ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread Predictions for UNT

Didn’t get to tune in, had work all day.. I’m glad I was proven wrong.. Pleasantly surprised by that outcome tho, would never have expected them to blow em out & put up those kind of points.. I guess the Rebs do got something brewing.. Im excited for what’s to come, hopefully they continue to progress throughout the season..

Loving Brumfields efficiency.. If he keeps up this play, we have to be looking at a bowl, I would think..

Doug's numbers were very efficient. It was weird though, passing game felt a little disjointed...It was probably the drops that made it feel that way. When I saw his completion percentage I was surprised it was that high.

Run game was impressive. As game wore on, you could tell North Texas defenders were becoming a little less 'committed' to tackling Robbins..Reminded me of the Frank Summers game against Utah.

I was with you, I thought this game was going to be really tight with both teams in the 30s..

Defense showed a few holes today but came up big in important spots. UNT is a very good running team and can hurt you on play action. When they went tempo they had some success, one drive in particular.

2nd half the defense was still giving up some yards, but hard to complain since they only gave up 7 after the break. (2nd week in a row they've buckled down) That points to some solid adjustments by the staff.

Its early. Not ready to say Arroyo has it all figured out...

But.

How many times in the Sanchez era were the Rebs ahead at half or down with a score like today of 23-20 only to get blown out the second half and lose 45-30.

Utah State game is interesting. Had that penciled as an L before the season. Not so sure now..

Doug's numbers were very efficient. It was weird though, passing game felt a little disjointed...It was probably the drops that made it feel that way. When I saw his completion percentage I was surprised it was that high.

Run game was impressive. As game wore on, you could tell North Texas defenders were becoming a little less 'committed' to tackling Robbins..Reminded me of the Frank Summers game against Utah.

I was with you, I thought this game was going to be really tight with both teams in the 30s..

Defense showed a few holes today but came up big in important spots. UNT is a very good running team and can hurt you on play action. When they went tempo they had some success, one drive in particular.

2nd half the defense was still giving up some yards, but hard to complain since they only gave up 7 after the break. (2nd week in a row they've buckled down) That points to some solid adjustments by the staff.

Its early. Not ready to say Arroyo has it all figured out...

But.

How many times in the Sanchez era were the Rebs ahead at half or down with a score like today of 23-20 only to get blown out the second half and lose 45-30.

Utah State game is interesting. Had that penciled as an L before the season. Not so sure now..
Thanks for the breakdown/your POV.. I plan on relaxing & watching the game back.. Im with you, not trying to get too excited or say the Rebs are bound for success yet, but I’m impressed.. That was a solid team that they just waxed.. I need to watch the film that you guys you saw, but the score sure reflects progress.. I’m excited man..

& Ya, it’s nice to see a well coached team come out in the 2nd half/make adjustments & take it to them.. Not familiar with that when it comes to Reb FBall, hope it continues.. We’ll see.. But it seems we got some excitement/hope within the program at the moment, that’s all you can ask for from a fan-base stand point.. Look forward to next Sat..

Not so sure on USU now either.. As long as we stay healthy, we got a good chance with anyone.. IMO

It is worth mentioning that this game truly was closer than the score would make you think.

UNT took risky chances, and UNLV made them pay for it. Some close calls went our way. Fumbles/no fumbles, Targeting, etc. Now I think every close call that was made was the correct one, though I'm a little surprised both targeting calls were retracted.

But some key stops really dictated the game. Is that luck? Is that grit? Probably a bit of both.

With UNT getting some momentum, we had no chance at slowing them down. If we had time to line it up, gets subs in, then D did a decent job against a good running team.

Meanwhile UNT could not stop our running game in the second half, even against our 2's. This is a similar team in terms of quality. There was a reason this was a pick em game. But that difference really shows how well our depth, strength, and conditioning have improved. Previous years we have been gashed in the run game due to fatigue and reduced depth.

I agree that the offense doesn't quite seem to be quite living up to potential, but they were very effective. Which is quite amazing in itself. I do think it has chance to be better, this season, which is is an exciting prospect. Meanwhile the defense continues to look good. The secondary actually is maybe the biggest question mark, which was supposed to be the strength (according to Arrigo FWIW). I know they are out 2 key guys one may not return this year, but still.

It is worth mentioning that this game truly was closer than the score would make you think.

UNT took risky chances, and UNLV made them pay for it. Some close calls went our way. Fumbles/no fumbles, Targeting, etc. Now I think every close call that was made was the correct one, though I'm a little surprised both targeting calls were retracted.

But some key stops really dictated the game. Is that luck? Is that grit? Probably a bit of both.

With UNT getting some momentum, we had no chance at slowing them down. If we had time to line it up, gets subs in, then D did a decent job against a good running team.

Meanwhile UNT could not stop our running game in the second half, even against our 2's. This is a similar team in terms of quality. There was a reason this was a pick em game. But that difference really shows how well our depth, strength, and conditioning have improved. Previous years we have been gashed in the run game due to fatigue and reduced depth.

I agree that the offense doesn't quite seem to be quite living up to potential, but they were very effective. Which is quite amazing in itself. I do think it has chance to be better, this season, which is is an exciting prospect. Meanwhile the defense continues to look good. The secondary actually is maybe the biggest question mark, which was supposed to be the strength (according to Arrigo FWIW). I know they are out 2 key guys one may not return this year, but still.
I agree it was closer than the final score. 23-20 at half, 30-27 halfway through the third …

It’s the flip flop of what we’ve seen happen so many times in the past. UNLV usually implodes and a blowout final score was actually not indicative of of a closer game.

That’s why I’m happy. Seizing the opportunity and forcing will instead of the passive approach which always became an insurmountable implosion.

Those are the things I’m talking about when I say it “looks different”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT