ADVERTISEMENT

Has UNLVFB shed the coaching graveyard label?

Rosegreen1

All American
Dec 2, 2023
Hauck : Coaching Montana in FCS Championship game tomorrow.

Sanchez : Head Coach at NMSU

Arroyo : OC at Arizona State

Reactions: jmcnamaraiii
I don’t think so. A FCS head coach and a low end P5 coordinator aren’t going to change that perception. I think Sanford did both of those after UNLV and most people consider his career a big failure from where he was sitting at Utah in 2004. I think Hauck makes 200k at Montana and that’s why guys like Matt Entz can win multiple FCS championships at NDSU but leave to be a Linebacker coach at USC.

Sanchez getting another shot is nice and I do think it’s good for UNLV but honestly NMSU football is the absolute bottom of FBS. It’s not a desirable job for anyone. I really hope Sanchez succeeds but I don’t expect it.

The fact is we’ll be considered a coaching graveyard until a head coach is successful here and gets a better FBS head coaching job. Maybe that’s Odom in another year or two or maybe he sticks around long term and we can keep that graveyard label for a while longer.

Reactions: InZoneU
Look at the previous coaches,

Strong: Left CFB to become a realtor.

Horton: QB coach at Wisconsin. (Interim HC at Minnesota years later)

Robinson: retired.

Sanford: OC at Louisville, now coaches HS.

I mean that’s a pretty sad list and definition of a graveyard.

Look at the previous coaches,

Strong: Left CFB to become a realtor.

Horton: QB coach at Wisconsin. (Interim HC at Minnesota years later)

Robinson: retired.

Sanford: OC at Louisville, now coaches HS.

I mean that’s a pretty sad list and definition of a graveyard.
That doesn't make UNLV a coaching graveyard, that shows that UNLV has shown their insanity. The definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing and expect different results.

Coach Strong spent 6 years as an assistant coach and then became head coach at UNLV (0 years as a head coach prior to of after UNLV)

Coach Strong spent 8 years as an assistant coach, then had one year as the head coach at Nevada with no experience then at UNLV (1 year as a head coach prior to or after UNLV)

Robinson - The only coach with real head coaching experience, but he was already past his prime and had been out of coaching for two years following his dismissal from USC. Was a high school coach after UNLV. Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

Coach Sanford spent over 25 years as an assistant coach without even 1 year of head coaching experience. After leaving UNLV he went on to continue as an assistant coach. Now that he is all but retired, he is coaching at Faith Lutheran. (0 years as a head coach prior or after UNLV)

Coach Odom is the first coach that had any real coaching experience at a higher level program, who wasn't past retirement age, or a lifetime assistant. Removing the insanity of the past AD's and President's has provided the chance for UNLV to actually become relevant.

I think coach Odom has shown that a good coach can do great things at UNLV. One more successful season will remove the graveyard stain from UNLV.

Now as for basketball - it is looking more and more like UNLV is going down the wrong path with continued insanity from past AD Desiree (one foot out the door/politically correct hire) Reed-Francois and Marta Mean/Len Jessup, etc.)

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Short answer to the original post, NO!
To shed perception of a loser it takes more than what Sanchez, Arroyo and Hauck do, check back in a few years. And it will take more than one good season in 10 to say UNLV is turning any kind of a corner as a program too!

What happened to Shane Steichen and the Colts.

A dropped pass.

All seriousness though, Steichen almost made the playoffs without the QB they wanted, missed JT for first 6 games then another few... and we're a dropped pass away from possibly making it...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT