ADVERTISEMENT

Rocky Long to NM??

Going to be their new DC. WOW!! Must have liked it in NM.

He and Danny Gonzales are really tight.

Likely tired of the HC grind but wanted to still coach in some capacity. Helps a good friend make a smother transition.

For all the issues there, UNM has to be pretty happy where they landed with their coaching search..

Reactions: LocoRebel
Too bad. I’d have loved to have him here.

Same.

When it became clear Baer was going to be out, I was hoping UNLV would go after Arnett when he was the SDSU LB coach. But Gonzales left to ASU and Arnett was promoted.

I always thought if Sanford would have added Long to his staff as DC he might have been able to get over the hump. He was close his last two years..

Same.

When it became clear Baer was going to be out, I was hoping UNLV would go after Arnett when he was the SDSU LB coach. But Gonzales left to ASU and Arnett was promoted.

I always thought if Sanford would have added Long to his staff as DC he might have been able to get over the hump. He was close his last two years..
Sanford didn’t want a HC in waiting over his shoulder. Too insecure, a lot of first time coaches would be.

But that long wants to be a DC, could have been huge. I think he’s a guy gets the very most out of what he has by scheme and being unorthodox. Even with what we currently have, he’d get the most out of them.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Sanford didn’t want a HC in waiting over his shoulder. Too insecure, a lot of first time coaches would be.

But that long wants to be a DC, could have been huge. I think he’s a guy gets the very most out of what he has by scheme and being unorthodox. Even with what we currently have, he’d get the most out of them.

Long at UNLV should have been a priority when it was discovered he was leaving SDSU.. now we can only imagine what he would do with the D here!

Long at UNLV should have been a priority when it was discovered he was leaving SDSU.. now we can only imagine what he would do with the D here!

Maybe he was a priority. Do you know that he wasn't?

He and Danny Gonzales are extremely tight. Gonzales has said in multiple interviews he talks to Rocky regularly. Sometimes about football sometimes just to chat.

There is every possibility that UNLV could have offered him triple what UNM did and he wouldn't have taken the job here.

There was just an article today where he specifically said, he wanted to be in New Mexico and finish his career there and retire there.

He's doing a good friend a solid.

He's wired different and not strictly motivated by money. If he was he would have taken the Syracuse job. He continually took less money at SDSU so he had more money to pay his staff.

Maybe he was a priority. Do you know that he wasn't?

He and Danny Gonzales are extremely tight. Gonzales has said in multiple interviews he talks to Rocky regularly. Sometimes about football sometimes just to chat.

There is every possibility that UNLV could have offered him triple what UNM did and he wouldn't have taken the job here.

There was just an article today where he specifically said, he wanted to be in New Mexico and finish his career there and retire there.

He's doing a good friend a solid.

He's wired different and not strictly motivated by money. If he was he would have taken the Syracuse job. He continually took less money at SDSU so he had more money to pay his staff.

Do you know that he was?

Do you know that he was?

Nothing concrete, but people typically good with information say there was likely some contact. I'm also not the one making the rash assumption.

And if you look at all the other factors, getting him here was unlikely. Choose to ignore that if you wish.

Much like you ignored how I told you which direction the coaching search would likely go..

Nothing concrete, but people typically good with information say there was likely some contact. I'm also not the one making the rash assumption.

And if you look at all the other factors, getting him here was unlikely. Choose to ignore that if you wish.

Much like you ignored how I told you which direction the coaching search would likely go..

You mean your guess as to how things would go?

We all have opinions and make a guesstimate on occasions, mine are different than yours get over it!
I am not a fan of assistants or low level HC's being hired here and never will be!

But the jury is still out on Arroyo and Otzelberger.. not a fan of either hire for different reasons.

We all have opinions and make a guesstimate on occasions, mine are different than yours get over it!
I am not a fan of assistants or low level HC's being hired here and never will be!

But the jury is still out on Arroyo and Otzelberger.. not a fan of either hire for different reasons.

And that's fine.

Not a huge fan of Arroyo over some of the other candidates.

But.

That's not what you did here though.

You made assertion/assumption. That's different.

And it was likely incorrect.

Last edited:
I get why he would want to go to UNM. He has strong ties there and to Danny.

It does suck that he was available and he went to a different conference foe each time. The SDSU move stung more. I was hoping for Syracuse if it wasn't us. But it is what it is.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT