ADVERTISEMENT

SDSU informed MWC they are leaving.

Because if they bail now, and don't end up getting invited into the PAC, then they still have to pay out the MWC, don't get any PAC money, and will be independent until they get in somewhere else. Even if they do get into the PAC, but at a lesser media deal, it still may take them a few years to recoup the buyout fee. Even more so if they wait and have to pay double.
They are going to be invited to the Pac. If they weren't they never would have brought it up. The TV deal is holding it up. And whatever tv money they get from the pac will be exponentially better than MWC tv money, even if they aren't earning a full share.

They are going to be invited to the Pac. If they weren't they never would have brought it up. The TV deal is holding it up. And whatever tv money they get from the pac will be exponentially better than MWC tv money, even if they aren't earning a full share.
I think that fact is getting lost in this discussion somewhat.

The reason that SDSU told the MW is to be up front on their intentions, and to primarily get an extension.

SDSU will have a conference, it will be the PAC. They just don't know what the TV contract will be, which makes the move somewhat risky.

But it will be better than what they get now, with a much higher ceiling. Long term it is worth it to leave now, especially before the penalty doubles. Perfect world they would want to know what the financial situation is before the move, but my guess is that they officially make notice that they are leaving before the deadline.

Now does that mean they start in the PAC next season? I would doubt it.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

The reason that SDSU told the MW is to be up front on their intentions, and to primarily get an extension.

SDSU will have a conference, it will be the PAC. They just don't know what the TV contract will be, which makes the move somewhat risky.

But it will be better than what they get now, with a much higher ceiling. Long term it is worth it to leave now, especially before the penalty doubles. Perfect world they would want to know what the financial situation is before the move, but my guess is that they officially make notice that they are leaving before the deadline.

If they are leaving and they are still in conference this upcoming season, I’m not saying it’s right, but they better be several scores better than the conference opposition. They won’t get the calls. There would be a wink, wink from conference to officials.

Reactions: RRebel

There’s been a lot of confusion on this and the media isn’t helping.

As it was explained to me by someone that knows the MWC contracts the 17 mil penalty is giving notice that a team leaves for a new conference with one years notice if they give notice before June 30.

If they give notice AFTER June 30 the penalty doubles to 34 mil BUT they can still leave with one years notice.

So what SDSU did was try to extend the deadline so they could pay the lower fee and leave for the 24-25 season.

If they give notice after June 30 they can pay 34 mil and leave in 24-25 or 17 mil and leave in 25-26.

Regardless of what they choose they will be in the MWC this season.

They have three options:

Give notice before June 30 and wait for the pac tv deal to finalize and take a chance their handshake deal falls through. Or the pac officially invites them before June 30.

Wait until after they get an invite possibly after June 30 and pay 34 mil for leaving with one year notice

Wait until June 30 and pay 17 mil to leave and wait two seasons to leave.

If they are leaving and they are still in conference this upcoming season, I’m not saying it’s right, but they better be several scores better than the conference opposition. They won’t get the calls. There would be a wink, wink from conference to officials.
Football fans everywhere - "You can call holding on the O-Line every play!"

MWC Conference and Officials - "We are well aware of this. :)"

They will have to bite the bullet and pay up.

If Colorado and Zona end up leaving. We’ll be in the same position. Is what it is. MW needs to protect it’s current teams. MW contracts will be devalued next time there contracts are up. So they need all the money they can get lol.

They will have to bite the bullet and pay up.

If Colorado and Zona end up leaving. We’ll be in the same position. Is what it is. MW needs to protect it’s current teams. MW contracts will be devalued next time there contracts are up. So they need all the money they can get lol.
IF SDSU does decide to pay up now though, they lose all of their negotiating leverage with the PAC. They could opt out now and pay the $17M buyout, but since the PAC doesn't have a contract yet, and they're talking about doing differential payments between the different schools (More to Oregon and UW), then they may end up only getting like $10 million/year offered to them. So if they're getting 5-6 now, in the MW, it would take 3-4 years to break even from what they're getting now.

IMO, they should still do it, as should UNLV if we have the chance, because that would include us in the conversation for P5 schools, regardless of how long you've been in it. It makes you more attractive if the Big 12, or other schools try to put together conferences across the entire country.

IF SDSU does decide to pay up now though, they lose all of their negotiating leverage with the PAC. They could opt out now and pay the $17M buyout, but since the PAC doesn't have a contract yet, and they're talking about doing differential payments between the different schools (More to Oregon and UW), then they may end up only getting like $10 million/year offered to them. So if they're getting 5-6 now, in the MW, it would take 3-4 years to break even from what they're getting now.

IMO, they should still do it, as should UNLV if we have the chance, because that would include us in the conversation for P5 schools, regardless of how long you've been in it. It makes you more attractive if the Big 12, or other schools try to put together conferences across the entire country.
This is totally correct! It doesn't matter if in a few years the pac 12 falls apart and gets pic apart by other conferences, at least your in a "power 5" and would have a good chance of being picked up and remaining power 5! The stigma of being a G5 school makes it much harder to be moved up, they always pick the "power 5" schools first, we need UNLV to get in the Pac 12/Big 12 so we would be viewed as a power 5 when the next conference realignment happens again!

There’s been a lot of confusion on this and the media isn’t helping.

As it was explained to me by someone that knows the MWC contracts the 17 mil penalty is giving notice that a team leaves for a new conference with one years notice if they give notice before June 30.

If they give notice AFTER June 30 the penalty doubles to 34 mil BUT they can still leave with one years notice.

So what SDSU did was try to extend the deadline so they could pay the lower fee and leave for the 24-25 season.

If they give notice after June 30 they can pay 34 mil and leave in 24-25 or 17 mil and leave in 25-26.

Regardless of what they choose they will be in the MWC this season.

They have three options:

Give notice before June 30 and wait for the pac tv deal to finalize and take a chance their handshake deal falls through. Or the pac officially invites them before June 30.

Wait until after they get an invite possibly after June 30 and pay 34 mil for leaving with one year notice

Wait until June 30 and pay 17 mil to leave and wait two seasons to leave.
I don't see any new updates on the MWC and SDSU situation as of today. From the last letter the MWC sent SDSU they stated they would not negotiate on any of the exit fees and nor would they agree to any extensions including accepting installments of the exit fee..

Technically, there is no penalty that SDSU would pay. The $17 million is the exit fee. How the MWC comes up with that dollar amount is that in their contracts an exit fee is 3 times the annual payout. So basically the estimated approximation of $6 million dollars is this years annual payout. That times 3 takes us to that $17 million dollar exit fee. Yes 3 x 6 is 18 but as I said the exact payout is per year is actually less than the $6 million dollar figure they are throwing around. Now the $34 million dollar figure is based upon 2 x the exit fee if they give less than one year notice.

So, as of next week SDSU will not get their rounded up figure of $6 million as it will be held as part of the $17 million dollar exit fee. Therefore, SDSU will also have to come out of pocket with just $11 million dollars to complete that $17 million exit fee.

As I said the situation has not changed. The MWC accepted the SDSU resignation as it was submitted by SDSU in the formal requirement that they would notify each school President in writing and also notify the MWC Commissioner. SDSU did that. For them to say they were just asking a question is nonsense. The MWC lawyers have reviewed all of this and unless something new is reported by June 30th they will officially be in their last year and following that they will no longer be in the conference.

The last article from the San Diego Tribune on this subject had the title "Did the MWC just kick out San Diego State". Maybe that is true. If anyone knows of any other news on this I'm all ears. SDSU is staying silent.

EDIT: I forgot to add that SDSU as we all know will also forfeit it's NCAA Basketball Units which will belong to the conference.

Last edited:
I don't see any new updates on the MWC and SDSU situation as of today. From the last letter the MWC sent SDSU they stated they would not negotiate on any of the exit fees and nor would they agree to any extensions including accepting installments of the exit fee..

Technically, there is no penalty that SDSU would pay. The $17 million is the exit fee. How the MWC comes up with that dollar amount is that in their contracts an exit fee is 3 times the annual payout. So basically the estimated approximation of $6 million dollars is this years annual payout. That times 3 takes us to that $17 million dollar exit fee. Yes 3 x 6 is 18 but as I said the exact payout is per year is actually less than the $6 million dollar figure they are throwing around. Now the $34 million dollar figure is based upon 2 x the exit fee if they give less than one year notice.

So, as of next week SDSU will not get their rounded up figure of $6 million as it will be held as part of the $17 million dollar exit fee. Therefore, SDSU will also have to come out of pocket with just $11 million dollars to complete that $17 million exit fee.

As I said the situation has not changed. The MWC accepted the SDSU resignation as it was submitted by SDSU in the formal requirement that they would notify each school President in writing and also notify the MWC Commissioner. SDSU did that. For them to say they were just asking a question is nonsense. The MWC lawyers have reviewed all of this and unless something new is reported by June 30th they will officially be in their last year and following that they will no longer be in the conference.

The last article from the San Diego Tribune on this subject had the title "Did the MWC just kick out San Diego State". Maybe that is true. If anyone knows of any other news on this I'm all ears. SDSU is staying silent.

EDIT: I forgot to add that SDSU as we all know will also forfeit it's NCAA Basketball Units which will belong to the conference.
Thank you for this summary!

The other possibility is that they give a 2 year notice and pay the 17 mil fee again.

Not sure if the PAC is giving them a 1 year ultimatum or not, I would doubt it. Or if they would be willing to help the increased exit fees if that were the case.

PURELY SPECULATIVE SCENARIO:
Say that Colorado and Arizona announce that they plan to leave as expected, but it happpens after the deadline. I can see SDSU perhaps announcing at that time. But I could also see UNLV being asked to join the PAC at that time as well. I would guess that UNLV would take it, but given a 2 year notice because I cannot foresee them being able to handle the extra 17 mil.

The other possibility is that they give a 2 year notice and pay the 17 mil fee again.

Not sure if the PAC is giving them a 1 year ultimatum or not, I would doubt it. Or if they would be willing to help the increased exit fees if that were the case.

PURELY SPECULATIVE SCENARIO:
Say that Colorado and Arizona announce that they plan to leave as expected, but it happpens after the deadline. I can see SDSU perhaps announcing at that time. But I could also see UNLV being asked to join the PAC at that time as well. I would guess that UNLV would take it, but given a 2 year notice because I cannot foresee them being able to handle the extra 17 mil.
Joe is going to come from on high, down from his golden penthouse and loosen the strings on his rebel-net fortune to pay off any exit fee.

You can’t let it slide. Have to get every penny. Sd state is leaving either way

Interesting to see the letter. For full context, it would be even more interesting to see the rest of the letters from both parties

However, is SDSU for real? How do you write a letter like that and then follow it up with another letter stating "clarification: we are not actually asking to leave the conference."

Last edited:
I've been tracking this situation too, but haven't heard much. I'd guess that the MW would make some sort of statement, assuming SDSU doesn't, once the deadline passes. Who knows though, since this whole thing has been so weird. It doesn't sound like the Pac 12 media rights deal is super close to getting approved, so it doesn't seem like the PAC will give them an invite until that time, from what I've seen anyways.

I've been tracking this situation too, but haven't heard much. I'd guess that the MW would make some sort of statement, assuming SDSU doesn't, once the deadline passes. Who knows though, since this whole thing has been so weird. It doesn't sound like the Pac 12 media rights deal is super close to getting approved, so it doesn't seem like the PAC will give them an invite until that time, from what I've seen anyways.
Yeah they can talk about suing all they want. They are going to owe more than $17 million that is clear.

It only means SDSU is here through 6/30/24. They can still pay the $17M and leave for the 2025 seasons if they announce before 7/1/24, or could pay $34M and leave for the 2024 seasons if announced after that date.

Long term I don't think SDSU will be in the MWC much longer. They'd be gone if the Pac-12 (10) could get their TV deal and apportionment figured out.

From a legal standpoint, I don't think the MW should release a statement.
SDSU is going to the AAC. You heard it here first!
So that they can owe two conferences exit fees. Nah

200.gif

SDSU F'ed Around and Found Out.

Reactions: 220reb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT