ADVERTISEMENT

Random Thoughts

BornRebelRed

Retired Number
Oct 15, 2007
I don't think the sky is falling. I am seeing some interesting pieces being molded and shaped on the court. Jojo has improved by leaps and bounds and can light it up and play some pretty solid D. I know a lot of people are waiting for Johnson to come in and take that spot but Jojo may not be so easy to beat out. Z Morgan & Clyburn are both excellent defenders and Clyburn is also a very good rebounder. Dembele is coming along nicely and when we team him up with D Morgan down low next year they should be a nightmare for opposing teams.

One of the big complaints I heard a lot the last few years was we either didn't have or failed to run an offense. That doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. They have definite plays that they are running and the only time they don't is when they get a little confused with the defense or JP starts pounding the ball and gets double teamed.

All the pieces are in place except for one alpha dog to lead the pack. It's been so long since we had that one guy that could come down and get the points we need and put the team on his back. Jojo is trying to be that piece but I believe we are looking for someone on the wing that can just take it over.

Not saying one really good player can take us to the final four but we could certainly be winning a lot more games. Who was our last alpha in that mold? Banks, The Hammer, Ricky Sobers, Johnson, Owens & JR Rider were some of my favorite. We need another!

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
I don't think the sky is falling. I am seeing some interesting pieces being molded and shaped on the court. Jojo has improved by leaps and bounds and can light it up and play some pretty solid D. I know a lot of people are waiting for Johnson to come in and take that spot but Jojo may not be so easy to beat out. Z Morgan & Clyburn are both excellent defenders and Clyburn is also a very good rebounder. Dembele is coming along nicely and when we team him up with D Morgan down low next year they should be a nightmare for opposing teams.

One of the big complaints I heard a lot the last few years was we either didn't have or failed to run an offense. That doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. They have definite plays that they are running and the only time they don't is when they get a little confused with the defense or JP starts pounding the ball and gets double teamed.

All the pieces are in place except for one alpha dog to lead the pack. It's been so long since we had that one guy that could come down and get the points we need and put the team on his back. Jojo is trying to be that piece but I believe we are looking for someone on the wing that can just take it over.

Not saying one really good player can take us to the final four but we could certainly be winning a lot more games. Who was our last alpha in that mold? Banks, The Hammer, Ricky Sobers, Johnson, Owens & JR Rider were some of my favorite. We need another!

Boy, you are dating yourself by referencing Ricky Sober, a player who was a rebel back in the early 70's when Tarkanian just arrived at unlv.

I basically agree with you that the coaches and players get a free pass this year. How do the players grow from this year to the next and how do the coaches recruit to fill in the gaps. That are the criteria I am using to assess the team.

Who was our last alpha in that mold? Banks, The Hammer, Ricky Sobers, Johnson, Owens & JR Rider were some of my favorite. We need another!

I believe Wink and perhaps Tré Willis could be considered for that list. Both go-to guys when the game hung in the balance.

In today's game, it's harder to develop that kind of player. Anyone with a hint of talent is off to the NBA before you know it. Pat McCaw could have been one of our truly great Rebels, but it would have required him staying in school for two more seasons. The same might have been said for Zimmerman. But we'll never know.

I'm not certain about Sobers, but I'm pretty sure that all of those players you named, played through their senior year. Freddy, Armon, Larry and Eddie definitely did. J.R. might have left a little early, given his academic and extra-curricular "adventures". Although those guys were incredibly loyal to Tark, it's hard to imagine that any of those names would have been around for their senior seasons.

It's killing the college game, but you can't blame the players. The money is too tempting.
confused-shrug-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

One wk 'til Spring Training!
baseball-text-smiley-emoticon.gif

Reactions: TimothyC3
This season has the very real possibility of being the all-time worst in the history of UNLV, and probably with only 1 team making it to the big dance. Let that sink in for a random thought.

:cool2:On the positive side, there is only one direction possible when you hit rock bottom.

Reactions: cmarshel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT