ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on accepting "lower" post season?

What post season tournament(s) should UNLV be willing to accept?

• NCAA Tournament only

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • NIT or NCAA only

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • CBI is acceptable

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Anything with 5 guys on the court per team and a spherical ball

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

LocoRebel

Retired Number
Apr 7, 2011
Just curious where folks here stand on the Rebs accepting various non NCAA tournament post season bids.

Ideally, I'd say NIT and NCAA. I think the current status of the program would also have to include CBI. UNLV ain't better than that right now. But get this thing stabilized (regularly bubble or better) and NIT should be the lowest tourney.

EDIT: For the sake of this conversation, let's say this is over the next 5 seasons

Just curious where folks here stand on the Rebs accepting various non NCAA tournament post season bids.

Ideally, I'd say NIT and NCAA. I think the current status of the program would also have to include CBI. UNLV ain't better than that right now. But get this thing stabilized (regularly bubble or better) and NIT should be the lowest tourney.

EDIT: For the sake of this conversation, let's say this is over the next 5 seasons
NIT you take. Don’t have to be happy about it but you take it. I don’t like that it’s celebrating mediocrity but if the seniors want to play, I’d leave it up to them, you play.

The rest? I wouldn’t touch. Celebrating mediocrity is one thing. Celebrating failure is another. UNR hangs those lesser banners as achievement, it’s just sad.

NIT you take. Don’t have to be happy about it but you take it. I don’t like that it’s celebrating mediocrity but if the seniors want to play, I’d leave it up to them, you play.

The rest? I wouldn’t touch. Celebrating mediocrity is one thing. Celebrating failure is another. UNR hangs those lesser banners as achievement, it’s just sad.
I definitely get this take. Can't say I disagree. In the current scenario, I don't think a CBI does much. If there was more returning production, or guys who haven't seen much action, etc., and the possibility was higher of CKK returning, I would be more inclined.

But so many guys won't be returning, anything below an NIT doesn't even serve a purpose. An NIT is still a celebratory place for the sad state of the program, IMO.

Reactions: WYNN or Dye
For us, NCAA or NIT. I think you take one of the rest if you have an extremely young team you feel could get somewhere. You use the CBI to give them a taste of what is coming.

Last edited:
The CBI is a cash prize tournament for the winner.

It’s in Florida…

Not a bad place to visit.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
Unless you are a perennial tournament team, I don't think you pass up the NIT. Any non NCAA post season tournament, I do think you should have some sort of young core to build from. Now the prospects of that have changed these days, so it makes it tough.
This year you 100% take the NIT.
Typically I am a pass for the others, but this season? It depends.
Obviously hard pass if they know they are going to get a new coach.
If they want to keep CKK or use it as an extended trial period? Maybe, if they think all of the young guys are running it back.
Would winning the CBI keep Kev's job? Maybe not, but I'm guessing it would if they accepted an invite. Though going one and done in a tourney may certainly lose his job?

So UNLV spends a bunch of money to play in the CBI tournament just to give the players money? Cost the university money and nobody cares to even watch the games!
if these..players can’t be motivated by a cash prize

I'm a bit pessimistic. We aren't going anywhere.

The NCAA Tourney is pretty much off the table. The NIT may also may be more difficult. Remember they changed the NIT selection starting this year. There will be 12 teams from the P5 + Big East that get automatic bids. That leaves just 20 at-large spots available. I'm not holding my breath.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT