ADVERTISEMENT

Ricky White

Jezzuus man I was worried this was an 'has entered the portal' thread!

Thanks for the heart attack.
Didn't mean to raise any blood pressure. Nah, I think our team is good to go. Can't wait to hear how the team play with the new QB1.

Reactions: Rebelsss
Didn't mean to raise any blood pressure. Nah, I think our team is good to go. Can't wait to hear how the team play with the new QB1.
I wonder what a more mobile QB/better run game and a better WR2 option will mean for Ricky's numbers.

i don’t think much. a better #2 means more for the #2; less over the top help as Rickey will be a priority. A better running QB means more for the TE and RB out of the backfield since the LB will have to stay at home to take the QB into account.

if we’re gashing defenses underneath there will be a lot of single coverage on the outside for Rickey as they’ll have to bring safeties down to assist. Creatively using de Jesus as a primary weapon is what will open the field for Rickey. We saw that in the Kansas game.

i don’t think much. a better #2 means more for the #2; less over the top help as Rickey will be a priority. A better running QB means more for the TE and RB out of the backfield since the LB will have to stay at home to take the QB into account.

if we’re gashing defenses underneath there will be a lot of single coverage on the outside for Rickey as they’ll have to bring safeties down to assist. Creatively using de Jesus as a primary weapon is what will open the field for Rickey. We saw that in the Kansas game.

Said earlier I actually think White's catches, yards and TDs may drop this season but his yards per catch may go up.

Between just scripted running plays to running backs you have to add in Sluka (presumably) will have more designated runs than Maiava. Then add in Sluka (again presumably) scrambling more than Maiava, it will reduce White's touches. Add in what looks to be an upgrade at the #2 spot and I think his production will go down a bit, but he'll have more big plays this year. Just fewer overall catches.

Said earlier I actually think White's catches, yards and TDs may drop this season but his yards per catch may go up.

Between just scripted running plays to running backs you have to add in Sluka (presumably) will have more designated runs than Maiava. Then add in Sluka (again presumably) scrambling more than Maiava, it will reduce White's touches. Add in what looks to be an upgrade at the #2 spot and I think his production will go down a bit, but he'll have more big plays this year. Just fewer overall catches.
I think our offense will be much better with more playmakers on the field and a more dynamic QB, but I can see Ricky's targets go down.
But I think he will be open more, and doubled less.
His numbers could still be really good, even comparable but only if the whole offense is significantly better and we are totaling up more yards and having more sustained drives over last season.

Reactions: reagan21
I wouldn’t count Hajj- Malik out yet. It seems like he’s doing well this spring from what I’m reading. I don’t know how much of it is media marketing, I haven’t seen a practice personally.

The media videos project a confident and dynamic qb so far. Granted I know those are highlight videos. In any case, I believe Sulka will have a fight on his hands for QB1.

I wouldn’t count Hajj- Malik out yet. It seems like he’s doing well this spring from what I’m reading. I don’t know how much of it is media marketing, I haven’t seen a practice personally.

The media videos project a confident and dynamic qb so far. Granted I know those are highlight videos. In any case, I believe Sulka will have a fight on his hands for QB1.
This is the way it should be!

No gift-wrapping a starting job to anyone, go out and earn it, that’s what will make us better!

I think either way we will have a more dynamic QB in terms of the run game. Sluka seems to be the better runner, but both seem much more capable than Maiava

That's the hope. Competition.. Sluka will have a lot of catching up to do in fall for sure. They played similiar level of competition.

That's the hope. Competition.. Sluka will have a lot of catching up to do in fall for sure. They played similiar level of competition.
Can't remember the last time UNLV have someone starts as QB1 and end up as QB1 at the end of the season?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I'm not sure Clayton played a full year without getting hurt.

But if we are talking start and finish as the #1 then that might be right.

I'd have to look..
This subject has been brought up several times in the past decade plus. I remember Clayton being referenced as the last QB to start every game. I haven't cross checked that, and my memory should not be trusted 100% lol.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
This subject has been brought up several times in the past decade plus. I remember Clayton being referenced as the last QB to start every game. I haven't cross checked that, and my memory should not be trusted 100% lol.

I think you're right.

Omar Clayton is the correct answer?
One more question. Can you remember who was the last UNLV punt returner return it for a TD?

I know that UNLV had a 98 yard kickoff return verse CSU in 2011.
2001 UNLV verse SDSU punt return 52 yard return for TD by Troy Mason

Reactions: 1Tripoda
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT