ADVERTISEMENT

Rebels likely to play on retractable grass field

Is this confirmed or just speculation?

In Phoenix that have a large adjacent area to let the grass grow outside and a relatively open end of the stadium to allow it to be pulled in. The designs presented so far do not seem to feature this.

Las-Vegas-Stadium-0704-1024x576.jpg

It was a part of the official renderings that the Raiders released so I think it's in the plans.

I would think they would do two different turfs for both teams. The raiders aren't gonna want to play on turf that was used the day prior

I was thinking that would be ideal for a fast turnover and to keep the look of our current field design. Not sure how that could be designed in, but it seems really worth it for not only our games, but other events having flexibility. Our field design has really grown on me... and when we go to a bowl game this year it's really going to be an official tradition for me to see our team walk out onto the field that looks like it does now.

I would think they would do two different turfs for both teams. The raiders aren't gonna want to play on turf that was used the day prior

I was thinking that would be ideal for a fast turnover and to keep the look of our current field design. Not sure how that could be designed in, but it seems really worth it for not only our games, but other events having flexibility. Our field design has really grown on me... and when we go to a bowl game this year it's really going to be an official tradition for me to see our team walk out onto the field that looks like it does now.

Have unlv turf underneath and then grass rolls over it on Sundays?

If a turf under the grass why even while over field markings? I'm not saying that not what they will end up with however if find it interesting it would even be broached if they weren't sharing a field.

Article said the Cardinals replace the turf every November. Nobody else plays there regularly, so I can only imagine how battered this turf would get with, possibly, two games per week. Maybe they could schedule alternating weekends at home. Pain in the butt, though. Would you replace it twice a year? That's some serious $$. The turf would still see double duty. If you had arti turf underneath, how would that work with the track system to move the grass in and out? Would you have seams through the arti turf? Yuck! Would you roll it over the surface? Again, seems like it would be murder on the Rebels' surface. Just playing devils advocate, here.

Reactions: mvvsmith
Article said the Cardinals replace the turf every November. Nobody else plays there regularly, so I can only imagine how battered this turf would get with, possibly, two games per week. Maybe they could schedule alternating weekends at home. Pain in the butt, though. Would you replace it twice a year? That's some serious $$. The turf would still see double duty. If you had arti turf underneath, how would that work with the track system to move the grass in and out? Would you have seams through the arti turf? Yuck! Would you roll it over the surface? Again, seems like it would be murder on the Rebels' surface. Just playing devils advocate, here.

You bring up a great point, but I think it's certainly worth them taking a really hard look at engineering wise. It would solve so many concerns and make both sides very happy in addition to opening up options for other events. Again, if it's even possible. This is a new state of the art stadium! - design something new! (easy for me to say).

Last edited:
Yeah I don't know the answers to those questions. I wonder how they do it in the other stadiums that share fields

Raiders and Rebels are likely to play on retractable grass field similar to University of Phoenix. Pretty bad ass if you ask me.
I would love to have this, and it is what the Raiders want, but it may not make it through the final plans due to The Rebels' needs and the lack of space for parking on the site.

the Parking is a legit issue due with a finite space to work with.

That aside, just spitballing, but a artificial surface could be implented, but not in a permanent fashion. Since it isn't real grass, it would not need to be on one giant motorized platform. Could be rolled or sectioned out for our games.

Most domes do not have a permanent football surface. They often host other events there. Their field turfs are rolled out as needed regularly.

Last edited:
I foresee more land than 63 acres. There are parcels bordering that site that he can add if the price is right. Probably a premium now though.
They have to add more parcels just to get to the minimum parking requirements. It's going to be very difficult to get enough space just for parking and the county is definitely going to have to give waivers on the number of spaces required per square foot under the building code. Of course, it would be so much easier if the monorail could be extended to the actual stadium site but the cab companies aren't going to allow that to happen.

the Parking is a legit issue due with a finite space to work with.

That aside, just spitballing, but a artificial surface could be implented, but not in a permanent fashion. Since it isn't real grass, it would not need to be on once giant motorized platform. Could be rolled or sectioned out for our games.

Most domes do not have a permanent football surface. They often host other events there. Their field turfs are rolled out as needed regularly.
Would rather have grass but field turf is more likely than not, which isn't so bad since it will be in a dome.

I believe a grass surface is a stipulation of the lease agreement. Could be wrong. Even if the turf is not retractable ( though it grows better if it is) field marking changes, even drastic ones are a common occurrence nowadays. I think it will be retractable, simply because of the events and conventions that could be booked. Con-AGG and other equipment shows need concrete. In said in another post in response to a post about Davis being a "poor " NFL owner that he will be a billionaires from opening day. Event beside f

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Well if it is going to be a real grass field, then it is going to be retractable. Here in Houston they went with sod patches in a dome (though a retractable roof) and changed to field turf 2 seasons ago due to issues with the sod.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT