ADVERTISEMENT

Running back….

Curious why did he not get more play time at NC St or decide to go into the portal? My expectation was that it wasn't NIL money, so what motivated him to come to UNLV? Was he recruited over, did he not fit their system, was he on the bad side with the coaching staff?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Curious why did he not get more play time at NC St or decide to go into the portal? My expectation was that it wasn't NIL money, so what motivated him to come to UNLV? Was he recruited over, did he not fit their system, was he on the bad side with the coaching staff?
Good question. But this might answer your question because it appears some in the media at NCST felt Allen was the most dynamic running back on their roster, should start and be the featured running back. But the coach platooned the RB’s at NCST and thats why he transferred. Here’s an opinion piece on Allen from this year.

Over crowded backfield.

Think a few years ago Altee Tenpenny.

The Bama transfer here.

Was buried at Bama on depth chart.

Went to spring practice. Watched 1st drill...He could do everything Lex could do and was 20lbs bigger.

Over crowded backfield.

The Bama transfer here.

Went to spring practice. Watched 1st drill...He could do everything Lex could do and was 20lbs bigger.
I hope the new RB has a lot better history at UNLV then Tenpenny who was worth his name. Ten pennies is more than his value while at UNLV.

Allen was apparently the 4th RB in terms of touches (and they used Concepcion as a rusher a LOT at WR) with a total of 63 rushes/catches. That would make him the Courtney Reese of NC State. His total usage per game also went down by a decent chunk from his freshman to sophomore years. We also platoon backs, but we have 3 guys that got 100+ touches last year and NC state had 1.

He's got good vision, choppy feet, low center of gravity, and sifts through traffic well. He doesn't appear to have gamebreaking speed, but likes contact and finishes runs. At 5'9" 205 he's short but not small.

Personally, I’d rather have a first hand report from a non media fan that attends than actually relying on media.
Not me. I don't reject an opinion or take from some one in the sports media just because they are in the media. Especially, when the present facts to support their take like the most receptions as a running back or averaging 7.9 yards per carry through the first 3 games which was the highest on the team. Additionally, the point of the article was whether it is better to have a lead running back who carries the bulk of the offensive load in the running game or to platoon or rotate the backs. Apparently, the coach at NCST does the later. I agree with the writer and feel if you have a talented lead running back he should carry the load.

Not me. I don't reject an opinion or take from some one in the sports media just because they are in the media. Especially, when the present facts to support their take like the most receptions as a running back or averaging 7.9 yards per carry through the first 3 games which was the highest on the team. Additionally, the point of the article was whether it is better to have a lead running back who carries the bulk of the offensive load in the running game or to platoon or rotate the backs. Apparently, the coach at NCST does the later. I agree with the writer and feel if you have a talented lead running back he should carry the load.
Aren’t we doing a platoon situation here?
Will he be good with that at UNLV?

Aren’t we doing a platoon situation here?
Will he be good with that at UNLV?
Was that decision to platoon by choice or be necessity? First, Marion didn't platoon like at UNLV at Howard or William and Mary as the offensive coordinator. He had a lead back. Next, I felt UNLV's talent at running back last year was marginal.

Was that decision to platoon by choice or be necessity? First, Marion didn't platoon like at UNLV at Howard or William and Mary as the offensive coordinator. He had a lead back. Next, I felt UNLV's talent at running back last year was marginal.
I asked aren’t we running the same platoon thing here?
And from what I saw last year, we platoon backs here at UNLV.
I hope the guy was not told he would be a lead back and that’s not the case?
Just thinking about culture and chemistry!

He was kicked off the team for ignoring team rules. What those rules are, I have no clue, but from what I could see, he didn't fit in with the team. Anything that happened after he left had nothing to do with UNLV.

No I get it, but guy passed away that's all.

The comparison was Chuck and Lex were incredible for UNLV. But when that dude hit the practice field it looked different.

Guy was every bit as fast, but bigger. More quick twitch. Those SEC/BIG dudes are just different..If this dude is similiar, could give this offense a whole nother gear.

Many times, media says what a staff wants them to say or sensationalize the crap out of things. Still waiting for Hicks to provide that much needed scoring punch as a freshman, for example, or Jaylon, the four star big that will make a difference at UNLV who comes off the bench for Riverside and registered his first and only double double against the very same 0-15 non basketball team we just squashed by 60. My eyes telling me Jaylon was awful were not lying in spite of rankings and articles of promise.

I’ll rely on my eyes or balanced low biased people I know who don’t have a dog in the race over fan boy media, that includes the NBA guys who tell me somebody doesn’t work hard at all.

No I get it, but guy passed away that's all.

The comparison was Chuck and Lex were incredible for UNLV. But when that dude hit the practice field it looked different.

Guy was every bit as fast, but bigger. More quick twitch. Those SEC/BIG dudes are just different..If this dude is similiar, could give this offense a whole nother gear.
I know he passed away, and it was a sad accident, but it isn't something I even considered bringing up in regards to his time at UNLV>

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Over crowded backfield.

The Bama transfer here.

I wish we could have seen him play. That kid was just different. Entirely higher classification of athlete than what we had in the RB room.

In this case, I wasn't that impressed with the opinion of this particular writer.
It sounded like NC state struggle with their running game, and was using Allen's performance in one game against a very weak opponent to change the coaches' strategy.

NC State was a good football team this year. Coaches aren't always right, and there are often factors not available to the public (and writers) that go into playing time decisions. But in general, I would trust a coach's opinion over a writer, especially one that seems like a fan, in cases like this.

I still think this is a good pick up and at the very least should be heavy in the rotation.

But quality depth usually dictates whether multiple back are regularly used. I'm guessing Marion didn't have the depth at those smaller schools that he can have here at UNLV. At the very least we know Jet is a quality back, that will likely factor into the rotation.

I think it is safe to say that at least 2 players will split carries, given that we run several two tailback sets. Misdirection doesn't seem to work if you never give the ball to the other guy!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT