on Saturday was just "different". Players were making plays--a lot of different plays, a lot of different players. Guys were running harder, blocking better, fighting and feeding off the positive energy. Little things like breaking tackles in determination to reach the end zone, or blowing up almost any play ISU tried to run. It was contagious.

I might be in the minority but I'm expecting a win at UNR. I could be wrong but going into this game my expectation is to win, which as a long-time UNLV fan, is a strange feeling to have.

Yes Idaho State is a weak-ish team, but UNLV has hosted many weak teams and still lost or struggled against them. Never have the Rebels performed fireworks quite like that. Never has UNLV crushed an opponent senselessly in the first quarter, devouring them from the kickoff. We played Michigan dead even in the second half, and overall better than both BYU and Oregon State. Perhaps the team is starting to heat up. We'll find out this Saturday.

Right now it's not about the talent we have or don't have. It's about heart, character and pride. It's the "take-no-prisoners" attitude these guys are developing whether they have the talent to back it up yet or not. It's the 60 minutes of fight they give regardless of the scoreboard. They don't care who the opponent is and that's what I'm starting to love about this team. They're scrappy as hell. The talent will continue to get better over time, but as for the desire, passion and attitude of the players, I see that side of things already turning 180 degrees, in practices and in the games.

Last edited:
That was one of Sanchez's first comments to alumni.

"We have enough weight here to win championships. All we need are some junk yard dogs."

Even Michigan went on record to say that we were a better team than we looked and went so far as to also called us scrappy. Coach Belton said it right.

"All those who beat us to this point and all those who beat us in the past; they'd better have their fun now because their time is running out."

Sam Boyd Stadium should be nicknamed "The Junk Yard".
I think you are on to something. This is something that the Rebellion should latch onto. We get it nobody likes taking the 'long 17 minute trek out to Sam Boyd'. And according to a lot of folks it's outdated and ugly and a horrible stadium. Embrace the whole, this place is a Junkyard, but it's OUR junkyard angle. Make the best of it, have some fun with it until we get a new stadium.

For those who were actually at the stadium there was a different feeling in the air. It was a historical game. Change is happening. The team obviously has more to fix, more corrections and growth still to make, but what I saw on Saturday was just "different". Players were making plays--a lot of different plays, a lot of different players. Guys were running harder, blocking better, fighting and feeding off the positive energy. Little things like breaking tackles in determination to reach the end zone, or blowing up almost any play ISU tried to run. It was contagious.

I might be in the minority but I'm expecting a win at UNR. I could be wrong but going into this game my expectation is to win, which as a long-time UNLV fan, is a strange feeling to have.

Yes Idaho State is a weak-ish team, but UNLV has hosted many weak teams and still lost or struggled against them. Never have the Rebels performed fireworks quite like that. Never has UNLV crushed an opponent senselessly in the first quarter, devouring them from the kickoff. We played Michigan dead even in the second half, and overall better than both BYU and Oregon State. Perhaps the team is starting to heat up. We'll find out this Saturday.

Right now it's not about the talent we have or don't have. It's about heart, character and pride. It's the "take-no-prisoners" attitude these guys are developing whether they have the talent to back it up yet or not. It's the 60 minutes of fight they give regardless of the scoreboard. They don't care who the opponent is and that's what I'm starting to love about this team. They're scrappy as hell. The talent will continue to get better over time, but as for the desire, passion and attitude of the players, I see that side of things already turning 180 degrees, in practices and in the games.
Can I start a slow clap for this! :clap:

I think you are on to something. This is something that the Rebellion should latch onto. We get it nobody likes taking the 'long 17 minute trek out to Sam Boyd'. And according to a lot of folks it's outdated and ugly and a horrible stadium. Embrace the whole, this place is a Junkyard, but it's OUR junkyard angle. Make the best of it, have some fun with it until we get a new stadium.
Have you ever been to Mackay Stadium. Glorified bleachers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT