ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread Predictions for UNT

Not backing off my opinion that we should be bowl eligible this year! And next year there better not be one person on this board saying they would be okay with 4-5 wins. This guy needs to get it done now, not later, too much going on to be losing ball games like last week with realignment seemingly going on all around us and never including us because we don’t win games!

I think Cal is a significantly better team than North Texas. UNLV played Cal down to the very end with a chance to win on the road. We are playing North Texas at home instead of on the road, so I expect UNLV should win by 2-3 TD's if they play to the same level as verse Cal. The big question is will they play to that level at home?

Currently ESPN has UNLV favored to win a total of six games. At the beginning of the season UNLV was favored in two games.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I think Cal is a significantly better team than North Texas. UNLV played Cal down to the very end with a chance to win on the road. We are playing North Texas at home instead of on the road, so I expect UNLV should win by 2-3 TD's if they play to the same level as verse Cal. The big question is will they play to that level at home?

Currently ESPN has UNLV favored to win a total of six games. At the beginning of the season UNLV was favored in two games.
Take off your scarlet glasses, 86. Cal is not significantly better than North Texas according to people who make a living making odds. Close game either way.

Not backing off my opinion that we should be bowl eligible this year! And next year there better not be one person on this board saying they would be okay with 4-5 wins. This guy needs to get it done now, not later, too much going on to be losing ball games like last week with realignment seemingly going on all around us and never including us because we don’t win games!

I can assure you nobody would be ok with anything less than bowl eligibility next season.

You need not worry.

Last edited:
Reactions: rebel5280
I said this before and I still think it holds true. We had to beat either Cal or North Texas to have a chance at bowl eligibility. So I think this is a must win if we want a chance to go to a bowl game this year.
I think this will be a very close game and come down to the last possession to see who wins.
24-21

Agreed.

I thought this was the swing game at the start of the season.

I’m actually more worried than most about this game.. Seeing a lot of W predictions.. UNT’s QB isn’t the most accurate, but he is mobile & knows how to spread it around the field.. But, my biggest concern, is their 2 RB’s.. Adeyi/Adaway can really run the ball, they have depth & can split reps to keep fresh legs on the field.. Those guys, along with the passing game, is cause for concern..

Our D looks very much improved, but this is a multi faceted team/offense they are about to play.. I hope the D can shut down one or the other.. I think it’ll be a close game like ya’ll, but I need to see the Rebs finish now.. This is the game to show progress is being made..

UNT 28
UNLV 24

I’m actually more worried than most about this game.. Seeing a lot of W predictions.. UNT’s QB isn’t the most accurate, but he is mobile & knows how to spread it around the field.. But, my biggest concern, is their 2 RB’s.. Adeyi/Adaway can really run the ball, they have depth & can split reps to keep fresh legs on the field.. Those guys, along with the passing game, is cause for concern..

Our D looks very much improved, but this is a multi faceted team/offense they are about to play.. I hope the D can shut down one or the other.. I think it’ll be a close game like ya’ll, but I need to see the Rebs finish now.. This is the game to show progress is being made..

UNT 28
UNLV 24
I don’t think it’ll be an easy game but it has become a near “must win” in a sense. Drop this game, there will be a collective “here we go again” from about half of the already small fanbase and all the feel good fuzzies from a spectacular offensive display against a really poor team will fade into oblivion.

I’d be lying if I said it wouldn’t impact me in that way at least somewhat - it won’t stop me from tuning in or attending … but it’ll move a couple notches back from the forefront of the mind …

I don’t think it’ll be an easy game but it has become a near “must win” in a sense. Drop this game, there will be a collective “here we go again” from about half of the already small fanbase and all the feel good fuzzies from a spectacular offensive display against a really poor team will fade into oblivion.

I’d be lying if I said it wouldn’t impact me in that way at least somewhat - it won’t stop me from tuning in or attending … but it’ll move a couple notches back from the forefront of the mind …

There are 2 fronts why I think this game is important as well.

First it is almost a must win from getting bowl eligble this season, which we all know would be huge. The good news is that the MW seems to be down, though it doesn't seem like that helps our schedule that much. Though USU and SDSU look a little more beatable now. Curious how SDSU fares with Utah this week.

But the second front is the fan base itself. Week 0 helped, even with a bad opponent. A Cal win would have given a boost, even though Cal isn't great, beating a Pac 12 team on the road as 2 TD dogs would have moved the needle.

Losing close to Cal doesn't hurt bad, but it doesn't help either.

A win here, to a team that is pretty good, will help, especially at home.

But really, the perception of UNT is not good. So a loss will hurt more than a win will help.

But building some local buzz can go a long way. Making UNLV football games a fun, community experience would so huge, and undoubtedly help the team as well.

There are 2 fronts why I think this game is important as well.

First it is almost a must win from getting bowl eligble this season, which we all know would be huge. The good news is that the MW seems to be down, though it doesn't seem like that helps our schedule that much. Though USU and SDSU look a little more beatable now. Curious how SDSU fares with Utah this week.

But the second front is the fan base itself. Week 0 helped, even with a bad opponent. A Cal win would have given a boost, even though Cal isn't great, beating a Pac 12 team on the road as 2 TD dogs would have moved the needle.

Losing close to Cal doesn't hurt bad, but it doesn't help either.

A win here, to a team that is pretty good, will help, especially at home.

But really, the perception of UNT is not good. So a loss will hurt more than a win will help.

But building some local buzz can go a long way. Making UNLV football games a fun, community experience would so huge, and undoubtedly help the team as well.
It sucks that name recognition and personal perception carries so much weigh with fans. Beating a poor name team/name conference creates a stronger perception than beating a quality no name team. And it can carry over to the media, as well, to further influence the perceptions.

Take off your scarlet glasses, 86. Cal is not significantly better than North Texas according to people who make a living making odds. Close game either way.
Obviously you don't know much about how they make odds? Odds are set to split the betters, not based on who should or shouldn't win the game. We will wait and see who needs glasses after the game! UNLV has covered almost every game they have played over the last two seasons which has more to do with the past history and perception of the program then the current level of play.

Only two teams in the MWC have covered the spread on all of their games so far this season and those are UNLV and Air Force. On the other side North Texas is 1-2 against the spread.

If you think that the Massey composite ratings that have UNLV ranked 108th, North Texas ranked 102, and unr ranked 94th are right, then you have a point that the game will be close, but I personally believe UNLV is significantly better than their composite ranking. Do I think UNLV is a top 50 program - Not even close, but I also do not believe UNLV is in the bottom 22 teams.

Last edited:

UNT 28
UNLV 24

It's going to be close.

I'm going with the theory (hope) that they....

1) Learned something from all the close losses last year.

2) Gained confidence by playing Cal tough on the road..

Reactions: Jay's Rebel's
It's going to be close.

I'm going with the theory (hope) that they....

1) Learned something from all the close losses last year.

2) Gained confidence by playing Cal tough on the road..
Agreed.. “hope” something has been gained/learned from all the close losses over the past year too.. That’s why it’s hard for me to predict a W.. I need to see them go out and make it happen.. If they do, I will be excited & the Rebs will have some great momentum going into MWC..

Can’t stand prosperity. Block a punt, ball is in the end zone with only five Rebels there and they botch the recovery and only get a safety rather than an easy TD.

Reactions: rebel5280
Offense ran them over in 2nd half, and 2 huge stops blow out city.

As bad as Cal is on this board they lead most of the game at N. Dame, as long as UNLV stays healthy, we're looking at winning record, this is yr they can beat anyone in MWC, no more not competing in this crap conference, get use to it.

This was a decent UNT team, rest assured this is a good win. I wasn’t sure with our D through 3 quarters but on those 4th and shorts, they were a top 40 defense today!

Agreed.. “hope” something has been gained/learned from all the close losses over the past year too.. That’s why it’s hard for me to predict a W.. I need to see them go out and make it happen.. If they do, I will be excited & the Rebs will have some great momentum going into MWC..

That's how you beat an opponent at home in a Pick'em game if you have actually turned a corner.

Yardage given up was a concern.

But holding them to seven 2nd half points was impressive.
And this is on the heels of a previous strong second half performance by the defense.

If you’re going to tell me the UNLV defense is going to really buckle down in the second half like this … they’ll be above 500 because it seems like the offense, far from perfect, does have some firepower.

What hasn’t been mentioned as a sign of “different things” with this team is turnovers allowed. I’m not sure what the take away margin is but we are usually on the bad end of the stick. And protection has held up pretty decently.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
And this is on the heels of a previous strong second half performance by the defense.

If you’re going to tell me the UNLV defense is going to really buckle down in the second half like this … they’ll be above 500 because it seems like the offense, far from perfect, does have some firepower.

What hasn’t been mentioned as a sign of “different things” with this team is turnovers allowed. I’m not sure what the take away margin is but we are usually on the bad end of the stick. And
protection has held up pretty decently.

Today was odd..

Based on the numbers (yards/completion percentages) the passing game was efficient.

For some reason it's still felt disjointed a bit.

Drops/penalties, played a role in it..

2-1...I'll take it..

In all seriousness, I've moved from being this will be a super competitive 4-8 or 5-7 team to, I'll be surprised (and disappointed if this team doesn't get to bowl eligibility

Today was odd..

Based on the numbers (yards/completion percentages) the passing game was efficient.

For some reason it's still felt disjointed a bit.

Drops/penalties, played a role in it..

2-1...I'll take it..

In all seriousness, I've moved from being this will be a super competitive 4-8 or 5-7 team to, I'll be surprised (and disappointed if this team doesn't get to bowl eligibility
Sometimes it’s nice to be surprised, isn’t it?

They look like a “real” football team. No extraordinary strengths, but they seem or at least have been - solid across the board, no glaring heavy weaknesses that are typically exploited time after time.

Sometimes it’s nice to be surprised, isn’t it?

They look like a “real” football team. No extraordinary strengths, but they seem or at least have been - solid across the board, no glaring heavy weaknesses that are typically exploited time after time.

Defense got tested a bit by North Texas. Gave up some big plays. Surrendered more yards than I would like...

But..

As a unit they only surrender 20 for the game and just 7 after half. (I don't put the 7 from the KO return on the defense)

Run game was working today and they continued to pound the rock. Never got cute...

I thought play calling was excellent, and when a play broke down Doug was able to improvise..

Defense got tested a bit by North Texas. Gave up some big plays. Surrendered more yards than I would like...

But..

As a unit they only surrender 20 for the game and just 7 after half. (I don't put the 7 from the KO return on the defense)

Run game was working today and they continued to pound the rock. Never got cute...

I thought play calling was excellent, and when a play broke down Doug was able to improvise..
For the second straight game the defense was much better second half than the first. Coaching adjustments. Nice to see for a change.

That's how you beat an opponent at home in a Pick'em game if you have actually turned a corner.
Didn’t get to tune in, had work all day.. I’m glad I was proven wrong.. Pleasantly surprised by that outcome tho, would never have expected them to blow em out & put up those kind of points.. I guess the Rebs do got something brewing.. Im excited for what’s to come, hopefully they continue to progress throughout the season..

Loving Brumfields efficiency.. If he keeps up this play, we have to be looking at a bowl, I would think..

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT