ADVERTISEMENT

OUCH

Doneoett

National Player of the Year
Jun 15, 2015
Gorman up 35-0 over Liberty in state championship game. Running clock in the 1st quarter.

Didn't think it could get worse? Think again.

Wow. 84-8 in the 4th.

And that's with starters pulled after a series into 2nd half.

Think the Gorman hate was thick before? Full throttle now.
Kenny Sanchez deserves and earned that hate, not Gorman. Starters should have been pulled after the 1st series of the 2nd QTR. Kenny could learn a few things from Tony like honor, respect and sportsmanship.

Kenny Sanchez deserves and earned that hate, not Gorman. Starters should have been pulled after the 1st series of the 2nd QTR. Kenny could learn a few things from Tony like honor, respect and sportsmanship.
It'll be firmly placed at Gorman's doormat. Always will. Private vs public and all that.

But if Liberty was truly #21 in the country, they should have at least competed, no?

He probably could have started the third string and spelled them with the second string and won the game handily.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
It'll be firmly placed at Gorman's doormat. Always will. Private vs public and all that.
Yeah. Gorman needs to take some of the blame if they don't do something about it but it's displaced blame to put it all on the entire program just because Kenny was a jerk.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Yeah. Gorman needs to take some of the blame if they don't do something about it but it's displaced blame to put it all on the entire program just because Kenny was a jerk.
This is long before either Sanchez. There's been a very deep hatred for Gorman from Las Vegas public school people. And I get it. Gorman can get kids from wherever they want, high schools are zoned. That doesn't stop public schools from poaching kids from other zones but it still doesn't even the playing field.

Gorman is extremely arrogant. I know, I graduated from there and I couldn't stand the attitude. We look down on public schools, we are better. That's just the thinking. I couldn't stand it, but my parents wouldn't allow me to go to the public school of my choice.

Gorman IS better. Academically, athletically... but instead of having some grace about it, we look down on and rub noses in it. It's rich, it's snobby. Of course, it costs a lot to be that good and they have the advantages others don't have.

It's almost like a midmajor complaining about the advantages a Blue Blood has. And they are real. And the Bluebloods not even recognizing the existence of mid-majors.

Won't surprise me if/when public stops playing Gorman. But that won't stop Gorman from having the best teams.

Athletically, Gorman wasn't always there. Plenty of years where they weren't the best. I remember games when I went there (mid 80's). It was a pretty level playing field back then. But in the 2000's, Gorman made a HUGE commitment to athletics. And when you are talking about boosters with that kind of cash, it's not going to take long to surpass what Vegas public offers.

This is long before either Sanchez. There's been a very deep hatred for Gorman from Las Vegas public school people. And I get it. Gorman can get kids from wherever they want, high schools are zoned. That doesn't stop public schools from poaching kids from other zones but it still doesn't even the playing field.

Gorman is extremely arrogant. I know, I graduated from there and I couldn't stand the attitude. We look down on public schools, we are better. That's just the thinking. I couldn't stand it, but my parents wouldn't allow me to go to the public school of my choice.

Gorman IS better. Academically, athletically... but instead of having some grace about it, we look down on and rub noses in it. It's rich, it's snobby. Of course, it costs a lot to be that good and they have the advantages others don't have.

It's almost like a midmajor complaining about the advantages a Blue Blood has. And they are real. And the Bluebloods not even recognizing the existence of mid-majors.

Won't surprise me if/when public stops playing Gorman. But that won't stop Gorman from having the best teams.

Athletically, Gorman wasn't always there. Plenty of years where they weren't the best. I remember games when I went there (mid 80's). It was a pretty level playing field back then. But in the 2000's, Gorman made a HUGE commitment to athletics. And when you are talking about boosters with that kind of cash, it's not going to take long to surpass what Vegas public offers.

You realize Gorman had zero football state titles between 1982 and 2007 but now has 9 titles.
Gorman has a booster advantage over public schools that is larger than a D2 schools versus Ohio State or Alabama.
I will add that Liberty has found a major advantage as well since they added a zone variance for the program after they lost had trouble getting to peak attendance level. They have 7 straight Sunrise Titles.
That said, I can't stand Gorman's the import of top athletes from out of state to fill voids on the roster but this year's team just featured a locally grown secondary that was ridiculously good. It was nearly impossible to make plays though the air and defensive tackle Haskell Garrett is just an outstanding football player.
Hawaii transfer Palaie Gaoteote is one of the top linebackers in the country while Farrell Hester high efforts and physicality complements them all.
Biaggio Ali-Walsh would have been a Gael if they were elite or not while Dorian Thompson is actually the most talented quarterback on the roster despite Tate Martell.
We have youth programs that are dominate and many of the Gaels players have come from those programs while the Aggies and Patriots have also gained from those programs. One day things will balance out again but I don't know when that will happen.
The city still has a load of outstanding athletes that at most programs that rank among the top athletes in the country.

You realize Gorman had zero football state titles between 1982 and 2007 but now has 9 titles.
Gorman has a booster advantage over public schools that is larger than a D2 schools versus Ohio State or Alabama.
I will add that Liberty has found a major advantage as well since they added a zone variance for the program after they lost had trouble getting to peak attendance level. They have 7 straight Sunrise Titles.
That said, I can't stand Gorman's the import of top athletes from out of state to fill voids on the roster but this year's team just featured a locally grown secondary that was ridiculously good. It was nearly impossible to make plays though the air and defensive tackle Haskell Garrett is just an outstanding football player.
Hawaii transfer Palaie Gaoteote is one of the top linebackers in the country while Farrell Hester high efforts and physicality complements them all.
Biaggio Ali-Walsh would have been a Gael if they were elite or not while Dorian Thompson is actually the most talented quarterback on the roster despite Tate Martell.
We have youth programs that are dominate and many of the Gaels players have come from those programs while the Aggies and Patriots have also gained from those programs. One day things will balance out again but I don't know when that will happen.
The city still has a load of outstanding athletes that at most programs that rank among the top athletes in the country.
So should the public schools jump on Liberty as they do Gorman? You can be 4 months pregnant or 7 months pregnant, but you are pregnant.

Vegas could learn from Northen Utah school districts....up here, all the high schools have open enrollment, unless a class is full from enrollment in the school's boundaries, anybody can go to any school....if you like the basketball coaching/program at Lone Peak and your class isn't full at that school, you can enroll there. However, you can't transfer and play at another school, unless hardship is proved. This allows any school to develop the best program, in-state, as possible....

Lone Peak was #1 in the country in hoops using this model... my son's school is becoming the best in baseball...we won it all last year and are loaded this year...every year we get freshman from outside the boundaries that come for the baseball program. It's competitive, and makes the kids work hard to compete...I like the model.

Last edited:
Who cares really? I used to hate Gorman but then I graduated high school and could care less what is happening. Its unfair but so is a lot of stuff in life. If we told the other nevada high schools "Gorman is too good for you to play against" what message does that send to the students? If you don't wanna loose by 56 then get better. We lost to Gorman my junior year then destroyed them by like 40 my senior year. This is an ALL time great high school team this year. They'd beat everyone in the country and that's including other private school from different states that recruit.

Reactions: ricovegas
Maybe Gorman and Arch Bishop Murphy in Washington should have a game. Most of their opponents forfeited this season.

I graduated from gorman and I can't stand them. I was there on an academic scholarship, wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise. When I was there we were on a football dry spell, even with Demarco Murray. Hated the elitist attitude. Program has a lot to learn about humility and class. Went to the Kahuku game, gorman refused to shake hands at the coin toss. All but two refused to take a knee when a kahuku kid was carted off the field injuried. Numbers like the liberty game only reinforce the need for class to comeback to gorman football. Don't get me wrong, I don't wish anything bad for the kids. They worked hard, but I wish they had lesson at being humble. Money doesn't buy class.

Who cares really? I used to hate Gorman but then I graduated high school and could care less what is happening. Its unfair but so is a lot of stuff in life. If we told the other nevada high schools "Gorman is too good for you to play against" what message does that send to the students? If you don't wanna loose by 56 then get better. We lost to Gorman my junior year then destroyed them by like 40 my senior year. This is an ALL time great high school team this year. They'd beat everyone in the country and that's including other private school from different states that recruit.
We beat them too, but that was...gulp, over 27 years ago. It's not the same now, Gorman has grown to the point that it's not even remotely fair....they're like Findlay Prep now, half the kids aren't even from Nevada and came here solely for football.

Still open enrollment at the high schoolschool could help.

We beat them too, but that was...gulp, over 27 years ago. It's not the same now, Gorman has grown to the point that it's not even remotely fair....they're like Findlay Prep now, half the kids aren't even from Nevada and came here solely for football.

Still open enrollment at the high schoolschool could help.
When I was in school, Gorman had a few "ringers" to supplement the programs. Now it's a team of all stars.

Open enrollment won't help. Liberty had it a few years ago and that opened the Islander pipeline for them. The upside is getting trounced in state every year. Gorman, like Joe said, is superior and every local kid who can go there will, as will many non-locals looking to pad their resume'. To their credit, they schedule as much top caliber out of state opponents. If only they could create an elite division for teams like that, but that's nonsense. The top 6A teams in Texas still have to play other 6A teams, which are very good. Gorman is essentially a 6A team in a 4A state.

Like it or not, Gorman has pushed the rest of the public schools to a higher level. Liberty may have been destroyed by Gorman, but Liberty would also beat 99.9% of all the teams in the country easily. Liberty was the 21st ranked team in the entire country which would never have happend if Gorman was not there to push them.

P.S. Liberty is as good as any team in Texas. They beat the then #1 ranked team in Texas.

I graduated from gorman and I can't stand them. I was there on an academic scholarship, wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise. When I was there we were on a football dry spell, even with Demarco Murray. Hated the elitist attitude. Program has a lot to learn about humility and class. Went to the Kahuku game, gorman refused to shake hands at the coin toss. All but two refused to take a knee when a kahuku kid was carted off the field injuried. Numbers like the liberty game only reinforce the need for class to comeback to gorman football. Don't get me wrong, I don't wish anything bad for the kids. They worked hard, but I wish they had lesson at being humble. Money doesn't buy class.
How? I was offer 2 years scholarship out off 8th grade. I couldnt find a ride back and forth from school. My family was so poor they can only afford two jeans and 3 t-shirts for me. Academia was easy..

It is well known.
This is the main reason why Kenny was such a moron to run up the score like he did.
It is moronic. Need to have some discretion in that situation.

But had Gorman won 38-8, people would still be screaming about the unfair advantage. Even if Gorman kicked a late field goal to win 10-8 Would have had public people screaming.

But 200-8 has them humiliated and screaming.

It is moronic. Need to have some discretion in that situation.

But had Gorman won 38-8, people would still be screaming about the unfair advantage. Even if Gorman kicked a late field goal to win 10-8 Would have had public people screaming.

But 200-8 has them humiliated and screaming.

I was more disappointed in the padding of the score versus Arbor View.
Up 42-17 with five minutes left in the game, Tate Martell tossed a touchdown versus the Aggie backups
The Gales added another touchdown run in the last minute to pad the score to 56-17.

I was more disappointed in the padding of the score versus Arbor View.
Up 42-17 with five minutes left in the game, Tate Martell tossed a touchdown versus the Aggie backups
The Gales added another touchdown run in the last minute to pad the score to 56-17.
That was terrible too. Tate should have been out of the game at the beginning of the 4th QTR. Gorman needs to take control over this crap whether Kenny stays or not.

I remember being upset in 1996 because we lost to Gorman in our Homecoming game. I went to Cheyenne. It was humiliating. Gorman had just started "investing" in basketball at that time; I think 3 of their starting 5 were zoned for Cheyenne and Demetrius Hunter was at Green Valley. That would have been quite a team at Cheyenne....football was not a priority for Gorman at that time.

It is well known.
This is the main reason why Kenny was such a moron to run up the score like he did.

I believe a BIG part in running up the score is for winning another MYTHICAL national championship. In many polls, Mater Dei was #1 ahead of BG. This game was before knowing that MD lost, so Sanchez/BG had to "make a statement" in order to win their 3rd straight.

I believe a BIG part in running up the score is for winning another MYTHICAL national championship. In many polls, Mater Dei was #1 ahead of BG. This game was before knowing that MD lost, so Sanchez/BG had to "make a statement" in order to win their 3rd straight.
I greatly appreciate your reply and reasoning.
I still can't condone what Kenny Sanchez did. Gorman must put a stop to this no matter who the coach is.

Name a single college football team ranked in the top 50 that doesn't run the score up these days.
Nebraska and several others. Just 4 years ago, Nebraska kneeled on the ball 4 times in a row when they made a 1st and goal with 2:21 remaining for a 13-7 victory. I can give you many more examples if you like.

However, this discussion is about HS football. The comparison is apples to oranges.

Last edited:
You mean the same Nebraska that fired their coach? Or the same Nebraska that ran the score up 70-7 against Idaho St. 4 years ago? Or is that the same team that was up in the same game 59-0 and still throwing the ball?

All teams with any level of success run the score up due to the simple fact teams are rated/ranked based on how easily they beat other teams, the more points the better.

All teams with any level of success run the score up due to the simple fact teams are rated/ranked based on how easily they beat other teams, the more points the better.

I have NEVER seen De La Salle HS run up the score on a team. Ive seen them kneel inside the opponents 10 yard line a few times. THAT is a team with the utmost class

You mean the same Nebraska that fired their coach? ...
Yes and the reason for it has absolutely no relevance to the discussion.
.... Or the same Nebraska that ran the score up 70-7 against Idaho St. 4 years ago? ....
Final score was 73-7 but thanks for mentioning that fine example of sportsmanship. If Kenny Sanchez had been in charge, Nebraska would have won 150-0 or worse. Nebraska was up 35-0 at the end of the 1st QTR and inserted the entire 2nd string into the game to end the half at 45-0. The 2nd string was in for just one series in the 3rd QTR before they were replaced by the 3rd string. The 4th string started the 4th QTR and was replaced mid way by 5th & 6th string players. Not one pass was thrown in the 4th QTR.The last two TDs were scored by the 6th string IB Imani Cross.

Now compare that to Gorman leaving Tate Martel in to throw TD passes in the 4th QTR against over matched defenses in the 4th QTR, e.g., Arbor View.

But don't waste your time because there's no comparison. You have yet to explain why running up the score in HS football is acceptable simply because college teams do. It's easy to see why you avoided the subject since you simply can't support it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebtillDeath
I have NEVER seen De La Salle HS run up the score on a team. Ive seen them kneel inside the opponents 10 yard line a few times. THAT is a team with the utmost class

Yup. Gorman did the same thing when Tony was the HC.

5 and 6th string players, your full of yourself, since in order to have 5-6th string players they would need to have about 150 players which is limited by the number of players allowed on a team, and that does not change the fact they still passed the ball into the 4th quarter.

As for De La Salle HS not running the score up on teams, you have a very selective memory about them taking a knee not to run the score up on teams. 76-0 over James Butler is not running the score up? The only reason they did not run up the score in most of the games was because they struggled to even win almost half of their games this season.

Go take a look at some of the You Tube videos for De La Salle and you will see them up by 40 late in the game still passing and trying to score until the very end of some of their games.

By the way go and look at the 58-14 victory for Liberty over Basic. Liberty was up 44-7 late in the game and still throwing bombs through the air. That is the same team you say was run up on by BG.

Last edited:
5 and 6th string players, your full of yourself, since in order to have 5-6th string players they would need to have about 150 players which is limited by the number of players allowed on a team....passed the ball into the 4thquarter.

They did not pass the ball in the 4th qtr in that game. They only attempted 18 passes all game long.

You really need to buy a clue about the size of big time football teams. In 2012, Nebraska routinely suited up 125 players for home games. Ever hear of the term "walk-on"? Nebraska routinely carries 25 to 55 walk-ons and suits them up for every game along with the scholarship players which is limited under NCAA rules at 85, e.g., 85 + 55 = 140.

You also don't seem to understand simple team terminology regarding depth. Just because a team has an 8th string RB doesn't mean that you have 8 full teams on the offense and on the defense, e.g., Nebraska only had 5 QBs suited up for that game. In that game, Nebraska was 8 deep at I-Back, 107 players participated and Imani Cross was the 6th string I-Back in that game where 7 total I-Backs played.

Once again, even though you clearly demonstrated how clueless you are about big time college football, you still can't explain how this is relevant to HS football. Nice try with all of the avoidance maneuvers but you still failed miserably.

...By the way go and look at the 58-14 victory for Liberty over Basic. Liberty was up 44-7 late in the game and still throwing bombs through the air. That is the same team you say was run up on by BG.

Not relevant. A crime committed on a criminal is still a crime.

Last edited:
Yes and the reason for it has absolutely no relevance to the discussion.

Final score was 73-7 but thanks for mentioning that fine example of sportsmanship. If Kenny Sanchez had been in charge, Nebraska would have won 150-0 or worse. Nebraska was up 35-0 at the end of the 1st QTR and inserted the entire 2nd string into the game to end the half at 45-0. The 2nd string was in for just one series in the 3rd QTR before they were replaced by the 3rd string. The 4th string started the 4th QTR and was replaced mid way by 5th & 6th string players. Not one pass was thrown in the 4th QTR.The last two TDs were scored by the 6th string IB Imani Cross.

Now compare that to Gorman leaving Tate Martel in to throw TD passes in the 4th QTR against over matched defenses in the 4th QTR, e.g., Arbor View.

But don't waste your time because there's no comparison. You have yet to explain why running up the score in HS football is acceptable simply because college teams do. It's easy to see why you avoided the subject since you simply can't support it.

Lets not forget, our 3 win team last season beat Idaho State 80-8 last season.
At times they have had difficulty stopping a solid running game.

I am clueless? Sorry, but when you go to an SEC game talk to me, lived in Baton Rouge and have gone to many big time football games, and almost ever team in the SEC runs up the score. You need to get into the real world when those college teams that run up the score are the teams that go to bowl games, and the high school teams that run up the score are the ones that get ranked. When you get a job as a college football coach, you can come and talk about your expertise, but until then those are just your opinions.

As for it being a crime to run up the score, show me what law says you can't. You need to get into the real world where almost every legit top ranked college or high school team run the score up routinely.

As for the avoidance maneuvers, I pointed out De La Salle runs up the score in conflict with the idea that they take a knee, pointed out that Liberty runs up the score when you have a problem with BG doing the same thing to them, I don't see any avoidance in those facts! I guess you will just ignore the fact that almost every top ranked team runs up the score and that almost every poll voter, whether it be in high school or college, votes more based on the score than any other factor.

It is also very obvious you have against Kenny Sanchez, with all the names you call him, which is your problem because he is the coach of the number 1 ranked team in the nation and you are not.

Last edited:
Maybe part of it (keeping best players in) is so those players can get more looks from the college scouts. A coach needs to look out for his players

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT