ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: What would you consider a successful first season?

The camp was in Oakland last year, only 8 kids were able to attend. The LA camp was to full for out of area prospects,
Polu, Jefferson, Johnson and Fertitta all signed among those kids.

Wasted argument, you can show up if you like. It starts at 10am

Originally posted by Bullmastiff 1:
Will-

In a world where college football coaches are making millions of dollars, don't tell me that it is not a cut throat business. Gene Chizik won a national title and was fired from Auburn after 4 years. On top of that Auburn had to pay the man about 11 million dollars NOT TO coach. I would call that type of pressure cut throat. I would also say that coaches are going to send recruiters to look under a rock if they think there is a player under it.

I already destroyed your densely populated argument in two other threads when I mentioned both Michigan State and Michigan. Both of whom are in a densely populated state and still recruited predominantly outside of the state. If building teams meant simply recruiting out of a densely populated area then Houston should be one of the top programs in the nation year in and year out. Why isn't Maryland or even Syracuse a national powerhouse considering both are in densely populated states? Will we went over this and I pulled up the recruiting classes of both low population states and densely populated states. The medium number for in state recruits was around 25% except for a few exceptions which were Florida, Texas Ohio and California...

Post videos again of Chris Goree and Jamell Garcia-Williams and Gabe McCoy and have everybody on here watch those highlight films. I would be willing to bet that they would overwhelming say that not only was McCoy better but the talent and football being played around him was better. Post video of Andrew Peterson vs Xzavier Campbell or Lexington Thomas and again the overwhelming sentiment would be that the those two guys were better prospects and they played vs better opposition. Hell post Chris Goree's tape vs Loalagi. Post Al Lake tape as a defensive back vs Mouton. Want to bet who people would think was the better prospect and who was facing better opposition..Oh wait we did that in a thread already. Remember you posted tape of those guys and when everybody chimed in saying the out of state guys looked better and the competition looked better you said you can't go off of tape. You then tried to justify Gabe McCoy having 18 sacks and Garcia Williams having only 6 sacks on the fact that Gabe faced inferior blocking schemes..Which you know is complete BS..The thread is still available for all to see...This isn't a knock on the Vegas kids, either..Its a knock on your inability to have an unbiased opinion.

I will give you credit for one thing though you are amazing at dodging questions so I will try again.Houston and Las Vegas are nearly same size in terms of population..Please post the number of FBS offers made to Houston area kids vs the number of FBS offers to Las Vegas kids.

Also how is it that there is a Rivals camp here in Las Vegas and the 'elite' athletes from here are going be participating yet somehow word of there amazing athletic prowess doesn't reach other schools around the country?

Will you accuse people here of having rose colored glasses when it comes to UNLV football. I think you have rose colored glasses when it comes to Las Vegas talent. Are there good players in Vegas? Of course..Just not as many FBS guys as you like to make it out to be...If they were that good somebody would find them..Players fall through the cracks and get missed not entire cities...
I also issue a challenge, show me even two teams from the East, Midwest or South besides Nebraska (who has 2 CA & 1 NV) and Notre Dame (2 CA and 2 NV) that signed 2 or more kids from any of the western states.

If that is too tough, show me just 3 who signed even one 3-star rated or below prospect from a western state

High school only

This post was edited on 2/22 12:13 AM by willlevi

Will-

That is a ridiculous challenge concerning eastern teams recruiting players from the west. First off it is not relevant to this discussion. Secondly I brought up the City of Houston which is similar to Las Vegas in population and is West of the Mississippi. USC has a kid from Georgia, 2 from Texas 2 from Utah 1 from Vegas. California has a huge population yet USC still felt the need to go outside of the state to find talent.

You still have not discussed why there is a difference in the number of FBS recruits coming out of Houston vs Las Vegas.

Las Vegas is 4 hours away from LA, 4-6 hours from most major cities in Arizona and Utah. Even Reno only grabs a couple of players a year from the Las Vegas area. You act like we are in the middle of nowhere or on an Island like Hawaii. Obviously we are not going to have schools like UNC, or Florida State or Michigan or Alabama sending people to recruit here when they have plenty of talent those regions to grab. But you would think a relatively underpopulated state like Utah would be poaching a ton of kids from Nevada. You would think Arizona or Arizona State would be gobbling up all the superior athletes coming out of Las Vegas. Arizona grabbed two kids from Louisiana and two from New York. That is quite a bit further than Las Vegas..Utah which isn't very far grabbed kids from California one from Florida another from Louisiana and one from New York. Why would they travel and recruits kids from states further away than what Las Vegas is.? All colleges recruit their regions predominantly and then try and get a foothold in states slightly outside their region. This usually occurs because of past relationships or stops by coaches on a staff.

Will there are good players in this city I know this. I simply do not think the overall talent level is as deep as you try to portray it. And based on how lightly a major city like Las Vegas was recruited this year the numbers seem to prove that.

Originally posted by Bullmastiff 1:
Will-

That is a ridiculous challenge concerning eastern teams recruiting players from the west. First off it is not relevant to this discussion. Secondly I brought up the City of Houston which is similar to Las Vegas in population and is West of the Mississippi. USC has a kid from Georgia, 2 from Texas 2 from Utah 1 from Vegas. California has a huge population yet USC still felt the need to go outside of the state to find talent.

You still have not discussed why there is a difference in the number of FBS recruits coming out of Houston vs Las Vegas.

Las Vegas is 4 hours away from LA, 4-6 hours from most major cities in Arizona and Utah. Even Reno only grabs a couple of players a year from the Las Vegas area. You act like we are in the middle of nowhere or on an Island like Hawaii. Obviously we are not going to have schools like UNC, or Florida State or Michigan or Alabama sending people to recruit here when they have plenty of talent those regions to grab. But you would think a relatively underpopulated state like Utah would be poaching a ton of kids from Nevada. You would think Arizona or Arizona State would be gobbling up all the superior athletes coming out of Las Vegas. Arizona grabbed two kids from Louisiana and two from New York. That is quite a bit further than Las Vegas..Utah which isn't very far grabbed kids from California one from Florida another from Louisiana and one from New York. Why would they travel and recruits kids from states further away than what Las Vegas is.? All colleges recruit their regions predominantly and then try and get a foothold in states slightly outside their region. This usually occurs because of past relationships or stops by coaches on a staff.

Will there are good players in this city I know this. I simply do not think the overall talent level is as deep as you try to portray it. And based on how lightly a major city like Las Vegas was recruited this year the numbers seem to prove that.
Your claim is that teams don't recruit with a regional focus, that they would look under a rock to find talent and that they would be here looking for players because they recruit the nation.

My claim was that teams recruit the region and that teams from the other side of the nation generally don't recruit the west coast.

Texas is in the middle of the US and has several FBS schools in the state that recruit nearly 100 percent of instate as well as several more regional school.
Las Vegas has one FBS school.
You have the elite Pac 10 followed MWC programs that generally recruit regionally first with only San Diego State being within 500 miles. That said, only Washington State and Colorado haven't had Nevada kids on the roster in the 3 years with most teams having more than 2 in the Pac 10.

Las Vegas is in the middle of nowhere but kids are still finding opportunity and moving on to play college football in high numbers on all levels. We are the only state on the west coast that offers no FCS, D3, D2, NAIA or JC options to continue to allow our kids the opportunity to develop in sports beyond baseball.

BTW: The Arizona crossover kids were prep school guys.
This post was edited on 2/22 9:59 AM by willlevi

I know. My comment was totally meant to be tongue and cheek.
It is fun to look back at preseason predictions. I think the W/L total is in line with what most thought. That said I think the play on the field has been better than what most expected, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Reactions: LasVegasReb
Baring some strange set back, this should be at least a 4 win season with Wyoming coming at the tail end of the year. Finishing the season with a win there should provide some positive team momentum moving into the off-season.
There is a good chance the team can beat CSU and /or SDSU in the next two weeks with bowl possibilities still on the table. If the team beats Colorado State, hopefully they will offer some promotions to get a large crowd out to Sam Boyd for the San Diego State contest

Baring some strange set back, this should be at least a 4 win season with Wyoming coming at the tail end of the year. Finishing the season with a win there should provide some positive team momentum moving into the off-season.
There is a good chance the team can beat CSU and /or SDSU in the next two weeks with bowl possibilities still on the table. If the team beats Colorado State, hopefully they will offer some promotions to get a large crowd out to Sam Boyd for the San Diego State contest
Was going to say the same thing. If UNLV beats CSU UNLV should make whatever push finances allow to get people out for the SDSU game. To get to a bowl year 1 under Sanchez would be a huge boost for the program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT