ADVERTISEMENT

Runnin Rebels picked to finish 6th

I’m excited and look forward to the season. We have a balanced scheduled and a host of exciting recruits, if CMM is as good as I think he is - I would be surprised if we were not in the top-3 of league for the regular season. It’s been awhile since we have had legitimate hope begining a new season. It feels good.

It is good to keep expectations tamped down. I like being picked for 6th. It establishes a low bar for the season. A good chance to exceed expectations. Go Rebels!

We haven't proven anything yet so 6th place is warranted. Just the same, the team needs to pin that on a bulletin board in their locker room...maybe blow it up to poster size with '6th' in big red print.

Now that I look at last year's standings, I wouldn't call this preseason poll disrespectful. Every team generally is picked about where they finished last year, maybe up or down a spot or two. The exceptions are UNLV that are picked 5 spots higher than last year's finish and SDSU that is picked to finish 4 spots higher. A combination of tradition and recruiting seems to have propelled those two teams much higher.

2017 standings at the end of the year
Mountain West W L
UNR 14-4
Colorado State 13-5
Boise State 12-6
Fresno State 11-7
New Mexico 10-8
San Diego State 9-9
Wyoming 8-10
Utah State 7-11
San José State 7-11
Air Force 4-14
UNLV 4-14

2017-2018 preseason rankings
1. UNR (19) - 257
2. San Diego State (2) - 229
3. Boise State (2) - 211
4. Fresno State - 188
5. Colorado State - 154
6. UNLV (1) - 138
7. Wyoming - 133
8. Utah State - 102
9. New Mexico - 93
10. San José State - 41
11. Air Force - 38

Good thing the game isnt based on dunk contests. That was hard to watch. Very hard to watch. I would say we can pull zero intel from the event.

Anthony Smith and Kris Clyburn are the two best dunkers on the team. I don't know why Smith didn't participate because he is a high flyer and I am sure could have put on a show. However, it's the other aspects of his game that I have questions about.

I like our chances to score with a 3 on 1 break with the ball in Jordy's hands. In the 3 on 1s we've seen in the recent past, not too many get passed or converted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT